Battlefield 3 Video Crash

Barix9

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I'm currently trying to figure out where the issue is with my BF3, whether it be client side, or Rig side.

I meet, or pass all of the RECOMMENDED requirements for the game. However, the game continues to freeze, video only. I can still alt tab, close the game, and everything else as normal. There does not seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason for when it does it, however it does seem the higher the graphics are set at the shorter the spans between freezes. Once they start however, the time between them becomes increasingly short, until the game will crash immediately upon entering a game. Multi, or single.

Currently running a Dell XPS 15

Vid Card - GT525m (1gb)
8gb ram
i7 Quad Core 2.20ghz with turbo boost to 3.10ghz
DX11

etc. I'm not sure if the processor base being so low would effect the game the way it does, if at all.

Not sure If I'm missing anything. I do not usually turn to boards for answers, I usually figure them out myself -.-

Barix9

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Actually now that I look at it the Vid card might not be above recommended, however this shouldn't cause the game to lock and die. My major concern is that I'm seeing similar rigs on youtube and the like with no reported issues, using the 525, so I am not sure where the issue is.

if the vid card ran the game and you got acceptable fps then its likley that its withing recommended spec.
try deleting your current profile, if you can get the game to boot then set everything to minimum...
alt tab out and run gpu-z. set it to log temps and play the game till it crashes.
now check the log... if your gpu is over 85 degrees at the game crash then its likely to be a heat issue.

Barix9

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Sorry, I forgot to add, that i've already run temp logging. When the game is running it never runs hotter than 80, more often than not its 75-76c when the game is on.

Barix9

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.00GHz 53 °C - Turbo Boost to 3.10GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0YR8NN (CPU) 54 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GT 525M (Dell) 45 °C
Hard Drives
733GB Seagate ST9750420AS (SATA) 44 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633J
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

More in depth stats. I also noticed in my Event log I get nearly Identical "Application hang" errors, every time the game crashes

BF3Eventhang-1.png

Gafen

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Definitely not a problem on my end!!

CPU: i5 2500k 4.7GHz
GPU: HD6850 850Mhz
RAM: 8GB DDR3

DxDiag:
http://www.mediafire.com/?rre9flxdb45ia5r [mediafire.com]

Single player:
Happens every time a round ends just before "YOU WON" or Stats screen between rounds.

Multilayer:
Crashes on loading a Level just before loading screen.
If i'm lucky enough to get past that, Crashes just after talking about the battle plan on the first Level in the market. I run through the market, into a building, I just get my sprint ability i sprint down the alleyway i get 80% the way down and it Crashes every time!

What i've tried:
I've Reinstalled Battlefield 3, Reinstalled Origin, Reinstalled/Updated Drivers, Reinstalled Catalyst control centre, Reinstalled direct x, memory scan, hard-drive scan, flash bios, lowered video settings to low, down clocked GPU from stock 790-750, down clocked cpu from 4700- stock 3300

GD_MrSquiggle

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hey guys, I've got a Nvidia GTX570 and I was having all sorts of issues with video card freeze, crash to desktop with the game still running but locked up, black screen and white screen. All in BF2BC and BF3 and no other games. Then I was getting a consistent crash to black screen in the BF3 campaign on the guillotine map load.

I tried everything I could think of to fix it. Latest drivers, reduced card performance settings, disabling of the Realtech sound devices , update punkbuster, update the game, etc. etc. etc. Nothing worked. Then...... I updated the video card bios and now everything works fine and no issues at all. 97% GPU utilization and 57 deg C on the card. Everything runs on the high settings no crash no lag no artifacts. I can run GPUZ also with no conflicts.

Try it maybe its just what you need to fix yours.

Barix9

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Not sure I know how to do that?

GD_MrSquiggle

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Go to your card manufacturers web site and look for a tool to flash the bios. Download the tool and the later bios version. Run the tool and flash the bios you downloaded to the card. Pretty simple really.

ramin-saljoghi

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
i got a hp dv6 6190 with AMD radeon graphic (TM) 6770 HD
system config is
cpu=core i7 2.2 GHz
ram=8GB
window's 64 bit

dxdiag
Bios=insydeH2O version 03.60.48f.1A

when i run the game display will blank 7-8 time's then scen will change to a window... and then nothing hapend(no crash)
but if i use alt+tab and move betwen page's... and w8 (holding alt) on game ...it working..but in window screen ( abit smaller than full screen).....
what shuild i do!?

