Auto-Hide taskbar wont stay hidden

November 4, 2004 7:52:57 PM

Hello All,

I cannot get the autohide for the taskbar to continue to work. When
applying the autohide it does hide until you put the mouse pointer down to
the taskbar then it reappears and will not rehide even if you click on the
desktop. Is there another setting that is conflicting this one? Any
Ideas?!

Thank you for any Responses
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 7:52:58 PM

Try this.

Check this one...
? Auto-hide the taskbar
[[Hides the taskbar. To redisplay the taskbar, point to the area of your
screen where the taskbar is located. If you want to be sure that your
taskbar will be visible whenever you point to it, select the Keep the
taskbar on top of other windows check box and also select the Auto-hide the
taskbar check box.]]

UNCheck this one...
? Keep the taskbar on top of other windows
[[Ensures that the taskbar is always visible, even when you run a program in
a maximized (full-screen) window.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:o WBhkirwEHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Parker <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello All,
>
> I cannot get the autohide for the taskbar to continue to work. When
> applying the autohide it does hide until you put the mouse pointer
> down to the taskbar then it reappears and will not rehide even if you
> click on the desktop. Is there another setting that is conflicting
> this one? Any Ideas?!
>
> Thank you for any Responses
November 5, 2004 10:51:01 AM

Thank You, We did not uncheck the on top box. That worked! Thanks Again.

news:o Q38DeswEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Try this.
>
> Check this one...
> ? Auto-hide the taskbar
> [[Hides the taskbar. To redisplay the taskbar, point to the area of your
> screen where the taskbar is located. If you want to be sure that your
> taskbar will be visible whenever you point to it, select the Keep the
> taskbar on top of other windows check box and also select the Auto-hide
> the
> taskbar check box.]]
>
> UNCheck this one...
> ? Keep the taskbar on top of other windows
> [[Ensures that the taskbar is always visible, even when you run a program
> in
> a maximized (full-screen) window.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:o WBhkirwEHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Parker <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I cannot get the autohide for the taskbar to continue to work. When
>> applying the autohide it does hide until you put the mouse pointer
>> down to the taskbar then it reappears and will not rehide even if you
>> click on the desktop. Is there another setting that is conflicting
>> this one? Any Ideas?!
>>
>> Thank you for any Responses

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:17:06 PM

Super! :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%230eJbYzwEHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Parker <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank You, We did not uncheck the on top box. That worked! Thanks
> Again.

> news:o Q38DeswEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Try this.
>>
>> Check this one...
>> ? Auto-hide the taskbar
>> [[Hides the taskbar. To redisplay the taskbar, point to the area of
>> your screen where the taskbar is located. If you want to be sure
>> that your taskbar will be visible whenever you point to it, select
>> the Keep the taskbar on top of other windows check box and also
>> select the Auto-hide the
>> taskbar check box.]]
>>
>> UNCheck this one...
>> ? Keep the taskbar on top of other windows
>> [[Ensures that the taskbar is always visible, even when you run a
>> program in
>> a maximized (full-screen) window.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:o WBhkirwEHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Parker <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I cannot get the autohide for the taskbar to continue to work. When
>>> applying the autohide it does hide until you put the mouse pointer
>>> down to the taskbar then it reappears and will not rehide even if
>>> you click on the desktop. Is there another setting that is
>>> conflicting this one? Any Ideas?!
>>>
>>> Thank you for any Responses
June 28, 2009 11:09:43 AM

I hope I can be of some help...

Often times Windows XP (and Vista) will refuse to hide because it mistakenly believes there is still a tooltip balloon open. (I see this a lot myself with APC's Powerchute Personal Edition.) Unfortunately the only way to get your taskbar to properly hide again (and I don't mean uncheck the "Keep the taskbar ontop of other widows" option for a quick fix) is to restart the machine so that Windows resets the tooltip balloon status. What a pain!

Thankfully through my inability to let it go and hatred for this problem I have written a file that will fix this! (Works great on my Vista machine!) All the program does is overwrite the phantom tooltip balloon and then clear the tooltip balloon and Tahdah!

The tooltip will stay up for 10 seconds so that you can read the info on it (just telling you what it does and how you can contact me if you have any problems). You can close this tooltip balloon like any other by clicking on it, or if you mouse over the program tray icon it will close itself instantly.

You can find my "Taskbar SlapperĀ®" hosted by FileFactory at the following address:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag932d0/n/Taskbar_Slapper_exe

If you have any problems or questions (or would lie to know what other little programs I've made such as Task StopperĀ® - for when any program generates a CPU intensive loop that even taskmanager can't pull you out of) please feel free to email me at: NovaFrost@cox.net

I hope this helps you like it did me!
April 5, 2011 5:49:42 PM

I use XP Sp3. Rebooting to 'unstick' the Start Menu, as someone suggested, is a bit harsh. When you feel you must do something more, try this:

Desktop and icons will then be restored. It is a simple thing to do. I know, I took a deep breath the first time I tried it. The upside is it usually resolves the issue. At least for a while. It will probably return at some point. Yes, we all tired of the designed in Microsoft errors wasting so much of our time. [footnote: Bill found Derrida's deconstruction social virus while at Harvard & made his fortune on it - we all just pay and suffer]

I have been looking for a complete solution to the Start Menu. Tried several little home made apps, all with worse side effects. I think Smart Menu is a nice task launcher. But there are others. Ones written by good programmers (not the low MS standards). Maybe we can just let go a bit of the MS leash and spend our time on getting things done.

Disclaimer:
Please consult a professional Microsoft authorized technician before considering any of this advice. Do not attempt it if pregnant or you were created through pregnancy.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him...
The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself
... All progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw
!