Power Schemes

Hi, Somehow all my power schemes have vanished from my power properties.
I use Win XP home. I cannot add any new scheme because all the timing
adjustments are grayed. Please help. Restarting does not work.

Hi aryavat,

You could give this tweak, courtesy of Kelly Theriot, a try:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 204, right-hand side -->
Restore Power Schemes/Configurations)

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"aryavat" <aryavat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Somehow all my power schemes have vanished from my power properties.
> I use Win XP home. I cannot add any new scheme because all the timing
> adjustments are grayed. Please help. Restarting does not work.

Thanx Patti,
I tried that but it asks me to run an exe file.
Just wanted to know if thats ok ..I mean how good is the site ? + is there
any place where i can get written information rather than have to run a
program.?
I appreciate yr help.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi aryavat,
>
> You could give this tweak, courtesy of Kelly Theriot, a try:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 204, right-hand side -->
> Restore Power Schemes/Configurations)
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "aryavat" <aryavat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Somehow all my power schemes have vanished from my power properties.
> > I use Win XP home. I cannot add any new scheme because all the timing
> > adjustments are grayed. Please help. Restarting does not work.

I am sorry its not an exe file but a .reg file.
I dont know about this extension and what happens when I run it

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi aryavat,
>
> You could give this tweak, courtesy of Kelly Theriot, a try:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 204, right-hand side -->
> Restore Power Schemes/Configurations)
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "aryavat" <aryavat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Somehow all my power schemes have vanished from my power properties.
> > I use Win XP home. I cannot add any new scheme because all the timing
> > adjustments are grayed. Please help. Restarting does not work.

A .reg is a registry file. When you double-click on a .reg file the contents
of the file are merged into your registry. Rather than have you edit the
registry yourself, which is risky, Kelly has provided you a way to do it
safely.

Kelly Theriot is a well-known and well-respected Microsoft MVP (Most
Valuable Professional). Her .reg files presume that anyone using her work
has not tinkered with their systems in ways that Microsoft does not support.
If that describes you, then you can trust Kelly's work. Still, it's always a
good idea to set a restore point before making a change to your registry,
and you should do that.
--
Ted Zieglar

> I am sorry its not an exe file but a .reg file.
> I dont know about this extension and what happens when I run it
>

> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > Hi aryavat,
> >
> > You could give this tweak, courtesy of Kelly Theriot, a try:
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 204, right-hand
side -->
> > Restore Power Schemes/Configurations)
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "aryavat" <aryavat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, Somehow all my power schemes have vanished from my power
properties.
> > > I use Win XP home. I cannot add any new scheme because all the timing
> > > adjustments are grayed. Please help. Restarting does not work.

Thank you Ted, That was really helpful.
I actually deleted some of the power schemes some time back and left only
two there. Now when I go into regedit thru my admin acct, it shows the two
shemes separately and also shows the one currently in use. But its only that
I am not getting an option to add more schemes or view the existing options
from power options menu through control panel power properies. All that is
however working perfectly well in the guest account.
My question is "Do i really have to go thru registry editing for restortion
of power properties?"
Please also tell me as to how to create a backup or a restore point for my
registry settings.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> A .reg is a registry file. When you double-click on a .reg file the contents
> of the file are merged into your registry. Rather than have you edit the
> registry yourself, which is risky, Kelly has provided you a way to do it
> safely.
>
> Kelly Theriot is a well-known and well-respected Microsoft MVP (Most
> Valuable Professional). Her .reg files presume that anyone using her work
> has not tinkered with their systems in ways that Microsoft does not support.
> If that describes you, then you can trust Kelly's work. Still, it's always a
> good idea to set a restore point before making a change to your registry,
> and you should do that.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "aryavat" <aryavat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am sorry its not an exe file but a .reg file.
> > I dont know about this extension and what happens when I run it
> >

> > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi aryavat,
> > >
> > > You could give this tweak, courtesy of Kelly Theriot, a try:
> > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 204, right-hand
> side -->
> > > Restore Power Schemes/Configurations)
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Patti MacLeod
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > "aryavat" <aryavat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> properties.

To create a restore point: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
> System Restore.

You unintentionally corrupted the registry keys that define the power
options in the portion of the registry that controls the Administrator
account. The portion of the registry that controls the Guest account was not
touched, so it still functions correctly. Restoring the power options
requires a registry edit.

There are several ways to edit the registry in your case, but you should
always try the easy way first.
--
Ted Zieglar

> Thank you Ted, That was really helpful.
> I actually deleted some of the power schemes some time back and left only
> two there. Now when I go into regedit thru my admin acct, it shows the two
> shemes separately and also shows the one currently in use. But its only
that
> I am not getting an option to add more schemes or view the existing
options
> from power options menu through control panel power properies. All that is
> however working perfectly well in the guest account.
> My question is "Do i really have to go thru registry editing for
restortion
> of power properties?"
> Please also tell me as to how to create a backup or a restore point for my
> registry settings.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > A .reg is a registry file. When you double-click on a .reg file the
contents
> > of the file are merged into your registry. Rather than have you edit the
> > registry yourself, which is risky, Kelly has provided you a way to do it
> > safely.
> >
> > Kelly Theriot is a well-known and well-respected Microsoft MVP (Most
> > Valuable Professional). Her .reg files presume that anyone using her
work
> > has not tinkered with their systems in ways that Microsoft does not
support.
> > If that describes you, then you can trust Kelly's work. Still, it's
always a
> > good idea to set a restore point before making a change to your
registry,
> > and you should do that.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "aryavat" <aryavat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am sorry its not an exe file but a .reg file.
> > > I dont know about this extension and what happens when I run it

> > side -->

> > properties.

Thanx a lot Ted,
My system is back to its original state in terms of the power configuration,
just as i wanted.
Thank you and Kelly again.