Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Battlefield 3 crashing after only 1-2 minutes of play

Last response: in Video Games
October 26, 2011 9:48:10 PM

So I just got BF3 and... well thats pretty much it can't play for more than 1-2 minutes. Then it crashes my computer. (when sli is activated) and to desktop when sli is not activated.

I have 2 560 ti Gigabyte OC in sli mode. Latest nvidia drivers on, update downloaded, retail version etc.

I'm pretty sure it is a GPU issue. Maybe a BIOS one. I saw that there is a new BIOS for this GPU. I'm wondering if I have to flash both cards or if there is another possible solution. I Have no clue how to flash and I don't want to screw up my GPUs. I really want to play that freaking game though.

Crysis 2, SC2 and the WItcher 2 runs perfectly on SLI on this computer.

Help please!
October 27, 2011 2:35:37 AM

Nobody as any clue?
Score
October 27, 2011 5:00:10 AM

for such a short time its unlikely to be your temps. could be the psu is running out of grunt, and due to its over volt protection is shutting down to save the system..
so try turning off sli and see if the pc shuts down with a single card in play.
if all is well after you have tested 2 cards separately try them together with a game that will max out the gpu usage or better still try a benchmark tool like furmark to stress the gpu's specifically and see if that causes an off.

if it fails the gpu load test then definalty look at the psu.
Score
Related resources
October 28, 2011 12:03:31 PM

I run Crysis 2 on ultra settings directx 11 patch easily without any framerate drop. Using SLI settings of course. No crash no problems, GPU temperature staying under 70 degrees.

I can also run the witcher 2 ultra settings easily (without uber sampling)

It seems only BF3 is experiencing those problems.
Score
October 28, 2011 3:24:07 PM

then i would suggest updating your drivers and not using sli until the drivers are working properly. nvidias lates driver offers upto 30% imporvment in bf3 but sli still has issues.
Score
October 28, 2011 5:46:35 PM

I've read on the EA BF3 forums and the origin forums tha flashing the 560ti bios (at least the gygabyte ones) have helped solve some of people's crashing issues. I also just read that the game is using alot of virtual memory, so changing that in windows to about 3 gbs has helped some too. I'm going to try increasing the virt. memory when I get home, I've done a fresh install and loaded just drivers and origin/bf3 on my ssd and I still lock up. Post back if you do either of these and your results.
Score
October 28, 2011 11:34:47 PM

yeah I saw that some places, but I'd say I'm afraid to mess with my gigabyte GPU's BIOS. I don't have much experience in that. I'd try the virtual memory thing though, is it easy and safe to do?
Score
October 29, 2011 2:59:47 AM

These crashes are not a problem on our end! To many people with the same problem! Mine does it as well!

CPU: i5 2500k 4.7GHz
GPU: HD6850 850Mhz
RAM: 8GB DDR3

DxDiag:
http://www.mediafire.com/?rre9flxdb45ia5r [mediafire.com]

Single player:
Happens every time a round ends just before "YOU WON" or Stats screen between rounds.

Multilayer:
Crashes on loading a Level just before loading screen.
If i'm lucky enough to get past that, Crashes just after talking about the battle plan on the first Level in the market. I run through the market, into a building, I just get my sprint ability i sprint down the alleyway i get 80% the way down and it Crashes every time!

What i've tried:
I've Reinstalled Battlefield 3, Reinstalled Origin, Reinstalled/Updated Drivers, Reinstalled Catalyst control centre, Reinstalled direct x, memory scan, hard-drive scan, flash bios, lowered video settings to low, down clocked GPU from stock 790-750, down clocked cpu from 4700- stock 3300
Score
October 29, 2011 11:42:36 AM

Ive been searching for a solution to this problem for about 2-3 days now. The drivers crash afte about 5-30 minutes of gameplay (give of take). I have the same graphics card: Gigabyte Gtx 560TI Oc and i have no idea why the derivers are only crashing when playing BF3. I think it has something to do with either the drivers or Battlefield 3 . This is really getting on my nerves...
Score
October 29, 2011 12:00:50 PM

Yeah I think your right, flashing my gigabyte is to risky. It's either a driver issue or a game issue. I hope Dice will release a patch that will fix this.

