Disk defragmenter

November 7, 2004 11:59:10 AM

I am on XP. One of my computers is old and has only a 6 GB drive. When I
initially tried to use disk efragmenter there was under 15% free space. I
removed a lot of stuff and how there is 23% free space. Defrag has not been
done for at least 2 years.
Questions -
Any estimate how long disk defragmenter will take?
Does the process require me to be there to respond at various points?
Should I turn off Norton before beginning?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

More about : disk defragmenter

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:25:55 PM

"Any estimate how long disk defragmenter will take?"
Depends on how fragmented the disk is.

"Does the process require me to be there to respond at various points?"
No.

"Should I turn off Norton before beginning?"
I know more than a dozen programs with "Norton" in the name.

Ted Zieglar

"Lillie" <Lillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am on XP. One of my computers is old and has only a 6 GB drive. When I
> initially tried to use disk efragmenter there was under 15% free space. I
> removed a lot of stuff and how there is 23% free space. Defrag has not
> been
> done for at least 2 years.
> Questions -
> Any estimate how long disk defragmenter will take?
> Does the process require me to be there to respond at various points?
> Should I turn off Norton before beginning?
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:07:40 PM

Hi

It's not very easy to tell how long Defrag. will take - especially as you
haven't used it for 2 years.
Once running Defrag should run by itself until it has finished - unless any
problems are found.
Disabling all Norton stuff is a good idea!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Lillie" <Lillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am on XP. One of my computers is old and has only a 6 GB drive. When I
> initially tried to use disk efragmenter there was under 15% free space. I
> removed a lot of stuff and how there is 23% free space. Defrag has not
> been
> done for at least 2 years.
> Questions -
> Any estimate how long disk defragmenter will take?
> Does the process require me to be there to respond at various points?
> Should I turn off Norton before beginning?
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:07:41 PM

Thanks, Will. I appreciate the response.

!