BF 3 Settings capped?

unaveragejoe

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I'm using an MSI Twin Frozr GTX 570, i5 2500k OC'd to 5.1ghz. I put the settings on ultra and i get completely smooth gameplay in campaign and multiplayer. I thought that to run on Ultra you needed two gtx 580s?
Is Battlefield 3 auto-capping the settings according to my hardware capabilities? The graphics are still awesome, but i'm pretty sure it's supposed to get even better. =( Maybe I am just looking too much into this?

Anyone else had this experience?

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Idk. my settings are all maxed on the rig in my config., and the game runs absolutely beautiful. I havent checked my fps yet, but it is smooth as silk, and visually stunning. I think if the settings were game capped, it would default your video settings back to the max it has chosen for you. I had to go back and look at my settings a few times out of disbelief.

Going to try and see where the work load is later on...

Edit: running @ 1920 x 1200 in windowed mode.

unaveragejoe

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I'm not sure what you mean by post-processing- do you mind explaining it?

I am running the game at 1920 x 1080 60hz.

The game says im running on "ultra" and its silky smooth -_-;; i'm confused because I am only using a single gtx 570.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Settings aren't capped. I also have a gtx 570 and the same processor (and 8gb of ram). With everything set to ultra and 4x multisampling, I drop to 40 fps on long draw distances in multiplayer. With everything at ultra and 2x multisampling I rarely drop below 55. With all ultra except 2 things on high and 2x multisampling I never drop below 65-70 fps.

You need to check your fps with fraps in multiplayer on a tight map like Seine Crossing on a 64 player server. A gtx 570 can run campaign or a low population server on ultra or near complete ultra just fine, but the fps dips to 40-45 occasionally if you're on a real server where it's busy.

Since you don't know what the post processing is, it's also safe to say that you're running at 0x MSAA since the game defaults MSAA off at all presets.

unaveragejoe

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for the responses. :hello:

Even if I use custom settings and turn everything to the highest, I get no lag. I just did not expect this to happen in BF 3.

How can I toggle graphical settings higher (increase post-processing?) than all "ultra" so I can balance my fps with graphics?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
You can turn multisampling on. 2x has almost no impact on gtx 570 gameplay, 4x occasionally causes short dips to 40 fps or so. I'm not sure if they included 8x multisampling but if they did, it will probably hammer your fps to 30-40 in multiplayer would be my guess.

Personally I think just ultra across the board with post process on high with 2x multisampling looks great and never goes below 65 fps for the gtx 570, so that seems to be the best settings for multiplayer if you play competitively and want the perfect frames.