Darrell

I would like to set my sytem to run chkdsk through Task Scheduler on a weekly
basis. I would like for it to be able to automatically fix file system
errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. In order to do
this, the system needs to restart...Is there a way that I can automate this
porcess? If possible, please provide detailed instructions. OS Windows XP
PRO-SP2.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Open up notebook. Enter chkdsk.exe /f . Save that in my documents as
error_checking.bat. Make sure the extention is .bat
Open up scheduler . Schedule a new task, Select browse. Click my documents.
Select error_checking.bat. Choose weekly and time to run. Be mindful that the
error checking will start at next boot up.

"Darrell" wrote:

> I would like to set my sytem to run chkdsk through Task Scheduler on a weekly
> basis. I would like for it to be able to automatically fix file system
> errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. In order to do
> this, the system needs to restart...Is there a way that I can automate this
> porcess? If possible, please provide detailed instructions. OS Windows XP
> PRO-SP2.

Darrell

Thanks for the reply Larry. The only problem that I will forsee encountering
is if I set a time for it to start in Task Scheduler it's still not going to
run until I manually restart the system myself. Is there a command that I
can include with the "chkdsk.exe /f" that will force it to restart own its
own?

"larry" wrote:

> Open up notebook. Enter chkdsk.exe /f . Save that in my documents as
> error_checking.bat. Make sure the extention is .bat
> Open up scheduler . Schedule a new task, Select browse. Click my documents.
> Select error_checking.bat. Choose weekly and time to run. Be mindful that the
> error checking will start at next boot up.
>
> "Darrell" wrote:
>
> > I would like to set my sytem to run chkdsk through Task Scheduler on a weekly
> > basis. I would like for it to be able to automatically fix file system
> > errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. In order to do
> > this, the system needs to restart...Is there a way that I can automate this
> > porcess? If possible, please provide detailed instructions. OS Windows XP
> > PRO-SP2.

For Chkdsk on a non-boot partition or drive you can just call for chkdsk.exe
in the Task. EG: "Chkdsk.exe D: /f /r /x" (without quotes) to do the D:
Drive.

For your boot drive you need a batch file with one line: "echo y | chkdsk c:
/f /r /x" (without quotes). Save as Check_C.bat in Windows\system32
The echo y | (pipe) gives a "yes" to the should C: be unmounted and should
this be done at next boot questions. Otherwise the batch file will just wait
for answers.

For reboot make a batch file: "shutdown.exe -r -t 00 -f" (without quotes).
Save as Reboot_immediate.bat.

If you schedule Check_C for 2:00am you can schedule Reboot_immediate for
2:01am. In the morning you can look in SchedLog.txt to see if they ran as
scheduled.

You should open a Command Prompt and enter Chkdsk /? and Shutdown /? to
verify the switches you may want to use in your batch files.

--
Remove nospam in email

Darrell

Thanks...that worked.