G

I've got an ASUS P2B with 400MHz PII CPU and 256MB PC100 RAM. In preparation for Windows XP, I'd like upgrade this system without major surgery. What is the fastest CPU I can put in this system? At some point in the future I will buy an entirely new system, so I'm not interested in anything more than a CPU boost on this one. Which specific CPUs will work on existing system board and PC100 ram? Thank you in advance.

G

According to:

http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b/jumper.html

They show jumper settings for up to 8x so it looks like I can add up to an 800MHz PIII using the 8x multiplier. But why does the chart only show up to 600MHz. Hmmm.

Do I assume correctly that I need to stick with a PIII 100MHz bus and that the 133MHz bus will not work?

So, can I use an 800MHz PIII w/100Mhz bus on my P2B?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no, you cant put a Xeon in this board, the Xeon slot has TWO notches while the P-II/III has just one.

you could use that P-III 800 MHz with a BIOS update, with a slotket adapter preferably from Asus itself, the S370-DL or something. check the votlage jumpers on the slotket.

this board with the 440BX chipset does not officialy support 133 MHz bus, but you can get close to 133 tweaking the BIOS or onboard jumpers, but that would be far away since the P-III multiplier would be locked and you could be stuck at 75% of whatever the CPU speed.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

Why do I need the slotket adapter? Can't I just use a Slot 1 PIII? Will the P2B support the right voltage for the 800MHz PIII FSB 100Mhz Slot 1 CPU?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
If the motherboard does support required voltage and clock multiplier, you don't need an adapter board in order to use a SECC2 processor. But if you desire to install a more advanced Socket 370 processor you can try the adapter solution. But in this case it is is possible to loose some ability for temperature monitoring, I'm afraid.

Yes, for your Slot1 you can use up to 1 GB PIII SECC2 processors. If you plan to go with 100 MHz FSB, so they are up to 850 MHz available for sure. Above 850 I don't know.

G

The ASUS P2B systemboard jumper only go to 8.0X for CPU Bus Frequency Multiple, so does that mean I can only go up to 800MHz? I don't see how I could set the jumpers to support 850MHz. Really appreciate the assistance here!

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
While the professors are out, I know what they would say about <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=639174#639174" target="_new"> some solutions possible. </A>

And there are <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"> some more details </A> on the Slocket solution.

hammer

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2001
any PIII will run at its set multiplier, the dips are pretty much useless. make sure your BIOS is updated and get the biggest coppermine you can afford.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
QUIT IT! How many times have I told you clock multiplier is IRRELAVENT to most PIII motherboards! The internal lock overrides whatever the motherboard is set at (including it's upper limmit)!

Back to you Tom...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
multiplies wont work on a Intel processor, check the <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/products/techref/tech-report/index.html" target="_new">Asus Tech-ref page</A> for info about board support. There is list of supported processors, the requirements (PCB rev and BIOS verion) on different motherboard, I am not sure on which page.

you can put in a 100 MHz FSB processor, but any 133 MHz processor will be stuck at 100 MHz FSB and no multiplier change, so it will run at 75% of the speed, e.g. a P-III 800/133, which is 133x6 will run at 100x6 = 600 MHz.

you need to support the voltages required by the processor, 1.75~1.7V core voltage and 3.3 V I/O which I guess it already supports. The only question remains is on frequency.

you could tweak the memory settings to run as close as 133, you might need a chipset cooler for the 82443BX chip.

better, you could get a 100 MHz FSB processor (which will obviously have a higher multiplier) and then increase the FSB a bit to get extra MHz.

I thought the slot1 processors are becoming rare, at least here in India so I suggested a slotket to mount the socket versions. But if any of those is available at your place you can go for it.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, here'e the REAL DEAL!

Get a PIII 700 and overclock it to 933! You'll need PC133 and I beleive the newest BIOs for your board suports a "Soft" setting to 133MHZ FSB.

The fastest 100MHz FSB processor your motherboard can support is the rare and expensive 1000E (the 1000EB is 133FSB, the 1000E is 100FSB). The fastest COMMON processor at 100FSB is the 850. The 700@933 is cheaper and faster than any other option you have, except for the 1000EB (133FSB) which is slightly faster at twice the price.

Don't worry about the multiplier, these are autodetected for locked processors such as any PIII. And if you used an 850 (8.5x) the processor would FORCE a new multiplier even though it's not in your options.

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, don't worry about what the other guys might say to confuse you, I'm the expert in here on this subject. You'll want to download th newest BIOS and try it to see if the 133MHZ FSB is available. If it is, your set. The 700 is the absolute best choice for overclocking to 133, because the 750 has about a 50% failure rate to run at that bus speed. And the higher the stock speed, the higher the failure rate for this 33% overclock. So I only recommend the 700.
PCI must also be set to 1/4 the FSB in order to maintain its stock 33MHz bus speed. AGP must be set to 2/3 (because there is no 1/2 option) to get it down to 89MHz, a speed supported by most newer video cards.

Back to you Tom...

OK I have rev 1.04 of the p2b. It will take any coppermine cpu.except tulatin.At 133 fsb everything will be in spec except for the AGP. Which will be overclocked.
FSB is set by jumpers,100,103,112,133.Top right hand side of the board.
Memory speed is also changeable in bios.
This board is great, it has ran at 133fsb for over 3 years now. It is now my wifes computer running a p3 450(katmai)@600,Memory at 143 cas2/2/2/8. The dividers everyone speaks of is automatically changed by the board.
Listen to crashman ,he is veery knowledgeable

I aint signing nothing!!!