Sign in with
Your question

BF3 first thoughts thread

Last response: in Video Games
October 26, 2011 4:33:55 AM

It appears no one made one yet... Shame! shame I say! :non: 
This is what happens when I leave for a while!

Well here you go!

Sadly I can't contribute, curse the Europe launch being behind the US. D,=

edit: oh, and post your system specs and settings you are running.

More about : bf3 thoughts thread

October 26, 2011 2:08:09 PM

Atotalnoob said:
It appears no one made one yet... Shame! shame I say! :non: 
This is what happens when I leave for a while!

Well here you go!

Sadly I can't contribute, curse the Europe launch being behind the US. D,=

edit: oh, and post your system specs and settings you are running.

My specs are in my sig,
Game looks great and handles great on ulta at 1080 with SLi'd 580's. However multiplayer is bug ridden at the moment, servers crash often, you get booted for no reason odten and sometimes if you kill someone while they kill you when you respawn your camera just watches them. Also you need to hit rank 3-4 to have decent enough weapons to do anything. I hated the game the 1st two hours I played and would swear at my comp. Then once you unlock enough stuff and or find a good server the game is fun and very addictive. I cant wait to be off next week when the wife is out of town because I will log HOURS/DAYS into the game.
October 26, 2011 2:52:00 PM

Specs: 2500k stock, gtx 470, 8gb ram 1600, yadda yadda.

So far I havn't had many bugs or issues come up for me yet. I played for about 3 hours last night and the only thing that gave me any hassel was battlog. Had a few issues trying to join a friends server. I am having a much more pleasent experiance over the beta. Running anywhere between 45-50 fps at 1080 on auto which selected ultra textures and high everything else. (Will mess with this later)
Starting weapons are kind of weak until you get attachments or better guns. The maps are awesome. Played every map at least once and every one of them left a good immpression on me. The game doesn't feel overly frustrating either. (unless you die to someone at 1% health) Much was improved over the beta it feels. The squad system, which was my major gripe, is on par with what I had expected it to be.
The only weird thing I came across was that pulling your parachute right before hitting water will hurt you...
Related resources
October 26, 2011 3:05:38 PM

Same as Envymert. I played very little of the campaign (the first subway level...) and then went straight to MP. I have an issue with MP at the moment so I have to figure that out first...but for the odd time that my rig could run the game without slutterring, I really liked it.

For BF2 fans, you'll find BF3 has changed dramatically (but mostly in a good way). For BFBC2 fans, you'll finally get to experience the full BF experience.

Finally, it's early to give an honest opinion of the game as you'll need to log days of getting familliar with the game to really give it a true Tumbs up or down IMO.

So far though, I'd say DICE took the franchise forward (and not backward like they did with the Bad Companie series). Props!
October 26, 2011 5:36:54 PM

Give it a few weeks and hopefully we will start seeing some patches being released.

I haven't played it yet as it aint out till Friday in the UK.
October 26, 2011 6:05:32 PM

Conquest is the Mod to go for BF3.

Not Rush.
October 26, 2011 6:12:13 PM

Is there any way of playing before Friday in uk if my pre-order arrives tomorrow?
Should I be able to play maxed out with 2 overclocked GTX480 do you think?
I can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy.
October 26, 2011 6:13:08 PM

Sorry should have said at 2560x1440 . I'm sure it would max at 1080.
October 26, 2011 6:17:23 PM

Also a few things to take not of, as stated I was a HUGE rush fan in BFBC2, however in BF3 I do find conquest much better than RUSH. Generally the maps are WAY to large for RUSH. Caspian border rush makes you take one of the 3 -5 vehicles or a nice 400 meter run to get to the action. This is annoying because most of the map is flat with rock crops so running for 1 min just to be sniped in the face is rather annoying. Other than that its awesome, some of the maps did lag with 64 people in them but by midnight it had settled. I will play for awhile before i make any further assumptions or reviews.
October 26, 2011 6:17:56 PM

Are Back to Karkand levels available to play straight away? Man, I am so excited about this game it's embarrassing.
October 26, 2011 6:21:49 PM

If you are in the UK still waiting on release date, goto flyvpn and use their free trial software. Hook into a Korean VPN then run battlefield, it will decrypt the .exe and you can play! Been playing the past couple of days its ace! Don't be put off by the Beta, this is a LOT LOT better!

