Battlefield 3 crashing after only 1-2 minutes of play

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
So I just got BF3 and... well thats pretty much it can't play for more than 1-2 minutes. Then it crashes my computer. (when sli is activated) and to desktop when sli is not activated.

I have 2 560 ti Gigabyte OC in sli mode. Latest nvidia drivers on, update downloaded, retail version etc.

I'm pretty sure it is a GPU issue. Maybe a BIOS one. I saw that there is a new BIOS for this GPU. I'm wondering if I have to flash both cards or if there is another possible solution. I Have no clue how to flash and I don't want to screw up my GPUs. I really want to play that freaking game though.

Crysis 2, SC2 and the WItcher 2 runs perfectly on SLI on this computer.

Help please!

for such a short time its unlikely to be your temps. could be the psu is running out of grunt, and due to its over volt protection is shutting down to save the system..
so try turning off sli and see if the pc shuts down with a single card in play.
if all is well after you have tested 2 cards separately try them together with a game that will max out the gpu usage or better still try a benchmark tool like furmark to stress the gpu's specifically and see if that causes an off.

if it fails the gpu load test then definalty look at the psu.

malakar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I run Crysis 2 on ultra settings directx 11 patch easily without any framerate drop. Using SLI settings of course. No crash no problems, GPU temperature staying under 70 degrees.

I can also run the witcher 2 ultra settings easily (without uber sampling)

It seems only BF3 is experiencing those problems.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I've read on the EA BF3 forums and the origin forums tha flashing the 560ti bios (at least the gygabyte ones) have helped solve some of people's crashing issues. I also just read that the game is using alot of virtual memory, so changing that in windows to about 3 gbs has helped some too. I'm going to try increasing the virt. memory when I get home, I've done a fresh install and loaded just drivers and origin/bf3 on my ssd and I still lock up. Post back if you do either of these and your results.

malakar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
yeah I saw that some places, but I'd say I'm afraid to mess with my gigabyte GPU's BIOS. I don't have much experience in that. I'd try the virtual memory thing though, is it easy and safe to do?

Gafen

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
These crashes are not a problem on our end! To many people with the same problem! Mine does it as well!

CPU: i5 2500k 4.7GHz
GPU: HD6850 850Mhz
RAM: 8GB DDR3

DxDiag:
http://www.mediafire.com/?rre9flxdb45ia5r [mediafire.com]

Single player:
Happens every time a round ends just before "YOU WON" or Stats screen between rounds.

Multilayer:
Crashes on loading a Level just before loading screen.
If i'm lucky enough to get past that, Crashes just after talking about the battle plan on the first Level in the market. I run through the market, into a building, I just get my sprint ability i sprint down the alleyway i get 80% the way down and it Crashes every time!

What i've tried:
I've Reinstalled Battlefield 3, Reinstalled Origin, Reinstalled/Updated Drivers, Reinstalled Catalyst control centre, Reinstalled direct x, memory scan, hard-drive scan, flash bios, lowered video settings to low, down clocked GPU from stock 790-750, down clocked cpu from 4700- stock 3300

BlazinAze

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Ive been searching for a solution to this problem for about 2-3 days now. The drivers crash afte about 5-30 minutes of gameplay (give of take). I have the same graphics card: Gigabyte Gtx 560TI Oc and i have no idea why the derivers are only crashing when playing BF3. I think it has something to do with either the drivers or Battlefield 3 . This is really getting on my nerves...

malakar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Yeah I think your right, flashing my gigabyte is to risky. It's either a driver issue or a game issue. I hope Dice will release a patch that will fix this.

After all I only got to play Crysis 2 a few days ago, when the new nvidia drivers got out. Sometimes I regret leaving the console world...

G

Anyone have this problem with 64-bit? I've got this problem with 32-bit, the tech support guy say's that's the reason. I hope he's wrong, because it's not worth the hassle.

ibhunting

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I finally fixed this freezing/crashing problem!!!
I had tried everything else, re=installing punbuster, updating video drivers
even underclocking my video card and nothing worked until I went to
option, the changed the video from auto to medium. Shazaam!
Good Luck to you!

GD_MrSquiggle

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hey guys, I posted this on another thread but I'll do the copy and paste here as it may also be the fix you need.

