Abit Be6 and the "Ambulance-like" beeping, help

shaxs

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Hello,
I have an abit b26 with a p3 500, 128 megs of pc-100 ram, a g400 32 meg dual head video card, 20 gig ibm hard drive, old school 8x cdrom (from my old packard bell heh), an ethernet card, and um... I think those are all the important specs. Well, one day Win me would not come out of suspend mode. So, I pressed the restart button and when the computer started back on all I got was a "doooo do doooo do dooo do doooo" ambulance like beeping with NO post to the monitor. I took everything out, and and put it back in thinking something was unset. I made sure the fan was on the cpu right thinking that maybe the bio's cpu protection was stepping in. I am stuck. Anyone know what this problem is? I am thinking the motherboard is shot?
-Jason

Ps. This is my throw together comp for my brother so he stays off mine.

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Probably bad ram. If I remember correctly the last time I heard a beep code that sounded like a European police car.(which I assume you are describing it as)it was a ram issue. Changed out the ram in the first channel and all was well again.

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I heard this is caused by a bad pwer circuit on the motherboard. Usually form a bad capacitor. Cheack to see if any of your capacitors are swollen, or "barrel" shaped instead of cyclindrical. These are actually easy to replace by a person with minimal soldering skill.

Back to you Tom...

shaxs

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
are capacitors the black cylindar things on the board because some of them look liek they have black scrotche top of them.
-Jason

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They look like what? If there is a tar like substance on them they are leaking, which means they're bad. Capacitors are cheap, they sell them at Radion Shack. You have to use capacitors of the right capacitance, measured in microferads ( the mu-f on the capaictor). Since these usually go all the way through the board, a novice can do the work. But if you prefer to pay an expert, it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes each.

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
if you cant find the mu-f number, then you can also take the mobo in to radio shack and show them ,they will give you the right ones...
the last time i needed to replace one, it was on a speaker amp, and i took the bord into the electronic shop, and the guy gave me the right one...and even gave me a free roll of solder wick so that there would be no dripping or spilling...
they are pretty easy to remove, and install...just make sure that they are installed with the positive lead in the positive side, and the negative in the negative...otherwise, they will bulge again, and possibly fry something else...and you will be back to square one...the guys and gals at radioshack should be able to help you know which way they go in if you are having trouble...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-