P.S - you should all check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY
That is how BF3 should be played ^^
October 26, 2011 7:44:13 PM

Back to Karkand isn't in yet. Believe they are releasing it later. Probably when MW3 comes out.
October 26, 2011 7:44:35 PM

i came here to start a thread just like this. anyway this game well surpassed my expectations. never played bf2 just bc1+2 so i came in expecting something like those games. with my 2500k and sli570s and settings at ultra i get around 100fps if im just running across the map and 60 if theres like intense action with like a tank blowing up a building and ten players shooting it out right by so very acceptable. but ya this game is fun
@fergie yes karkand can be played right away but i havent been able to check it out yet because nobodys in the server ever
October 26, 2011 8:50:09 PM

One of the disadvantages of using Battlelog, is password protected games can be easily entered. Passwords aren't a viable way to have private matches now.

I first figured this out in the beta, and a friend verified it still works.

Quote:
launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }

October 26, 2011 9:31:56 PM

I haven't actually been able to play the game yet! It freezes and crashes every single time...
October 27, 2011 4:49:45 AM

I really like the Multiplayer. Wish it was a smoother / quicker, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Lots of different playing style options.

Not really happy with the SP campaign, but as in squad-based military FPS games in general, I didn't figure it would be worth much. MP is where this game shines.

With all the hype, I was expected this game to look MUCH better than it does. Here's a few screenshots I took in SP campaign....and this is set to Ultra / DX11. The lighting is nice, and in-game animation looks good, but a lot of the modelling and texture work looks almost atrocious.

October 27, 2011 5:44:11 AM

Stringjam said:
I really like the Multiplayer. Wish it was a smoother / quicker, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Lots of different playing style options.

Not really happy with the SP campaign, but as in squad-based military FPS games in general, I didn't figure it would be worth much. MP is where this game shines.

With all the hype, I was expected this game to look MUCH better than it does. Here's a few screenshots I took in SP campaign....and this is set to Ultra / DX11. The lighting is nice, and in-game animation looks good, but a lot of the modelling and texture work looks almost atrocious.

http://earthmachine.home.mchsi.com/bf3ground.jpg

http://earthmachine.home.mchsi.com/bf3ground2.jpg

http://earthmachine.home.mchsi.com/bf3ground3.jpg

it still looks better than dx11 ultra crysis 2. has anyone looked at anything up close? horrible pixelated ***. other than that bf3 is still way ahead of it
October 27, 2011 5:45:40 AM

that didnt make any since. sorry, im drunk
October 27, 2011 5:57:05 AM

Playing at 1080p w/ hd 6850 +p2 955, mid-high settings averaging at 40-50fps.

I have been playing mostly mp.

Some of my impressions:

-The game is very optimized. I have better fps than bfbc2 while also having better graphics (at least in my eyes). The new lighting effects really made the game look pretty.

-Maps are harder to learn because they are more intricate than bfbc2. There are more variety in building designs. But all in all the maps are great!

-Vehicles are kinda overpowered because they regenerate health. A smart driver/pilot could use it forever even if they aren't engineers.

-Weapon handling is awesome as always.

-Sniper rifle bullet drop seems to be lacking, as well as the long bullet travel time. Please correct this if I'm wrong, as I haven't spent too much time as recon.

-This game would probably keep me busy for hundreds of hours! :D 
October 27, 2011 7:27:10 AM

This game is amazing , the first 5 mintues i got dropped into my first game i just walked around looking at things ... i still haven't seen every map yet , breathtaking .... this engine is amazing ....

Right now i'm waiting for battlelog to come back online ...

i'll never forget some of the game play from my first night (yesterday ) .... so i had run over to a building across from the enemies spawn point and was taking pot shots at them , then another memeber from my own team joined me ... i was on the roof of this 1 story building he was on the ground floor ... all of sudden i saw this tank coming down the road , it was then when i realised that it wasn't one of OUR tanks .... without thinking i jumped off of the roof to the rear of the building ... it was at that time when the tank fired blowing a huge hole in the ground flood taking my fellow brother in arms along with the back wall of the building out ... all i could think was there but for the grace go i ....
October 27, 2011 8:11:25 AM

Stringjam said:

http://earthmachine.home.mchsi.com/bf3ground.jpg

http://earthmachine.home.mchsi.com/bf3ground2.jpg

http://earthmachine.home.mchsi.com/bf3ground3.jpg

The game can use 4 cpu cores....................................
Aint it suppose to be less cpu and more gpu usage?
Agree they did mess their maths up but they sold a couple of thousand cpus for intel I must say
October 27, 2011 8:25:25 AM

Had a go of the campaign. Went through the subway level to the next and turned it off and haven't played on it since. Not saying I don't like the game, I lost interest really quick. I'm not into multiplayer games, besides WOW, but that's a different story.