After all I only got to play Crysis 2 a few days ago, when the new nvidia drivers got out. Sometimes I regret leaving the console world...
Score
October 29, 2011 12:35:58 PM

Agreed. I just left my xbox lying in the dust to become a pc gamer... And this is What i get
:l well lets wait and see, hope that it gets fixed ASAP :) 
Score
Anonymous
October 29, 2011 11:04:47 PM

Anyone have this problem with 64-bit? I've got this problem with 32-bit, the tech support guy say's that's the reason. I hope he's wrong, because it's not worth the hassle.
Score
Anonymous
October 29, 2011 11:42:15 PM

Well, didnt this also happen with WOrld in Conflict: Soviet Assault, on 32-bit?
Score
October 30, 2011 3:39:24 AM

I finally fixed this freezing/crashing problem!!!
I had tried everything else, re=installing punbuster, updating video drivers
even underclocking my video card and nothing worked until I went to
option, the changed the video from auto to medium. Shazaam!
Good Luck to you!
Score
October 30, 2011 8:46:51 AM

Hey guys, I posted this on another thread but I'll do the copy and paste here as it may also be the fix you need.

I've got a Nvidia GTX570 and I was having all sorts of issues with video card freeze, crash to desktop with the game still running but locked up, black screen and white screen. All in BF2BC and BF3 and no other games. Then I was getting a consistent crash to black screen in the BF3 campaign on the guillotine map load.

I tried everything I could think of to fix it. Latest drivers, reduced card performance settings, disabling of the Realtech sound devices , update punkbuster, update the game, etc. etc. etc. Nothing worked. Then...... I updated the video card bios and now everything works fine and no issues at all. 97% GPU utilization and 57 deg C on the card. Everything runs on the high settings no crash no lag no artifacts. I can run GPUZ also with no conflicts.

Try it maybe its just what you need to fix yours.
Score
October 31, 2011 12:44:27 AM

Yeah flashing your card BIOS is probably the way to go if you know what you're doing. But I'm not comfortable doing it. The good news though, I finally figured out how to make it work.

Btw I have windows 64, so the guy saying its only on 32 is full of ****.

Anyway, it was quite simple, with 2 gigabyte 560 ti OC, in sli, rather than flashing my BIOS I only increased my voltage from 987 to 1000 and I decreased my speed from 900 to 850. (The Bios update actually changes the voltage a bit and performance). I don't know if decreasing speed is absolutly necessary but its the only way to make it work for me. Since then, no crashes, no issues, no compromise. I can run it on whatever settings, no bugs and everything is perfect, multiplayer or campaign mode. Dunno if this will work with other cards but it works like a charm for gigabyte 560 ti OC. Good luck!
Score
October 31, 2011 12:45:51 AM

Oh, btw I was using MSI after burner too change my cards voltage and clock speed.

I also tried lowering graphics, turning off sli, changing to older drivers, beta drivers and pretty much all other proposed fixes but nothing worked excepted what I did. So I run with the latest nvidia driver.
Score
October 31, 2011 9:44:10 AM

Actually using a vendor tool to flash the bios is likely safer than changing the setting with an overclocking tool. But each to their own method I guess.
Score
Anonymous
October 31, 2011 4:34:26 PM

Thanks for the info Malakar, I'll give it a shot. Just got MSI Afterburner now. Am really praying for this, it's the last soloution I'll try before giving up I think.
Score
October 31, 2011 11:02:53 PM

For anyone running 560Ti's that are overclocked, particularly Gigabyte's, I would highly recommend following Malakar's advice, as it seems BF3 is causing them to lock up, hitting 99% usage, failing and causing it to crash because of the high clock.
I underclocked my card from 900MHz to 850 and have been able to run ultra with a minimum of 35 fps with no crashes for over 2 hours, when before I was getting maybe 2 minutes of gameplay maximum ( campaign )
This so far seems to be the best temporary solution, also downloaded the latest non-beta nVidia drivers as well just incase.
Thankyou Malakar. :) 
Score
November 1, 2011 6:30:03 AM

