Laurie

when i click on system information either in program files system tools or
try to run msinfo32.exe instead of system info coming up i get the help and
support page. already tried the fix from kelly's site. didn't help. i am
running xp sp1.

You may or may not be able to fix this. I can't fix mine.

It used to work but a Windows Critical Update screwed it up.
I don't know which CU is the culprit. Doesn't matter, it's screwed up.

This works. It's what I use.

Go here:

Read instructions at the top.
Scroll down to and Click on:
172. Msinfo32 Batch File - To Gain Access

Unzip and save it where ever | Create a shortcut | Place the shortcut in
your Start Menu, Desktop or where ever | Click the shortcut to open msinfo32
Saves typing it in the Start | Run box every time.

Also in case any of this may work for you.....

Go here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm

Scroll down to:
Can't Open Msinfo32