I could play it on medium settings with a little lag using my HD6850 with no AA.
October 27, 2011 9:42:23 AM

not exactly my FIRST impression, but the most lasting impression so far is that Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing are 2 of the best fps multiplayer maps in any game that I have ever played.
October 27, 2011 6:42:18 PM

So far the game has been an enjoyable experience. It's been good to get back on the battlefield as I was never a fan of MW series other than the SP campaigns. Ive seen a few reviews about how BF# single player campaign is lacking. As a longtime fan of the BF series, who would buy this game and expect a stellar SP campaign? That is not what the BF series is about. It's all about the multiplayer experience.

Some of the gripes I do have is the lack of VOIP when joining a squad, no commander, and noobies not throwing out medic kits/ammo/reviving when it is needed. Manly the VOIP is the part that is sorely lacking for me. I am a big time team player when it comes to orchestrating with teammates and I find that difficult to do when I cannot communicate with anyone.
October 27, 2011 7:03:50 PM

there's no VOIP in an FPS MP? wow...
October 27, 2011 7:28:07 PM

I think there is a way if you have friends that you can squad up with before joining the game or something like that, but most of my friends play with consoles. I am also not a fan of battle log. IMO, they should have modeled BF3 more like BF2 and BF 2142.
October 27, 2011 7:59:01 PM

Throwing out a bone here, but maybe some experts at Tom's will be able to help me out regarding this game. I find Battlelog to be ok, I'm able to join servers, for the most part it's fine, but actually getting into MP is the problem. I can run around for about a minute before the game freezes. No audio loops and I'm not forced to resart. I can alt/tab out or ctrl/alt/del and close the program out so it's not a hard reboot or anything. Game just freezes. I rolled back drivers, reinstalled origin & bf3, and even disabled mostly everything in the nvidia CP. I was able to run window mode fine for about 1 hour total, but even that last night resulted in the same freezing. Even campaign would freeze up on me. I once got an error that said the I ran out of memory in my gpu and that I needed a gpu with 512+mb memory, but I'm running a 570 gtx sc. I'm thinking my main problem is 32bit and only 4gb of RAM, but in the EA forums, I'm seeing a ton of people having trouble with the game, 32 bit & 64 bit with 4gb RAM and up. I'm pretty close to doing a fresh install, and I don't have access to 64 bit right now. What do you guys think could be the issue? Specs are the same except I switched gpu.

Sorry thought I enabled my sig. Specs:

I5 750 stock
asus p7p55d pro
4gb ripjaws 1600
evga 570 gtx sc
w7 32bit
antec gamer 750w psu
1920x1080 res.
October 27, 2011 9:26:30 PM

I played the beta,was way over hyped,but none the less an awesome fps.The things I disagree with are minor,and might be fixed in upcoming patches,but some I doubt.

First off,enemy recognition,this brings a new style in fps's,I can run right up to someone and at the last second,boom,dead!I was like,that was a bad guy?This is more realistic,mind you,it wouldnt be all bad if ff was off lol..

Now,teamkills,tk's have always sucked,but,in bf3,the person who tk's someone does not get punished,granted,some tk's are because of bugs,we had those issues back in bf2 and they finally fixed most of em.

The other issue that bothers me is the sound,and being shot at.The ambient sounds and weapon sounds are by far the best ever implemented into a fps,or any game for the matter,vehicle,aircraft sounds are very high quality.

In addition,when you are getting shot at,you dont know untill you are dead,at least this is what has been happening to me,I dont hear the shots untill I am dead,I have never been shot at in real life,so I dont know if this is realistic or not.

In closing,there are minor annoyances,but for the most part,ea and dice delivered a awesome fps,which in time will hopefully improve.

October 27, 2011 9:41:32 PM

thestrangebrew said:
Throwing out a bone here, but maybe some experts at Tom's will be able to help me out regarding this game. I find Battlelog to be ok, I'm able to join servers, for the most part it's fine, but actually getting into MP is the problem. I can run around for about a minute before the game freezes. No audio loops and I'm not forced to resart. I can alt/tab out or ctrl/alt/del and close the program out so it's not a hard reboot or anything. Game just freezes. I rolled back drivers, reinstalled origin & bf3, and even disabled mostly everything in the nvidia CP. I was able to run window mode fine for about 1 hour total, but even that last night resulted in the same freezing. Even campaign would freeze up on me. I once got an error that said the I ran out of memory in my gpu and that I needed a gpu with 512+mb memory, but I'm running a 570 gtx sc. I'm thinking my main problem is 32bit and only 4gb of RAM, but in the EA forums, I'm seeing a ton of people having trouble with the game, 32 bit & 64 bit with 4gb RAM and up. I'm pretty close to doing a fresh install, and I don't have access to 64 bit right now. What do you guys think could be the issue? Specs are the same except I switched gpu.

