Battlefield 3 crashing and freezing.

Hi, I pre-ordered Bf3 and excitedly downloaded it. When I go to play however, I get the game to start loading, and then it freezes, my cursor is freed, and I get window telling me it has stopped working. The issue seems to be dxgi.dll as that's the recurring culprit. I've tried ati drivers 11.9 and 11.10 neither work. Please help?
18 answers Last reply
More about battlefield crashing freezing
  1. Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: bf3.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4e9d3315
    Fault Module Name: dxgi.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b819
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0002d9d4
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  2. Martin 71 said:
    Hi, I pre-ordered Bf3 and excitedly downloaded it. When I go to play however, I get the game to start loading, and then it freezes, my cursor is freed, and I get window telling me it has stopped working. The issue seems to be dxgi.dll as that's the recurring culprit. I've tried ati drivers 11.9 and 11.10 neither work. Please help?



    Can't help you any man, I've got crossfire 5870's and the game crashes 50% of the time on boot... then it works the other half the time.

    Disabling crossfire makes it boot fine, but that's not why I spent 500 bucks on GPU's now is it?

    Between this and the botched RAGE game, I'm starting to get very frustrated!
  3. yeah. I can't believe it, but I'm thinking of going green...
  4. nah don't go green, install the 11.10 without CAP.

    dxgi I believe to be a directx dll, but I haven't heard of any dx 11 revisions, so it's just drivers
  5. you need to update your gfx driver to get rid of that dx error. you want the 11.10.3 driver.
    amd_catalyst_11.10_preview3 to be exact... http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU124AMDCat1110PreDriverV3.aspx
    get it from above...
  6. Hi, turns out it was ati tray tools and my drivers having some sort of issue. the new 11.10's solved it... thanks!
  7. Martin 71 said:
    Hi, I pre-ordered Bf3 and excitedly downloaded it. When I go to play however, I get the game to start loading, and then it freezes, my cursor is freed, and I get window telling me it has stopped working. The issue seems to be dxgi.dll as that's the recurring culprit. I've tried ati drivers 11.9 and 11.10 neither work. Please help?



    I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :)
    Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :)

    Spreed the word :)
  8. Quote:
    I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :)
    Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :)

    Spreed the word :)

    Seriously? that's fantastic! I'll try it tonight, thanks!
  9. he's been copy pasting that message all over the BF3 threads. If only bothered to put in the effort to spell things correctly I'd support his claims. So far, the only crashes it has fixed are his own
  10. I don't know if the punkbuster thing would work for me. I found that the ati driver was crashing when this was happening, in one of the event log message I spotted the driver atikmpag.sys. That led me to believe the problem is the ati driver or some setting in the game that's not working with the driver. So...

    I went through some testing and I think I have it narrowed down to Ambient Occulsion setting in BF3.

    Graphics: Custom
    Turn all quality related settings to low. This will be the baseline starting point.

    Disable all anti-aliasing, deferred and post. Motion blur off.

    Set anistropic filter to 1X

    Set Ambient Occulsion to HBAO.

    This seems to be the problem. When I have this set to "SSAO" or "Off" I get crashes that lock up my entire machine, hard reboot is required. What's funny to me is this is the quality setting. HBAO should result in lower frame rates, but that's OK with me if it means stability.

    I haven't had a single crash since I made this change to Ambient Occulsion. Played 5 or 6 games last night, and have slowly begun increasing quality settings today, up to 8x anistropic filtering and medium quality settings with no issues. Next will be anti-aliasing.

    My System:

    Asus P6T Professional
    Intel i7 920. Currently not overclocked as I had to eliminate that is a possible cause.
    6GB Memory, 2x2x2
    Radeon 5970 Default clock and memory setting, again eliminating that as a possible cause.
    CPU and GRAPHICS are water cooled.

    Hope someone else finds this useful
  11. Martin 71 said:
    Seriously? that's fantastic! I'll try it tonight, thanks!


    How do you Reboot your comp? and what does that affect?
  12. sphynx said:
    How do you Reboot your comp? and what does that affect?

    How do you reboot your computer? well, you turn it off, then turn it back on....
  13. Ty man after a day of reading pc forums I realized how stupid that question is :(... lol well at least now i'm definitely a lot more educated when it comes to pc

    cheers
  14. upinya03 said:


    I went through some testing and I think I have it narrowed down to Ambient Occulsion setting in BF3.

    Graphics: Custom
    Turn all quality related settings to low. This will be the baseline starting point.

