GFX RAM: DX9 video card with 1 GB
GFX: GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher
Audio: DX compatible sound card

As you know I have PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 (2.80 GHz)
RAM: 4 GB DDR 2
HDD: 500 GB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PowerColor 1 GB, 256 bit

By official recommended requirements my PC is good, the only thing that worries me is my GPU (HD 4850). Skyrim recommended GPU is 4890. I want to know the following:
1) How much better 4890 than my HD 4850?
2) I play on 1280x1024 resolution, so can I get HIGH settings? (I will download last drivers)
3) Will the graphics on my PC be better than XBOX 360?
Thats all... :hello: 
October 26, 2011 8:42:08 AM

At 1280x1024 you should be okay for high settings with the 4850. For that resolution the 4850 is still a pretty good card, only thing it's lacking is DX11 support, and that's a non issue for Skyrim. I think the 4890 is about 15% faster than your 4850, a tiny bit faster than the current Radeon HD 6770. You should be able to do at least 30 FPS at 1280x1024 on high with your card, though I can't say for sure until the game is actually out and benchmarked.

You will definitely have better graphics than the XBox 360. Probably the standard enhancements, somewhat sharper textures, a longer view distance, the ability to go above 720p resolution (though not on your display), and framerates higher than 30 FPS.
October 26, 2011 12:28:20 PM

I have a Nvidia 9800GT 1GB DDR3 VRAM
2GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93 GHz
Windows XP SP3 32-bit
I play at 1360x768 resolution.
How will it work on my PC on highest graphics?
Related resources
October 26, 2011 1:47:16 PM

your gpu doesn't meet the recommended graphics but then I have to assume they benched it out of 1920x1080 so you might be ok, or you might have to downgrade to medium settings.
October 26, 2011 2:03:41 PM

Since recomended is DX9, i guess pc and consoles will look similar.
October 26, 2011 3:48:05 PM

The recommended specs are somewhat lower than I had been expecting them to be, but that is a good thing. What I am worried about is the console-ish feel the game might have, hope I will be proven wrong.

For a more in-depth information, here's ATI 4850 HD and ATI 4890 HD reviews.

You should be clear of danger zone in this game, even if you're placed in the minimum requirements area; it seems this game will not be a "system killer." Just hope it's not another bad console port.
October 26, 2011 4:59:19 PM

People should realize that most of these recommended and minimum settings are placed under the assumption that you have a PRISTINE graphics card/processor/ram and extra cooling for it.

I doubt even my single gtx 460 (another in the mail), i7 960 and 6gigs of ram will even be FULLY playable at high settings.

I never ever look at the recommended settings to determine how well i will run the game because 10/10 times they are wrong since everyones computer is different.

If you dont have a graphics card in the top 15% of the market
If you dont have a processor in the top 15% of the market
If you don't have ram in the top 15% of the market
If you dont have a solid state drive or a newer hard drive

then dont expect to play it enjoyable at high settings. You may get 15-25 fps but i would lean towards the lower end of that estimate.

Games these days take a lot of computing power.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
October 26, 2011 5:14:51 PM

Anyone notice only 6 GB? Fallout new vegas was 10 GB.

Unless they did some serious compression.... the 6 GB is rather dissapointing in game size.
October 26, 2011 6:38:59 PM

or their new engine is sooper good at generating stuff with only few lines of code, who knows...

the fact that it's only a dx9 game is sure disappointing, but we'll see...
October 27, 2011 1:42:19 AM

never any need for all that info.
just the PC name/model number would do just fine
Im assuming this is a laptop with integrated graphics? if so, then it most likely will not perform well
October 27, 2011 2:34:00 AM

Why do you say it will most likely not perform well as a laptop with integrated graphics?
October 27, 2011 2:38:28 AM

Also, if this computer is undesirable for to play medium-to-high settings for skyrim, what would be a good Dell laptop within the price range of $900-1100? if any please? : )
October 27, 2011 2:39:37 AM

Integrated graphics never do well when gaming, they are designed more for basic web browsing, office applications, and playing videos. Integrated graphics usually only perform okay with older games that need little GPU horsepower. The only integrated graphics that performs decently on current titles are the ones on AMD's Llano APUs. Even then, they're not strong enough to max out games at high resolutions.