Sorry thought I enabled my sig. Specs:

I5 750 stock
asus p7p55d pro
4gb ripjaws 1600
evga 570 gtx sc
w7 32bit
antec gamer 750w psu
1920x1080 res.

you said you rolled the drivers back, what did you have preivously? I think you should stick with latest (came out last night I hear) because dice and both nvidia and amd are working as we type on fixing all the issues people are having. I've heard that SP would just crash on people for no reason, exactly as you describe, just black screen, nothing going on, you can tab out and end process.

I think all that will get fixed in upcoming patches and driver updates.
October 27, 2011 9:47:10 PM

I had no crashes while in sp,I guess im one of the lucky ones.I would think that 4 gigs of ram would be enough to run it decently.

I am running a 580 and have yet to come across any type of crash,however,there are still other issues,minor graphical bugs,corruption.I am using the drivers that were released the same day bf3 was released..
October 27, 2011 9:59:18 PM

AntiZig said:
you said you rolled the drivers back, what did you have preivously? I think you should stick with latest (came out last night I hear) because dice and both nvidia and amd are working as we type on fixing all the issues people are having. I've heard that SP would just crash on people for no reason, exactly as you describe, just black screen, nothing going on, you can tab out and end process.

I think all that will get fixed in upcoming patches and driver updates.

I tried the latest drivers that were released on the 24th initially. That made me crash, so I fig'd I'd roll back to the drivers available for the beta, which worked flawlessly on my rig in FS. Crashed there as well. I believe with the beta drivers was when I got the error saying I needed a gpu with 512mb+ RAM. I'll prob do a fresh install after I try a few more things and see where that gets me.
October 27, 2011 11:13:43 PM

AntiZig said:
there's no VOIP in an FPS MP? wow...

There is VOIP through Battlelog with people in you've invited to your party. The exclusion of general VOIP is kind of a blessing. Saves the trouble of having to highlight and mute people.
October 28, 2011 1:00:20 PM

so basiclaly the VOIP is available you just have to choose who to talk to? (kinda like everyone is on mute by default and then you can unmute the ones you want?)
October 28, 2011 10:08:53 PM

AntiZig said:
so basiclaly the VOIP is available you just have to choose who to talk to? (kinda like everyone is on mute by default and then you can unmute the ones you want?)

Thankfully yeah, similar to this concept. Reading the chatlog of frustrated players is bad enough without having to hear them shriek as well in my opinion.
October 29, 2011 6:15:26 AM

Well, I've played maybe half through the SP campaign, didn't try MP and never will, not interested. So strictly from that point of view, the campaign is interesting enough, but like it or not, it does mimic the campaigns from CoD MW series. But that's not a bad thing, still its own campaing is set in different environments, action is right out of a good war movie, real-feel shootouts, everything's looking well packed together.

Game's running at around 40-50 FPS at 1680x1050 resolution, all details at High, AA Deferred OFF, Anisotropic Filter 2x, Motion blur OFF, Ambient occlusion HBAO. Tried it on 1920x1080, high details, but game's frames do take a nose dive below 30 at times, so I lowered the resolution a little bit as my video card isn't that powerful.

All in all, a pleasurable experience, but still, this game will not be something that will linger in my memory and heart, as someone said at one point in this forum; it's an extraordinary feat, I admit, but still, it's not one of those games.
October 29, 2011 4:03:48 PM

Wow I am really raging now at how bad BF3 sucks.

As a BFBC2 veteran BF3 just feels so clunky. I can't move my solder more than 3 feet without running into something. When you run into something its hard to tell how to move alongside it so that your ass isn't completely in the open. I move so slowly I can't get out of the way of other people shooting me. I have to hit space 3 times to jump over anything. It's so restrictive. In BC2 I was running and jumping all over the place. It was great.

And then the visuals. Yay it looks pretty good. LOTS OF CLUTTER. I CAN'T IDENTIFY ENEMY SOLDIERS. The shadow effect is way overdone. I even turned brightness to 100% and its still hard to see anything. They shoot me, I die. End of story.

The beginning guns suck hard. I'm pretty sure I have to 5-shot people when they can 1 or 2 shot me.

