page cannot be displayed error

every time i try to go open my home page i get the page cannot be displayed
error and have to press refresh - then it happens on some other pages as well
- i have run spybot and this hasnt fixed it - i have turned off the popup
blockers and this hasnt helped either. i have windows xp - can anyone give
me any ideas?
--
thankyou

Stupid question to put to you, but have you tried emptying your temporary
Internet files?

Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files (make SURE that Delete All Offline
Content is checked)

Also do you run through either a local proxy server or does your ISP use a
proxy server?

"chillibin" <chillibin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> every time i try to go open my home page i get the page cannot be
> displayed
> error and have to press refresh - then it happens on some other pages as
> well
> - i have run spybot and this hasnt fixed it - i have turned off the popup
> blockers and this hasnt helped either. i have windows xp - can anyone
> give
> me any ideas?
> --
> thankyou

yes i have deleted temp files and offline content - still doesnt do the
trick! im not sure about the proxy server thing - sorry i am new to all
this. i have dsl modem - any other ideas? thanks for your help