Hey guys, I was having the same problems. Repeated crashes during single player. I'll tell you this. Operation Guillotine is royally effed up. I crashed probably 15 times on that map. It drove me nuts since I just bought a evga 570 HD today. To get through the map without crashing I switched my graphics from Ultra to High. That did the trick. Once out of the map I went back to Ultra and havent crashed yet. I think the game is just buggy....which is a shame because it looks so damn amazing that I hate getting pulled out of my suspension of disbelief. Anyways....gl. I'll give an update once I try multiplayer. I dont anticipate as many crashes since I like to run multi with lower settings to help see the other team.

Wunshot
Score
November 1, 2011 1:16:15 PM

wunshot said:
Hey guys, I was having the same problems. Repeated crashes during single player. I'll tell you this. Operation Guillotine is royally effed up. I crashed probably 15 times on that map. It drove me nuts since I just bought a evga 570 HD today. To get through the map without crashing I switched my graphics from Ultra to High. That did the trick. Once out of the map I went back to Ultra and havent crashed yet. I think the game is just buggy....which is a shame because it looks so damn amazing that I hate getting pulled out of my suspension of disbelief. Anyways....gl. I'll give an update once I try multiplayer. I dont anticipate as many crashes since I like to run multi with lower settings to help see the other team.

Wunshot

I've read some posts around here that mentioned the fact that you should set the detail settings at Auto instead of Ultra and it'll work way better for you.
Score
November 1, 2011 3:41:22 PM

Auto actually was putting my textures at Ultra. Anyways....I'm screwed again. Tried playing multiplayer just now. It crashed after 30 seconds. Im watching my evga precision, and the card never got hotter than 50c....fps was good. I dont know what to do. I'm wondering if my power supply might not be strong enough. I think its a 500w, and the 570 recommends a 550w. Wouldn't that crash my whole computer? Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? The game looks great and runs like butter til the crash.
Score
November 2, 2011 1:06:13 AM

I have the same card as wunshot, the same problem, and an enormous power supply. I tried messing with bios and everything but the game just crashes every time after a few good minutes of multiplayer. To be honest I've decided I'll just wait for a patch unless anyone has any advice.
Score
November 2, 2011 2:20:42 PM

Thanks for posting that. Makes me feel better knowing its not just me. I checked my power supply last night....turns out it's good up to 650w, so that isn't the problem either. I tried everything last night....underclocked it, multiple drivers, different resolutions, etc etc....still didnt help. Finally gave up and decided to return the card to frys. I'll either step up to the 580 or down to the 560ti and see how that works.
Score
November 2, 2011 10:45:29 PM

Electricoz - I've been reading that it's a voltage issue that all 570 owners are having with dx11. Pretty bad form if you ask me, but nobody did. It's going to take a bios update to fix, but dont hold your breath waiting....
Score
November 4, 2011 1:42:49 PM

Is there allready a fix for the issue ? still having the problem.. weirdest thing is single player & co-op works like a charm but only in multi it tilts my whole PC.. i have to reset it. Read about it on alot of forums, maybe a RAM issue.. anyone with some experience ? thanks !
Score
November 4, 2011 1:47:40 PM

forgot to mention, i think its not a GPU problem but a memory issue at my side..
system:
- Asus maximus formula 2
- Geforce 9800 GTX
- Intel Dual core 3.33 Ghz (@ 3.8Ghz)
- 2x2GB of SHITTY ram
Score
November 4, 2011 5:38:36 PM

Alright guys from the release day of Battlefield 3 I have been looking for a solution to my issue with my SLI 570's SC. I tried everything, nothing seemed to work crashed anywhere from 1min-1hour. The only way i could complete a full round was disabling my second card.

I finally found a solution that fixed my issue. I updated the BIOS on both my cards, it is very simple and took a matter of 2 minutes.

