Sign in with
Your question

computer is rebooting on its on

Last response: in Windows XP
June 11, 2005 4:59:45 PM

Ok, this just started happening this week.

My computer is rebooting itself during the early morning hours, somewhere between 1:00 am and 6:00 am. I've checked all the settings, energy saver is not turned on, etc. The other day my background was changed and my screen saver was turned on (not by me or my wife). Ive run S&D, Adaware, and microsoft antispyware, Kaspersky antivirus and I have Zone Alarm Pro turned on as my firewall.

These two events are repeated in the event viewer at the same time:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206."

"The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp."

Any thoughts on what this could be?

More about : computer rebooting

June 13, 2005 1:51:10 PM

I'm wondering if your PC is over heating and rebooting? But if it's in the early hours I'd start to wonder if someone got on your PC at night and is doing stuff. It's a long shot though.

Change your PC's user passwords.

On a safer side..

What's your computer doing between that time frame? Windows Updates?

Antivirus Updates? Etc.

Clear out your Event Viewer at night and see what events pop up in the morning. That way you won't have a long thing to trudge through.

I would check Windows Update though and make sure everything is updated.
June 13, 2005 4:47:15 PM

I do not believe the computer is rebooting itself due to overheating. If that were the case it would do it while I worked on some of my projects.

I have both a software and hardware firewall and I have telnet and remote connection disabled, so I hope no one can connect to my Pc.

The only things that run late at night are Microsoft Antispyware, and Kaprasky antivirus scanner and updater.
Related resources
June 15, 2005 2:31:33 AM

wuauclt (3076) The database engine stopped.

That is the last thing that showed up in the Event Viewer. Anyone know what it means?
June 15, 2005 1:04:52 PM

That's the file for autoupdating Microsoft..

Well, that's consistent what you said was running at night.

Try switching your Windows Time to a few minutes before the shutdowns have been occuring at night and then you might be able to see what's going on.

You might want to check into manually checking Microsoft for current updates.

Maybe it's downloading updates that require a reboot..heh :) 
!