I've got a Nvidia GTX570 and I was having all sorts of issues with video card freeze, crash to desktop with the game still running but locked up, black screen and white screen. All in BF2BC and BF3 and no other games. Then I was getting a consistent crash to black screen in the BF3 campaign on the guillotine map load.

I tried everything I could think of to fix it. Latest drivers, reduced card performance settings, disabling of the Realtech sound devices , update punkbuster, update the game, etc. etc. etc. Nothing worked. Then...... I updated the video card bios and now everything works fine and no issues at all. 97% GPU utilization and 57 deg C on the card. Everything runs on the high settings no crash no lag no artifacts. I can run GPUZ also with no conflicts.

Try it maybe its just what you need to fix yours.

malakar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Yeah flashing your card BIOS is probably the way to go if you know what you're doing. But I'm not comfortable doing it. The good news though, I finally figured out how to make it work.

Btw I have windows 64, so the guy saying its only on 32 is full of ****.

Anyway, it was quite simple, with 2 gigabyte 560 ti OC, in sli, rather than flashing my BIOS I only increased my voltage from 987 to 1000 and I decreased my speed from 900 to 850. (The Bios update actually changes the voltage a bit and performance). I don't know if decreasing speed is absolutly necessary but its the only way to make it work for me. Since then, no crashes, no issues, no compromise. I can run it on whatever settings, no bugs and everything is perfect, multiplayer or campaign mode. Dunno if this will work with other cards but it works like a charm for gigabyte 560 ti OC. Good luck!

malakar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Oh, btw I was using MSI after burner too change my cards voltage and clock speed.

I also tried lowering graphics, turning off sli, changing to older drivers, beta drivers and pretty much all other proposed fixes but nothing worked excepted what I did. So I run with the latest nvidia driver.

G

Thanks for the info Malakar, I'll give it a shot. Just got MSI Afterburner now. Am really praying for this, it's the last soloution I'll try before giving up I think.

ReceptiveSwine

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
For anyone running 560Ti's that are overclocked, particularly Gigabyte's, I would highly recommend following Malakar's advice, as it seems BF3 is causing them to lock up, hitting 99% usage, failing and causing it to crash because of the high clock.
I underclocked my card from 900MHz to 850 and have been able to run ultra with a minimum of 35 fps with no crashes for over 2 hours, when before I was getting maybe 2 minutes of gameplay maximum ( campaign )
This so far seems to be the best temporary solution, also downloaded the latest non-beta nVidia drivers as well just incase.
Thankyou Malakar. :)

wunshot

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hey guys, I was having the same problems. Repeated crashes during single player. I'll tell you this. Operation Guillotine is royally effed up. I crashed probably 15 times on that map. It drove me nuts since I just bought a evga 570 HD today. To get through the map without crashing I switched my graphics from Ultra to High. That did the trick. Once out of the map I went back to Ultra and havent crashed yet. I think the game is just buggy....which is a shame because it looks so damn amazing that I hate getting pulled out of my suspension of disbelief. Anyways....gl. I'll give an update once I try multiplayer. I dont anticipate as many crashes since I like to run multi with lower settings to help see the other team.

Wunshot

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

I've read some posts around here that mentioned the fact that you should set the detail settings at Auto instead of Ultra and it'll work way better for you.

wunshot

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Auto actually was putting my textures at Ultra. Anyways....I'm screwed again. Tried playing multiplayer just now. It crashed after 30 seconds. Im watching my evga precision, and the card never got hotter than 50c....fps was good. I dont know what to do. I'm wondering if my power supply might not be strong enough. I think its a 500w, and the 570 recommends a 550w. Wouldn't that crash my whole computer? Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? The game looks great and runs like butter til the crash.

Electricoz

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I have the same card as wunshot, the same problem, and an enormous power supply. I tried messing with bios and everything but the game just crashes every time after a few good minutes of multiplayer. To be honest I've decided I'll just wait for a patch unless anyone has any advice.

wunshot

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks for posting that. Makes me feel better knowing its not just me. I checked my power supply last night....turns out it's good up to 650w, so that isn't the problem either. I tried everything last night....underclocked it, multiple drivers, different resolutions, etc etc....still didnt help. Finally gave up and decided to return the card to frys. I'll either step up to the 580 or down to the 560ti and see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.