You have one of the newer intel integrated graphics solutions, so you might have a shot at running the game with your laptop, but it won't perform that great. You will probably have to play at low settings to get an acceptable framerate.

Edit: If you are looking for a gaming computer, you will find much better value on the desktop. Gaming capable laptops are quite pricy, and most of them can't be upgraded, so they are rendered obsolete quite quickly. If you must get a laptop, the cheapest effective solution would be one with a Llano A8 APU. However, that still may not deliver high settings if your native screen resolution is too high. Aside from that, look for a laptop that comes with AMD or nvidia graphics. For good performance probably something like a Mobility Radeon HD 5770 or GT555m at a minimum. Higher is of course better, but that would probably go above the $1100 mark.
October 27, 2011 2:50:59 AM

Supernova1138 said:
Integrated graphics never do well when gaming, they are designed more for basic web browsing, office applications, and playing videos. Integrated graphics usually only perform okay with older games that need little GPU horsepower. The only integrated graphics that performs decently on current titles are the ones on AMD's Llano APUs. Even then, they're not strong enough to max out games at high resolutions.

You have one of the newer intel integrated graphics solutions, so you might have a shot at running the game with your laptop, but it won't perform that great. You will probably have to play at low settings to get an acceptable framerate.

Edit: If you are looking for a gaming computer, you will find much better value on the desktop. Gaming capable laptops are quite pricy, and most of them can't be upgraded, so they are rendered obsolete quite quickly. If you must get a laptop, the cheapest effective solution would be one with a Llano A8 APU. However, that still may not deliver high settings if your native screen resolution is too high. Aside from that, look for a laptop that comes with AMD or nvidia graphics. For good performance probably something like a Mobility Radeon HD 5770 or GT555m at a minimum. Higher is of course better, but that would probably go above the $1100 mark.

+1; laptops are nto for gaming unless you want to spend some money
October 27, 2011 3:36:22 AM

Thank you guys very much for your help!! So I am basically confined to a laptop, and have therefore been recommended to buy an Alienware laptop.

Here's a link to some of the laptops:

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

Which one would you guys recommend to play Skyrim in medium-to-high settings please? I'm sorry I have no idea who to ask these things to! : )
October 27, 2011 3:54:00 AM

Yeah, I'd have to agree, it's a decent price for what it is, and you can't get anything much better without getting into the $1500+ price bracket.
October 27, 2011 6:16:54 AM

my first build cost me 1300 i put a 6970, 2500k, 8gb ram, asrock ex.4 mobo, 1tb hd in it. id go that way if you think about spending 1100 on a laptop. mainly because i switched out gpu's and only lost 50 bucks on ebay from new price. desktops are easily upgradable and laptops tat are upgradeable the parts are more expensive
October 27, 2011 8:49:12 AM

Seems to Skyrim has a very good optimization. I feared at first that the requirements to be a big. And what it means to 30fps??? Supernova1138 tells me that I can play on HIGH on 30fps. Is that good?
October 27, 2011 8:56:21 AM

30 FPS is playable. It won't feel quite as smooth as 60 FPS, but it won't be noticeably laggy or choppy. Think of it as the difference between watching events as if it were in a movie, and actually being there. 30 FPS is like watching a film, as it is a similar framerate. You may be able to do slightly better than 30 FPS, it is hard to say until the game actually comes out.
October 27, 2011 9:45:43 AM

http://n4g.com/news/873610/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-t...

