Fvck KT266A, SiS735 still matches it!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/Leadtek/WinFast7350KDA/7350kdapreviewp1.htm" target="_new">http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/Leadtek/WinFast7350KDA/7350kdapreviewp1.htm</A>
Shows the SiS 735 still matches the Kt266A for performance. The test was on a newer, better motherboard. ECS has never been a performance leader, the Leadtek board shows the SiS 735 in a better light. If Asus and Abit made SiS735 motherboards they would most likely do even better. Screw VIA the way they screwed you and insist on getting a product from a company who actually CARES about things like stability and compatability.

Back to you Tom...

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
YES!
That's exactly what I've been preeching for the last 2 months!
Wait for a top-teir manufacturer to build a SiS735 motherboard and it will match, if not beat, that 'new' via chipset. I, for one, perfer stability and compatability <i>in addition</i> to performance!

Oh, sh!t, i just notice your new title! cool...i haven't been to the 'other' section, so I don't know if you gloated about it there :)

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stick_E_Mouse on 10/15/01 04:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Sweet, that looks nice. I've been waiting for the top-tier boards. Looks like they're going to be very nice.
Hurry up, Abit... :)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Isn't it amazing, when a cheap SiS board looses a benchmark it's assumed to be the chipset's fault, but when a VIA board looses it's assumed to be the board manufacturers fault? Why do people assume that supporting AMD means supporting VIA? THEY ARE NOT THE SAME COMPANY PEOPLE! In fact, they make competing products!

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
LOL!
oh yeah, that via c3 is a REAL DEAL!
passive cooling, like a mac...
while that is cool, look how bad they perform...i mean, even if i was going to be building a computer for a business or something of the sort, i dont think that i would buy the c3...for how it performs, they would have to pay me to use it...
and yeah, the 735 is obviously more worth it, and it is cooler because it is only one chip...it outperforms something that uses two chips...
lol
and as far as i have heard, they are stable as hell...
btw, has anyone used the version that was made for the p4?
i am pretty sure that sis released a chipset that was for the p4, and i havent heard anyone who has used it...
not sure if it uses ddr or rdram, but if it uses ddr, and is cheaper than the intel 845 or whatever, and whatever via is offering, then man, sis should have a major corner on the market...too bad they have no real marketing...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I hear the ECS SiS P4 DDR board will perform slightly less than the VIA chipset when used with PC2100. Blame ECS again. But even that board outperforms the VIA when equiped with PC2700. The SiS P4 DDR solution is made for it.

Back to you Tom...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Forget Abit, I don't trust them! Get Asus or MSI! I'm personally not getting anything from Abit ever again.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 10/15/01 09:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
it would be nice to see MSI put out a sis board. i do like this ECS, but it just doesn't seem like it's got that KICK, if you know what i mean. grrr, where's my da#n psu!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i would love to see msi put out a 735 board also...
with the live bios and the fuzzy logic...hehe
now that would be a sweet a$$ board!

-DAvid

Well my BX133R mbo OCs to 145MHz no probs. Technically its only warranteed to 100MHz but its fine. It would probably do more if the AGP multiplyer was more like the i815.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

G

ECS K7S5A may soon be using an AWARD BIOS, instead of the AMIBIOS. This is just speculation, but if you go to their website, ECSUSA.com, Click on-->Support-->Downloads-->BIOS, then click on the link to their BIOS Flash Utility, you will find under the AWARD Flash section, a listing for support of the SiS735 chipset - K7S5A2. I wasn't paying much attention at the time, so the 2 had me confused, and then I saw I was under the Award section. Could possibly indicate a support for overclocking features? Doesn't ASUS, et al, use this BIOS chip. p.s. If you haven't tried out NewEgg.com, well maybe you shouldn't, I've become quickly addicted to buying from them. Their prices speak for themselves, and they don't rape you on shipping and handling! I just pumped a load of cash into their pockets, and so should you!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ECS will probably never do a public release of an overclockers BIOs as they are mainly an OEM supplier. About Award and AMI, there BIOS is interchangable, I once had a board where both versions were available, tried both, they both worked.

Back to you Tom...

