Sys Recovery Question

Hey all! I am having some trouble trying to use the recovery console from a
Windows Xp Pro cd. It was a hard drive I got out of my old Dell machine, They
gave no help of course. I am somehow missing files on it so I was going to
try and recover them. It won't let me delete nor write over the existing
partition when I try to reformat. When I go and try to use the recovery
console off the cd, I need an admin password and since it's been so long I
have forgotten it. Is there any way to bypass this admin password or another
solution to try to reformat this hard drive? Thanks the help!!

map

"Unt0uchable" wrote:

> Hey all! I am having some trouble trying to use the recovery console from a
> Windows Xp Pro cd. It was a hard drive I got out of my old Dell machine, They
> gave no help of course. I am somehow missing files on it so I was going to
> try and recover them. It won't let me delete nor write over the existing
> partition when I try to reformat. When I go and try to use the recovery
> console off the cd, I need an admin password and since it's been so long I
> have forgotten it. Is there any way to bypass this admin password or another
> solution to try to reformat this hard drive? Thanks the help!!

From "http://www.theeldergeek.com"
Recovery Console Password-
On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it
won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console
not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.
Start | Run | Regedit
Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry and Reboot

Thanks MAP, The only problem is though I can't start Windows. I am missing a
few random files. I am using the recovery console from the Windows Xp cd and
hoping that does the trick although I can't get pass the password. Is there a
way to get past that without entering Windows?
Thanks for the help!!

"MAP" wrote:

> "Unt0uchable" wrote:
>
> > Hey all! I am having some trouble trying to use the recovery console from a
> > Windows Xp Pro cd. It was a hard drive I got out of my old Dell machine, They
> > gave no help of course. I am somehow missing files on it so I was going to
> > try and recover them. It won't let me delete nor write over the existing
> > partition when I try to reformat. When I go and try to use the recovery
> > console off the cd, I need an admin password and since it's been so long I
> > have forgotten it. Is there any way to bypass this admin password or another
> > solution to try to reformat this hard drive? Thanks the help!!
>
> From "http://www.theeldergeek.com"
> Recovery Console Password-
> On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it
> won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console
> not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.
> Start | Run | Regedit
> Navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
> Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
> Exit Registry and Reboot

map

This has worked for me in the past
Good Luck

"Unt0uchable" wrote:

> Thanks MAP, The only problem is though I can't start Windows. I am missing a
> few random files. I am using the recovery console from the Windows Xp cd and
> hoping that does the trick although I can't get pass the password. Is there a
> way to get past that without entering Windows?
> Thanks for the help!!
>
> "MAP" wrote:
>

> > "Unt0uchable" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey all! I am having some trouble trying to use the recovery console from a
> > > Windows Xp Pro cd. It was a hard drive I got out of my old Dell machine, They
> > > gave no help of course. I am somehow missing files on it so I was going to
> > > try and recover them. It won't let me delete nor write over the existing
> > > partition when I try to reformat. When I go and try to use the recovery
> > > console off the cd, I need an admin password and since it's been so long I
> > > have forgotten it. Is there any way to bypass this admin password or another
> > > solution to try to reformat this hard drive? Thanks the help!!
> >
> > From "http://www.theeldergeek.com"
> > Recovery Console Password-
> > On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it
> > won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console
> > not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.
> > Start | Run | Regedit
> > Navigate to
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
> > Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
> > Exit Registry and Reboot

Awesome, Thanks a ton MAP!

"MAP" wrote:

> This has worked for me in the past
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> Good Luck
>
> "Unt0uchable" wrote:
>
> > Thanks MAP, The only problem is though I can't start Windows. I am missing a
> > few random files. I am using the recovery console from the Windows Xp cd and
> > hoping that does the trick although I can't get pass the password. Is there a
> > way to get past that without entering Windows?
> > Thanks for the help!!

> > > From "http://www.theeldergeek.com"
> > > Recovery Console Password-
> > > On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it
> > > won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console
> > > not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.
> > > Start | Run | Regedit
> > > Navigate to
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
> > > Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
> > > Exit Registry and Reboot

map

Your welcome,but the thanks should really go to Michael Stevens.