    Disable all anti-aliasing, deferred and post. Motion blur off.

    Set anistropic filter to 1X

    Set Ambient Occulsion to HBAO.

    This seems to be the problem. When I have this set to "SSAO" or "Off" I get crashes that lock up my entire machine, hard reboot is required. What's funny to me is this is the quality setting. HBAO should result in lower frame rates, but that's OK with me if it means stability.

    I haven't had a single crash since I made this change to Ambient Occulsion. Played 5 or 6 games last night, and have slowly begun increasing quality settings today, up to 8x anistropic filtering and medium quality settings with no issues. Next will be anti-aliasing.

    My System:

    Asus P6T Professional
    Intel i7 920. Currently not overclocked as I had to eliminate that is a possible cause.
    6GB Memory, 2x2x2
    Radeon 5970 Default clock and memory setting, again eliminating that as a possible cause.
    CPU and GRAPHICS are water cooled.

    Hope someone else finds this useful

    Mate, you just can't believe how much I was helped by your post. Had the exact same issues with an HD5870 875M 1GB DDR5 DP HDMI DUAL DVI PCI-E XXX: system freezes in battlefield, even after using using a modified by XXX firmware that changed stock frequencies to 900/1250 (from 875/1300).

    At the moment everything is ok. I am using the simple ati display driver (removed CCC since I thought this might have something to do with it). Also removed the messaging overlay from Origin.

    Following the instructions of your post the system has been rock steady with either the custom settings proposed or with the graphics setting set to "Medium". Will check what the difference is between that and Auto (which is the same as "High" on this rig).

    One note though: during experimentation I could not make heads of tails of why the system crashed, whereas it didn't. I found out that launching MSI afterburner for some reason (due to the overlay perhaps) it froze the game. And now the important bit: after a game crash, even removing the culprit (afterburner in this case) won't cut it! You have to restart in order to start clean. Otherwise all game launches will end with a crash!

    Thanks again for your post mate, helped me a lot. BTW my system specs:


    Q9450, 4Gb Ram, Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1, HD5870 875M 1GB DDR5 DP HDMI DUAL DVI PCI-E XXX gfx, Realtek onboard sound (stock Win 7 drivers).
  15. I had a crash issue but I dont think its the same as yours. I could get into a game but would freeze after 10-20 secs. Updated my RealTek driver and it went away.
  16. I am having a similar issue with crashing, I have narrowed it down to being CrossFire X. As long as I am running Crossfire the game freezes and then crashes at launch. Without CFX the game run perfectly fine at 1920x1080p on Ultra. I get about a 50fps average, but as someone above said... "Thats not why I paid $579 on Crossfire GPU's, now is it?!? I have even tried turning CFX off, then launching the game and putting all settings on minimum, and then exiting and re-enabling CFX and launching. No good. As long as CFX is on, the game will not launch. I have the latest (12.01) driver. My system specs are (all stock)...

    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 Deneb 3.0 GHz
    8GB ADATA XPG Gaming Series V2.0 2000MHz RAM
    2x MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Frozr II- 2GB (each) Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ult.
    Seagate Barricuda 7200 rpm 500GB
  17. Yeah... I've decided to ditch my 6870s today. I'm ordering a 7970 tomorrow :D so sick of crossfire's shortcomings.
  18. I dont think it is so much the shortcomings of CFX. As it is technical adversity (maybe?). For instance, I went in and set-up an eyefinity profile, and (just to test the theory) linked my Panasonice 55" Plasma (which is what I usually game on) and my 21" Flat Screen monitor. Then ran Battlefield 3 in CFX on Ultra and somewhere in the 5200's area resolution, and it works beautifully. Didn't play worth a crap, not a performance issue but because with only two monitors you are forced to try to aim where the screens meet. The game played perfectly though, and looked perfect as well. On the other hand, I have several other games that are AMD optimized, like Dirt 3 and Deus Ex:Human Revolution, that run just fine on my tv in CFX at full maximum settings. Also some, like Skyrim, that run perfectly with all settings on maximum with CFX disabled that run like crap in CFX. (Skyrims launcher actually preferred that I run High settings with CFX on, but defaults to Ultra with CFX disabled).

    So, I think that as more games come out that are AMD optimized as well as Nvidia, then we will be seeing much better performance out of these 6xxx series cards in CFX. Im hoping to see Mass Effect 3 be optimized for both. Its all just a theory and I could be wrong but there it is.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Battlefield Games Video Games