]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1034790&mpage=1]

I really hope this works for everyone else. I have had no issues since.
Score
November 6, 2011 12:23:27 AM

Quote:
Anyone have this problem with 64-bit? I've got this problem with 32-bit, the tech support guy say's that's the reason. I hope he's wrong, because it's not worth the hassle.

Im 64 bit and experiencing the exact same issues.
Score
November 6, 2011 8:57:13 PM

Same problem here.

Fresh install of Windows 7 64 bits
All drivers up to date.

i5-2500K
16GB of Gskill Ripjaws
Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti

No overclock.

BF3 crashes 75% of the times I try to play. Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes in teh secornd of third round I lpay. Sometimes kicks me to desktop, sometimes it keeps running in a unresponsive black screen. I'm desperate. I will try the GPU bios update.
Score
November 8, 2011 9:32:05 PM

In my case, updating the bios of my GPU Gigabyte 560 Ti did the trick. Thanks guys for the suggestion. No more crashes, no more artifacts, and a slightly better performance.
Score
November 11, 2011 12:46:23 AM

Getting same random crashes. Factory OC'ed gtx 460v2 at 778 mhz clock. My gpu is handling the game fine, around 70-80% usage at 70c or so.

Ive tried everything with no luck, including different gpu drivers, nvidia drivers including 285.79 today, uninstall onboard audio etc with nothing.

Any news on an update as this clearly is not fixable...
Score
November 11, 2011 12:42:58 PM

Two days ago DICE did another update that fix a lots of gameplay problems.
Has a result a lot of players got to start playing the game online and single player with no problem. Ocasionally i have some crashes but compared with the initial release now its it much improved.
Score
November 12, 2011 12:55:31 AM

Great news!!!!!, I set the clock speeds back to 3.0GHz and the crashing stopped! Now that I know thats what causes it I think ill set it back to 3.4 and turn up my voltage to around 1.4-1.45 to see if i can get it stable without temps going to high =)
Score
November 12, 2011 8:08:27 AM

I just flashed my gigabyte 560 ti to the new BIOS and it fixed my problems, it really was a voltage issue with some cards. Everybody having issues should look if they have a BIOS upgrade available.
Score
November 12, 2011 12:42:53 PM

Or you could use MSI Afterburner. Monitor your temps closely after any voltage increase!
Score
November 16, 2011 4:40:01 PM

I've upgraded the firmware on my GTX 570 OC, run W7 64 bit, have no problems now with BF3
Score
November 19, 2011 1:07:07 PM

Yeah flashing my gtx 560 did it too, If you can't flash just use MSI too change the voltage and put in the same as the BIOS update. That's what I did before flashing with the stupidly simple gigabyte utility
Score
November 24, 2011 3:01:24 PM

Just flashed my gtx 560 ti (Gigabyte) too (well, actually both of them (sli)). Flashed it to F31 (was F30 when I got them). After that the problems were gone. Was also really easy to do the flashing, I used Easy boost that you can download from gigabyte.
Score
November 24, 2011 3:06:25 PM

ur grapics card driver has been out of date pls update ur grapics card driver n play constantli pls click this following link as u can solve this problem
Score
December 4, 2011 7:47:44 AM

malakar said:
So I just got BF3 and... well thats pretty much it can't play for more than 1-2 minutes. Then it crashes my computer. (when sli is activated) and to desktop when sli is not activated.

I have 2 560 ti Gigabyte OC in sli mode. Latest nvidia drivers on, update downloaded, retail version etc.

I'm pretty sure it is a GPU issue. Maybe a BIOS one. I saw that there is a new BIOS for this GPU. I'm wondering if I have to flash both cards or if there is another possible solution. I Have no clue how to flash and I don't want to screw up my GPUs. I really want to play that freaking game though.

Crysis 2, SC2 and the WItcher 2 runs perfectly on SLI on this computer.

Help please!

If you have constant crashes on pc i know how to solve that this not a spam i really know how and it helped me for real.go to my youtube channel it's called E430c where i have uploaded the video on how to fix it this tutorial is different than the others like reinstalling the game and all this crap,so please checkout my channel and don't forget to subscribe please that really helps.
Score
December 18, 2011 1:45:22 PM

I had the same problem but now everything is fine! + The solution fix other problem on my pc: mouse freezing!