AMD's preview driver causes screen tearing in anything that isn't 3D. That means game menus, game movie cuts, DESKTOP. Its really annoying. I'm uninstalling it right now.

As far as performance, I'm on a Q6600 @3.2 and an HD 5850. Playing on High settings yields 45-55 fps. Yet it still feels like I'm stuttering sometimes.

I'm going back to BC2.
October 29, 2011 6:00:53 PM

Katsushiro said:
Wow I am really raging now at how bad BF3 sucks.

As a BFBC2 veteran BF3 just feels so clunky. I can't move my solder more than 3 feet without running into something. When you run into something its hard to tell how to move alongside it so that your ass isn't completely in the open. I move so slowly I can't get out of the way of other people shooting me. I have to hit space 3 times to jump over anything. It's so restrictive. In BC2 I was running and jumping all over the place. It was great.

And then the visuals. Yay it looks pretty good. LOTS OF CLUTTER. I CAN'T IDENTIFY ENEMY SOLDIERS. The shadow effect is way overdone. I even turned brightness to 100% and its still hard to see anything. They shoot me, I die. End of story.

The beginning guns suck hard. I'm pretty sure I have to 5-shot people when they can 1 or 2 shot me.

AMD's preview driver causes screen tearing in anything that isn't 3D. That means game menus, game movie cuts, DESKTOP. Its really annoying. I'm uninstalling it right now.

As far as performance, I'm on a Q6600 @3.2 and an HD 5850. Playing on High settings yields 45-55 fps. Yet it still feels like I'm stuttering sometimes.

I'm going back to BC2.

Did you try an older ATI driver? I am still playing that game with the 11.6 driver and there's so very little screen tearing, even with v-sync disabled.

I have to admit that the lighting effects look a bit overdone, I mean every car headlight is just a huge pain, you cannot see anything around, and it's so with every source of artificial light.
October 31, 2011 5:25:48 AM

My thoughts on single player:

I have to admit, I am with Stringjam as far as visuals are concerned. There are some areas that simply look amazing, then some areas that are clearly minimal effort. Environmental damage itself takes a back seat compared to Bad Company 2, as does the story slightly. The ending, while trying to be very dramatic, was very unsatisfying, and this game felt very much like it was trying to copy the COD series all the way through.

I'm all but sick of the generic quick time event last boss battles now. You look at something like Space Marine, and it was done right, with a nice balance of interaction, not just a few key presses, but this game, hell no. Just a generic, quick and easy sequence that I'd rather have just watched then had to press a few keys to view. Not a terrible experience, but, and I did not actually think I'd be saying this, I think MW3 is going to be better game on the single player mode this time around. Coming from me, that is pretty hard words to admit, because I was not real happy with MW2's story/single player experience compared to the other COD games or Bad Company 2 at all.
October 31, 2011 10:30:23 AM

professorprofessorson said:

I'm all but sick of the generic quick time event last boss battles now. You look at something like Space Marine, and it was done right, with a nice balance of interaction, not just a few key presses, but this game, hell no. Just a generic, quick and easy sequence that I'd rather have just watched then had to press a few keys to view. Not a terrible experience, but, and I did not actually think I'd be saying this, I think MW3 is going to be better game on the single player mode this time around. Coming from me, that is pretty hard words to admit, because I was not real happy with MW2's story/single player experience compared to the other COD games or Bad Company 2 at all.

I agree. There's so much of this "enter animation sequence and hit button at prompt" stuff. There's not really any strategy or thought to any of the process. I find the single player campaign pretty much uninteresting. I don't mind a linear, story driven game if there is a compelling story and characters to drive it.....this game has neither.

The MP is great though...there's a lot of areas it could use some more polish (as mentioned earlier....it seems hard to "get around" a lot of stuff), but I love the maps and the scale. Having a lot of fun with it.

I guess I'll just wait until Metro Last Light before I can expect a good single-player FPS experience again. ;) 
October 31, 2011 12:37:09 PM

Unfortunately, this game is good, but not THAT good, my absolutely personal opinion is that the game isn't standing up to the hype of pre-launch. Strictly speaking from a single player campaign point of view. But reading the multiplayer part comments, it could have done better in that department as well, perhaps future patches/fixes will take care of that.

October 31, 2011 3:02:47 PM

I played the Beta, and I wasn't impressed (relative to the hype).

But the final version is great! This is my first BF game and its kickass! I spent literally 2 minutes looking up at the sky in Caspian Border watching fighter jets and helicopters take each other out.
!