Deleted Virus or Bad Spyware BUT...now I cannot

I deleted a Virus or I think Bad Spyware in BOTH folders labled in the same
name "System Volume Information" each folder is in my C and D Drive.
Now that the folders are Empty, I need to delete the actual empty folder.
I cannot do this because it is a "hidden" folder. My computer is running
fine after
deleting the few files in each folder. I already tried Tools, Folder
Options,View,
and "unclicked" Hide Protected System Files. When I do this, I can see
"System Volume Information" in both drives, however I cannot "delete" the
file. I also unclicked "read only" and it still will not delet, and my virus
program still flashes it all day long on my computer. I even deleted the
info out of the virus program.
Tried everything,,, please help, What is "System Volume Information" anyway?
Thank you.

The "System Volume Information" folder is a Windows XP
system folder that contains all the System Restore files. It
cannot be deleted.

How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Jackie from Chicago" <Jackie from Chicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:038C50CB-8345-4E8B-8D9E-2C274A8901A2@microsoft.com...
> I deleted a Virus or I think Bad Spyware in BOTH folders labled in the
same
> name "System Volume Information" each folder is in my C and D Drive.
> Now that the folders are Empty, I need to delete the actual empty folder.
> I cannot do this because it is a "hidden" folder. My computer is running
> fine after
> deleting the few files in each folder. I already tried Tools, Folder
> Options,View,
> and "unclicked" Hide Protected System Files. When I do this, I can see
> "System Volume Information" in both drives, however I cannot "delete" the
> file. I also unclicked "read only" and it still will not delet, and my
virus
> program still flashes it all day long on my computer. I even deleted the
> info out of the virus program.
> Tried everything,,, please help, What is "System Volume Information"
anyway?
> Thank you.

You usually can't delete this folder. If the system volume information
folder contents are infected, yes, it can be a good idea to purge it. You
do this by simply turning OFF system restore, and then turning it back ON
again.

Note that this will prevent you from using any of the currently existing
restore points, but if they are infected, that's not necessarily much of a
loss.

HTH
-pk

Hi

That folder holds - or did hold - all the System Restore files. Why did you
delete all the files? Did your AV program tell you that the virus was in
the System Volume Information folder?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jackie from Chicago" <Jackie from Chicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:038C50CB-8345-4E8B-8D9E-2C274A8901A2@microsoft.com...
>I deleted a Virus or I think Bad Spyware in BOTH folders labled in the same
> name "System Volume Information" each folder is in my C and D Drive.
> Now that the folders are Empty, I need to delete the actual empty folder.
> I cannot do this because it is a "hidden" folder. My computer is running
> fine after
> deleting the few files in each folder. I already tried Tools, Folder
> Options,View,
> and "unclicked" Hide Protected System Files. When I do this, I can see
> "System Volume Information" in both drives, however I cannot "delete" the
> file. I also unclicked "read only" and it still will not delet, and my
> virus
> program still flashes it all day long on my computer. I even deleted the
> info out of the virus program.
> Tried everything,,, please help, What is "System Volume Information"
> anyway?
> Thank you.

Thank you both for replying. YES, My Virus program Trend Micro-PC-cillin
2005, said that I had a "Virus" and showed me the Exact Location of the file
D:/System Volume Information. The Virus name was "ADW_SCBAR.A", I could not
find any information on the name. PC-cillin "Halted my Internet Access"
immediatly through Comcast. It did not Quarentine, but "Denied Access". I
was left with no choice but to Delete contents of both the files. Someone
was trying to access my stored information. My PCCillin was going nuts for
lack of better explination. So I know I just hindered my "restore system"
possibilites for good. I have re-scanned my system and all is fine now. I
get daily updates to my PC-Cillian software automatically from Trend Micro.
If I have not hindered my "System Restore" by deleting any files, and can
repair it, it would be nice to know. I know I stopped something bad from
happening.
Thanks all, so much again. Jackie