I had RemoveWat install for Win7 Ultimate 64.

How to fix this:

1. Open cmd and type "sfc/scannow"

2. Finish the scan and restart.

3. Download Daz loader (google it) and click install.

4. Restart again

5. Problem fixed! it work for me.

Watch the video and the comments here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-wJ4-eAAWw&feature=rela...
Score
December 23, 2011 1:03:11 PM

Hi.
I Had the same problem. I tried everything (down clocking GPU, reinstalling drivers, updating BIOS), and finally I’ve managed to solve it. The problem is with sound. Probably You have two sound cards. You need to go to Device manager (I’m not Shure if this is the proper English name. Just right click My Computer and find a place where all your devises are listed). Find The sound card, and disable both of them. Yesterday I played without sound for over two hours and no crush. Finally you should enable one of them, but first try to play with no sound.
Score
December 29, 2011 6:55:02 AM

Hello guys,

I'm also having the same problem. Screen turning black and locking but still hearing the audio, then I have to CTLR/ALT/DELETE to get out and start over. Just a PITA!

I'm running...
A fresh install of W7 64bit, Intel i5-2500K OC to 3.7GHz, 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600, 850W PSU, EVGA GTX580 Superclocked.

GPU temps never over 60c and CPU temps never over 48c. GPU is usually always at 98% load when playing BF3 though.

Last night BF3 crashed right away playing Muliplayer so I CTR/ALT/DELETED and started up another session and didn't have one problem the rest of the night. Played for about 2 hours no crashing? What's going on?

Sounds like there is a lot of people having the same general problem.
Score
January 1, 2012 8:23:48 PM

Seems to be a complex set of reasons why the game crashes since some fixes only work for some and not others. After finally getting battlefield to work on my computer after hours of searching forums (i couldnt play a single mp round, and sp crashed within the first minute if not first second) I thought Id share what worked for me and the my current pc setup, in case it happens to work for someone else……

My pc:
i5 2500k
hd 6950 flashed to 6970
8gb ripjaws
asrock gen3 extreme 4 mb

What I tried:
*the above tips
*disabling onboard sound since many people feel the problem lies with realtek drivers and punkbuster not liking them – did NOT work for me though

What DID work for me:
whether it was these alone or a combination of every other fix i tried………
1) click start, type ‘services.msc’ (without the ‘ ‘) into the search box
2) right click on services and select ‘run as administrator’
3)scroll down and right click on SSDP discovery and select STOP (this also disables UPnP (which others feel is another problem) you may have to do this each time computer is booted so check
* second you get into game turn down all graphics to medium (yes i know :-/, desparate times) as long as its not on auto works for some.

This has worked for me SO FAR…..I cant take credit if it works as Ive had to trawl through many forums for methods….

this was first pc ive ever built myself (and first pc in about 8 years) and BF3 was the first game I bought, so naturally very frustrated at not being able to play…good luck trying to get this game to work
Score
January 1, 2012 8:31:27 PM

Most 1-2 minute crashes in BF3 are related to overclocks and voltage. Where factory overclocks are concerned, the voltage is too low. Where custom overclocks are concerned, sometimes the voltage and sometimes the clocks just aren't stable in BF3 (the game is finicky about overclocks).

Try reducing the overclock if it's custom, or upping your voltage in MSI Afterburner if it's factory.
Score
January 2, 2012 11:36:07 AM

Did the downclocking of my GTX 570 from 822 mHz to 800. and VOILA !!! Game goes non-stop for hours with no problems!!!!
HOORAY for this solution!!!
Score
January 2, 2012 2:20:47 PM

Grats. Also if you raise the voltage in msi afterburner to 1088 or 1100mV there is a chance you will still be stable at your original 822. But it differs for every card. My card will run at 930core/2300 mem in skyrim and most games, but in BF3 anything over 890 causes an occasional CTD regardless of how much voltage I feed it.

Glad you got your card working though.
Score
!