On this link you can chek your graphic card and see how will Skyrim work for you. For me MEDIUM :(  but they said this:

The system requirements for The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim have been announced. Based on the information from Bethesda, you can get an idea of ​​how well your PC must be to play to Skyrim on high settings. Pete Hines confirmed, however, that the recommended hardware is not sufficient for all Ultra settings. We will now present a detailed assessment, however, with what graphics card you can pick out the best optics from the RPG.
The lower values ​​are estimates. We can not guarantee that the list is true for dogs per cent. However, one can orient themselves based on the recommended system requirements quite well. Since there are several resolutions that impact on performance, we have set in the list below to 1920x1080 pixels. With a lower resolution, the game should run even more smoothly. The list comes from user "Tig Old Bitties" from the Bethesda forum . More on The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim learn it on our topic page under this message, you can now find the list.

What you have to say? Is this means that they are played on 1920x1080 res?
October 27, 2011 10:10:05 AM

The cards listed in that article will get you ultra at 1920x1080, that's what they tested. However, 1280x1024 is a much lower resolution, and the GPU requirements for ultra will be lower. I think you'll be able to get away with running high settings at your resolution with your current card. You may have to turn down the anti aliasing to get an acceptable framerate though. I would say wait until the game comes out, and if performance does not meet your expectations, look at a GPU upgrade then. Once the game is out there will be more benchmarks available at a variety of resolutions.
October 27, 2011 9:10:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3ovbzRW34

Here is the link of new Skyrim gameplay (xbox 360) and you can see a towns, a guard crash head of NPC :)  a talk, and much more... If my PC show me graphic like Xbox, I be very happy. Skyrim comes out for two weeks. Than we can enjoy in quests,graphics,gameplay,300 hours ago. Bethesda is do great job. Lets hope that everything is be all right :) 
October 28, 2011 3:24:59 AM

Quote:
Oh wow.. Recommended is only DX9? That's.. a bit disheartening. :S

Witcher 2 was in dx9 and looked phenomenal
October 28, 2011 4:00:22 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
Witcher 2 was in dx9 and looked phenomenal

was it really? it looks light years ahead of anything if seen on console
October 28, 2011 4:30:10 AM

That was because despite only being DX9, Witcher 2 was designed for PC first, and then got a cut down version made for the XBox 360. Most games do it the other way around, design the game to work on the XBox 360 and simply port it to the other platforms with maybe a few visual enhancements for the PC version.
October 28, 2011 4:31:37 AM

tjosborne said:
was it really? it looks light years ahead of anything if seen on console

Dx9 is no slouch, and it was designed for PC so the accelerated hardware is one of the reasons it looks so fantastic as the game engine is for the PC hardware which is around 10x of a current console. Dx9 isn't what keeps development back, its consoles and their ancient hardware
October 28, 2011 6:07:23 AM

Laeweyen's first post (which is way too long) is deleted.

It won't disrupt the flow of discussion for you guys and girls now.

However, it is not deleted on my moderation interface (It is only greyed out). :( 

Laeweyen, next time, you only have to list important stuff.

Minimum is the cpu and gpu if you want to know if your computer can play a game or not. Then maybe mobo/chipset, HDD, ram and PSU if you want advice on upgrade and diagnoses of hardware/software fault.
October 29, 2011 7:53:39 AM

I was set up link that you can see how your GPU can run Skyrim. If HD4850 can run MEDIUM on 1920x1080 with 60 fps... What is the difference in fps of 1920x1080 and 1280x1024. I want to say, how many more fps I can get?
October 29, 2011 9:00:07 AM

If you can get 60 FPS on medium at 1080p you'll get a higher framerate at medium settings at 1280x1024 assuming you don't hit a CPU bottleneck. Any frames above 60 are wasted though unless you have a 120Hz display. If you can do 60 FPS on medium with a 4850 you should be able to do high at 1280x1024 and get somewhere between 30 and 60 FPS. Really, I'd say just wait until the game comes out and see how it performs on your current card. It is hard to say if you really need to upgrade when the game isn't even out yet.
!