clock generating chip. where is it?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
have a kk266r-plus.
and i want to know where the clock cycle generating chip is located, and what it looks like.
any ideas?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
thats a destinct possibility...
though ive done some testing on my new mobo and sad to say it looks as if my ibm 60GXP is the limiting factor. it doesnt like a FSB above 154 :( (pci = 38.5)
how hard would it be fore via to include a 1/5 divider as well in their chipsets ?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. heres a pic.
checked it out and its precisely the board i have
<A HREF="http://www.legionhardware.com/Reviews/IWILL/IWILL_KK266plus-R_1.php" target="_new">http://www.legionhardware.com/Reviews/IWILL/IWILL_KK266plus-R_1.php</A>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
not sure, but i think that if you have the board installed, then the clock generator is the chip which might be about an inch in length, to the right of the socket.
above those four capacitors, and inbetween the two sets of them...
like this...

=
o o
o o

sorry, but that is the best i can draw in here..
not sure, but pretty sure that is the clock gen..
they are usually pretty close to the socket, and rectangular...not too small..
anyone else concur?
and that sucks about the hard drive being the limiting factor...what a bummer...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep... 154Mhz on two different boards :(
i even tried disconnecting my old 16GP, had no effect.

ahh well.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
woo hooo.

thanx guys... there it is...
rectangular chip say 1cm x 2cm midway between the CPU socket, ram slots & nothbridge chip.

and yes, there are 4 capacitors below it.
its just directly below the top most fan header.

now lets see how warm its running

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, i tried to post this a little while ago, but thwg stopped loading...and i couldnt get it to post..so let me try to put what i had before...

i read somewhere that a guy put a heatsink that he picked up from radioshack, one of those small black ones that you can use to cool off a resistor or something of the sort.
he put it on his clock gen to cool it so that his computer would be stable at higher clock speeds...he figured that that was the limiting factor in his overclocking adventure...and it ended up being that..
so what i am thinking is that if i was to put one of those ramsinks on the clock generator at stock speeds, then would the system become more stable than it already is?
hmm...
and it is cheap...those sinks are dirt cheap at radio shack or some other similar electronics store..
and easy to put on...
one of the cheapest, effective, safest motherboard mods i can think of...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
it may be useful for others...

but as i cant exceed 154 cauz of my ide devices it a bit moot. nice to know though.

wonder if theres any way to make the hard drives behave better