Suggestions for setting up a community wireless network ?

I want to set up a small community WIFI network that may have as many
as 100 clients. My house is on top of a tall hill and I have a T1
connection but the community below me is 1-2 miles away and clear line
of sight but has no high speed access. My idea is to set up a reliable
and secure wireless network for the town.

I'm looking for robust Acess Points that I can completely manage using
SMTP or good software and is easy to secure with VPN or a RADIUS
server.

I am looking at different equipment for the AP's:

(1) Netgear ME102 or ME103
(2) NetGear WGT624
(3) D-Link Air DWL-900AP
(4) Trendnet TEW 431BR

All AP's would be placed in weatherpoof enclosures mounted on a 50 ft
tower with sector antennas to cover different parts of the town. AP's
that don't require extensive modification to add external antennas is
a plus.

Any ideas, especially on setting up the VPN or RADIUS server. This is
my first Access Point.

Thank you !

Thomas Carson
newwirelessguy@yahooNOSPAM.com
2 answers Last reply
More about suggestions setting community wireless network

    In article <sf93t0ta8o3ieh41u20rogs5suvi26u4i6@4ax.com>,
    TC <newwirelessguy@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote:
    >I want to set up a small community WIFI network that may have as many
    >as 100 clients. My house is on top of a tall hill and I have a T1
    >connection but the community below me is 1-2 miles away and clear line
    >of sight but has no high speed access. My idea is to set up a reliable
    >and secure wireless network for the town.
    >
    >I'm looking for robust Acess Points that I can completely manage using
    >SMTP or good software and is easy to secure with VPN or a RADIUS
    >server.
    >
    >I am looking at different equipment for the AP's:
    >
    >(1) Netgear ME102 or ME103
    >(2) NetGear WGT624
    >(3) D-Link Air DWL-900AP
    >(4) Trendnet TEW 431BR
    >
    >All AP's would be placed in weatherpoof enclosures mounted on a 50 ft
    >tower with sector antennas to cover different parts of the town. AP's
    >that don't require extensive modification to add external antennas is
    >a plus.
    >
    >Any ideas, especially on setting up the VPN or RADIUS server. This is
    >my first Access Point.
    >
    >Thank you !
    >
    >Thomas Carson
    >newwirelessguy@yahooNOSPAM.com

    Look at nycwireless.net for some ideas and links to other resources.

    Any way I can imagine "100 clients" puts the distances outside the
    range of a single consumer AP unless all the clients use outdoor dish
    antennas, and maybe not even then. Some APs have more powerfull radio
    transmitters. Look for milliwatt ratings. 30mw is poor. 200mw is
    available. If you actually get 100 concurrant users you may find that
    a mass-market AP isn't reliable. If you do get up and running and find
    range or reliability are not as expected, consider buying a Cisco AP
    for about $400. If you get some other houses to help by putting
    equipment of the roof you can extent range by using APs in "mesh"
    mode.

    The old curmudgeon here reminds me to say that if you're going to
    charge anyone for this you'd better get legal advice.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    FYI, our 802.11b NETGEAR router's antenna is fixed and cannot be
    upgraded. Suggest you look for a router with a removable antenna. This
    is not always mentioned in product reviews. Also, I'm not sure how the
    dual antennas in 802.11g routers would be replaced with only a single
    coax into an amplified (aka "gain") antenna. Good luck, and please post
    your experience, too.

Wireless Network Wireless Networking