Everything New-No Video

G

Greetings,
I have a good Asus P5A w/ Athlon SlotA 800 working fine. Needed to install it in a new Antec SX600 case w/300w ps,with good Mushkin pc133 128Meg RAm, same HD that worked before,nVidia TNT 16Meg video, no other peripherals. Problem is I can't get video signal on any of three monitors. Tried a new Soyo Sy-K7via with the Athlon 800, same No Video, tried three other working AGP and PCI video cards, all the same. Bought a new slot A cpu 700 to try, same no video, Changed the Power Supply to a working 235 watt, same no video. Also tried other RaM sticks known to work with no improvement. Applied another working HD to test if the HD was the problem, same. Occasionally heard what sounded like BIOS error beeps in a continuous stream of short beeps. I have built and upgraded hundreds of systems and can't figure this one out. Baffled.
Any suggestions? Thanx
Craig

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Does sound like the MB, try placing your components in another MB and see if that works. Also you may want to check your LED's. I had a friend who ran into the same problem and it all boiled down to the fact that he didn't connect the MB LEDs correctly.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Hi Craig, welcome to the message board.

So, you tried two mobos, the Asus P5A that worked before installation and another, the Soyo Sy-K7via that is new and we can also assume it came as tested working?
Also tried two sets of RAM?
Two different Slot A CPU: 800 and 700MHz?
Tried the nVidia TNT 16Meg video and three other working AGP and PCI video cards?
Two different power supplies?
Three monitors?

You said you occasionally heard what sounded like error beeps in a continuous stream of short beeps?
Well, not video problem only:
---------------
<A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/award.htm" target="_new"> Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem
</A>
Explanation: The system is producing constant beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.
Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.
------------
Yes, better for troubleshooting purpose disconnect everything from the motherboard, no LEDs, just video.
One thing is confusing me in your story:
You posted “no video signal”, but why did you mention something about your harddrives?

The video signal, as you know, comes before any drive recognition in form of a logo and white letters on a black screen when POST tests the memory contains on the display adapter and video signals that control the display, and then makes the adapter’s BIOS code a part of the system’s overall BIOS and memory configuration.

In order to isolate your video problem, you can disconnect all the drives, including the FDD from the motherboard.

I knew one case when a harddrive had created a video problem.
A student brought his home computer into his computer class to install something and had connected his machine to a low-resolution monitor. Then booted into normal Windows mode with his home high-resolution settings that caused the death of the monitor. The teacher stopped the student from attempts to destroy the rest of the monitors in the class.