Troubleshooting assistance please

swelldom

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
Greetings

I need some assistance determining if the problems I'm experiencing are CPU or motherboard related. That's as far as I could narrow it down.
I have a p4-1.5Ghz and a TH7-RAID board. The current issue is constant lockups on my system, occurring most frequently in games, and I play many. Inside a game, I cannot play for more than fifteen monutes without a lockup. I know this is a hardware issue, because lockups have occurred during the post, prior to windows loading. Also, I have received error messages that "the CPU is unworkable or has been changed," and some messages that "the CMOS checksum is invalid, defaults loaded." My clock resets itself to January 1st 2000 whenever the CMOS message comes up. Basically, I can't get ahold of another P4 to test if the processor is bad, and I'm not too sure the processor can corrupt the CMOS anyway. Anyone have any ideas? Is a virus a possibility and how would I detect it and clean it?

Thanks in advance

FatBurger

Illustrious
Make sure all your jumpers are correct, for one. Sounds like something might be put wrong. It could also be a PSU issue, what kind do you have?

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

swelldom

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
Well, in true Abit form, the motherboard is jumperless. Problems began occurring after the system had been up and running well for a month, and I hadn't changed any piece of hardware except the hard drive, which was up for a week prior to the problems. I'm also not sure what PSU means. Could you clarify? Thanks

G

If you can coppy down erro message and go to google.com and place it in the search you might find out if somebody else has had same problem. I do not think it is a power supply issue ussally power supply problem are more predictable.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
bad battery on the mobo maybe? do you have the lastest bios? are you loading bios defaults?

Jesus saves..... and Lemieux scores on the rebound!!!!!