question about VGA card in mb

G

I am trying to install a video card from nVidia, the TNT2 Model 64 in an ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 board. The bios version of the mb is 4.51pg and the bios date is 07/08/98. I have been told that I need to set the mb bios so that it assigns an IRQ to the video card. I don't know how to do this, or even if it is possible with this board. Please let me know either way, one, if it is possible, and two, how to set this correctly. Thanks.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Just press the "Del" key at startup when the screen says "Pres 'Del' To Enter Setup". Typically this option is available while your system counts your RAM. Once into the BIOS, look through all the available sections for an option labeled "Assign IRQ to VGA" or something similar. Set it to "Yes" or "Enabled" if it isn't already.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
For that particlular board, it is located in either the Advanced settings or Power Management Settings section. And yes, it is very improtant you do this.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

It seems from the response I got back from Asus' tech support that I cannot assign an IRQ to the video card on this board. This is what I got from them
"Dear customer, Thanks for choosing ASUSTeK. As far as we know, this board can't support this VGA card due to it can't support enough power of the card. Change IRQ is no useful. sorry for any your inconvenience."
I don't quite understand this power issue with the card, but, in any case, I thought I would post this response anyway in hopes of hearing other's responses to it. Thanks.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I remember reading in this forum maybe six months or a year or more ago about some MBs not having the correct voltage for some video cards and/or versions.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 10/22/01 04:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>