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i wish there was some time frame to know when and even if MSI or some reputable manufacturer is going to get in gear with this chipset. i liked it from the time i started reading on different boards/chipsets for my upgrade. and i was originally holding out for msi or something because i thought then (couple months ago) it would only be weeks.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
According to <A HREF="http://www.sis.com/wheretobuy/635735cus.htm" target="_new">SiS' website</A>, MSI doesn't look like it will be making a board with the 735 chipset. Then again, the last update was 2001/8/28.
Anywho, I'll be looking at the Abit and Asus boards...Gigabyte might offer something nice as well.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO, VIA is threatening to tighten the supply or raise prices of their chipsets to manufacturers who also use the SiS chipsets. ECS isn't as worried about that as VIA dependant companies like Asus, Abit, MSI. etc. So the VIA dependant companies were waiting to see if the new VIA chipsets would perform better than the SiS735, which would give them an excuse to skip it. Well, at first it would appear that the KT266A was superior, but now the truth comes out-the ECS board simply wasn't designed well enough to take full advantage of the 735's performance. Go figure, ECS's VIA chipset motherboards usually lost all benchmarks to companies like Asus and Abit with the same chipset. Did we expect more from them with their SiS board? The good performance of the 735 was no indication of ECS being a manufacturer of top performing boards, but rather ECS being a below average performance motherboard manufacturer who just happened to be the only one using the superior 735 chipset.

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
boy, that is some FRIENDLY competition from via there, eh?
that is really messed up...kind of like a monopoly if you ask me...THREATENING a raise in prices, or a drop in supply...
wtf is via doing man...they are screwing sis out of anything, but making ecs a competitor...
and shame on the other motherboard companies for not at least making a sis 735 motherboard...
if all the motherboard manufacturers made them with the 735, and for other processor boards used intel or amd, then via would realize that they arent the only option, just the option that has the most publicity...
eh, i really dont mind that ecs isnt a major brand, the thing that matters here is price/performance/stability, and since this board has one me over on all fronts, then i will support them...
too bad, because before this, i couldnt think of myself owning anything else other than the via based motherboards!
what a shame!

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
and do you think that msi/abit/asus got ahold of the 735, and one of the reference boards so that they could see what it could do?
because if they did, and via told them to wait on the kt266a, then i have to puke because the kt266a is neither a new chip, or a better performing one...
so bad choice on the major brand name side...

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Isn't that something? Now read Monday's news at <A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/index.stm" target="_new">http://www.ocworkbench.com/index.stm</A> to see how VIA plans on getting around Intel's threat to do similar to those who use VIA's P4X266. Since VIA can't get manufacturers to use the P4X266, they plan on manufacturing the boards themselves! This should make Asus, Abit, MSI, extremely happy! Not only did they put off manufacturing the SiS for VIA's sake, now VIA is one of their competitiors!

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, Intel had every right not to issue VIA a licence, VIA has been breaking laws for a while concerning Intel, begining with the C3 processor on the S370 platform. It wasn't like Intel wanted to own the chipset market, they gave everybody BUT VIa a licence!

Back to you Tom...

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Wow, you really hate VIA don't you? :)
It will be interesting to see if VIA uses more anti-competitive tactics once their mother boards start getting out to stores. Will the increase the cost or reduce the supplies of the chipsets they sell to other motherboard manufacturers? Only time will tell.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

G

I'd love to see Tom do a review comparing the KT266A and the SiS735 boards. Although I've been leaning towards the KT266A, the price/performance of the SiS735 is undeniably attractive! I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the ECS board that I purchased and had stability issues with my GF2 MX400. I was doing some more searching on boards with the SiS735 chipset. Amptron has one, model K7-830LM, and on the first page of their description of the board they warn about video cards/chipsets that may have campatibility issues with their mobo. One of the cards listed was the GF2 MX400!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
HAHAHAHA...
yeah, check this out...today's news:
<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/Leadtek/WinFast7350KDA/7350kdapreviewp1.htm " target="_new">http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/Leadtek/WinFast7350KDA/7350kdapreviewp1.htm </A>
seems like a somewhat large company is starting to make the sis 735 into an overclockable board!
and in the performance test, it seems to do a bit better than the kt266a, which is crazy since the board only costs $110 (us), which i believe is still cheaper than the kt266a offerings.
i would really love it if msi would jump on the wagon and build a 735 mobo...
but i suppose that would only happen if via became the ultimate monopoly and stopped shipping out their chips so that they would be the only ones making their boards...
oh, and at via-tech, the via-tech boys are trying to shrug off a problem that has been affecting the kt-133 chipset users...
most of them seem quite upset that via will not owe up to the problem...and are blaming the motherboard manufacturers for not sticking to their refernce design, which leads me to not doubt the fact that they will be manufacturing their own boards because they are getting annoyed with people complaining about their "faulty" products...
well, we'll see what happens when they make their own boards, and how the public responds to this, and how well they perform, and how stable they are.

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hey look i took the time to learn how to use markup so that people can just click that link!
took me long enough!

-DAvid