Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Diskclean won't work on my daughters computer with XP home. I tried to go
into safe mode to see if I could use disk clean and I get a message, file
NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupted, What can I do to fix this?

[[Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
Winnt_root\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file. ]]

See this >>>

Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware
Configuration Problem
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:D0BDCB15-B4BF-4F0B-90D3-2D0691ABBF14@microsoft.com,
Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Diskclean won't work on my daughters computer with XP home. I tried
> to go into safe mode to see if I could use disk clean and I get a
> message, file NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupted, What can I do to
> fix this?

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248

Disk Cleanup Utility Stops Responding
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812930

Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?

Disk Cleanup - Compressed Old Files Freezes (Line 48)
To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer
yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the
file and selecting Edit.

Restore Disk Cleanup - cleanmgr (Line 84)

and finally
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477