1stCEB

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I run a GTX 460M 1.5G on my M17X Alienware (3 mo old) and keep having the freeze/crash exactly as stated here;

I meet, or pass all of the RECOMMENDED requirements for the game. However, the game continues to freeze, video only. I can still alt tab, close the game, and everything else as normal. There does not seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason for when it does it, however it does seem the higher the graphics are set at the shorter the spans between freezes. Once they start however, the time between them becomes increasingly short, until the game will crash immediately upon entering a game.

I can play a few boards before the crashes start, shut the computer off and come back in a little while and play some more. To me, this would suggest a temp issue, which I will test tonight based on other posts here, but every now and then I will get a directx error, and most recently, memory usage errors telling me to be sure I'm running at least a 512 gfx card...?

I'm not as experienced when it comes to OCing and upping the voltage in the BIOS, but I have downloaded and updated everything. I'm not comfortable with removing all the drivers, as I paid too much to end up screwing something up. Only thing I haven't tried, that I've read about, is increasing the virtual memory. Easy enough.

I posted this to the Dell community:

I've updated everything, and even downloaded an extra Nvidia driver tool to OC the card. I've read threads
regarding the desktop GTX 460 and OCing the voltage or something? Either way, I'm having this same issue with no workable fix yet. I've started reducing the graphics settings (resolution, shadow, antiasliasing) and trying to figure out
if there is a sweet spot. Even tried windowed mode. But it seems with all that I just keep freezing regardless of in game settings (low-ultra). Tried to download the beta driver to roll it back, but the 460M isn't on the "nv_disp" file and it won't load, and I don't want to eff with file. (I read on another forum from last year or earlier this year that you could open the file in say Notepad and add our card to the list as a possible work around, but I'm not that savy).

Response I got was obvious and unhelpful.

Best part is I'm not the only person having this issue, and it seems that cards across the board are experiencing it. I just haven’t seen much on mine specifically. The game is sweet enough that I will stick it out till the fixes come through.

hi,
what settings are you trying to run the game at? what FPS are you getting? definitely check the temps out and post back. Make sure you got the recommended driver (285.62). When I first tried the game it crashed a whole lot, updated to the recommended driver, finished the SP yesterday. It still would hang up on load screens sometimes, but no crashes.

1stCEB

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

FPS in game on med was 30-40 res is 1680 x 1050 @ 40Hrz, temps stayed between 57* - 63*. Only thing that spiked during game play was GPU load wich spiked to high 90% and stayed till crash.

Core, Memory, Shader, Temp [°C], Fan (%), GPU Load [%] , Memory Controller [%] , Video Engine [%] , Memory(Dedicated), Memory(Dyn)
675.0, 625.0, 1350.0, 63.0, 100, 98, 30, 0, 613, 159

Ok, I'm confused why are you running it at 40hz? I haven't seen any monitors that require that refresh rate...

GPU load spiking is a natural thing while you're running a graphics intensive app. You say 57-63, that's pretty good, is that GPU only? what about cpu?

and that last line is the last one saved from the log, I assume? if it crashed in that state I don't see anything wrong, the temp is acceptable for GPU.

1stCEB

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
the res was set to that simply because I was reducing graphics in an atempt to get better FPS and stop the crashes. I just left it while I was gathering the info cause I figured why would it really matter... If its going to crash, it's going to crash.

In the Dell thread, another peson just called Alienware and they said 460M was not supported in the beta driver and there is no eta on an update...

it's strange that 460 isn't supported and gives you trouble because my 485 works just fine.

Reason I bring up the 40hz as odd, most monitors don't work at that refresh rate and I'm not sure how well you can force a GPU to output to that setting. Set it to refreshrate whatever is your screen set to normally in windows ( most laptops are 60hz or 59hz) if you're lowering res, you want to just lower res, not refresh rates.

so go down to 1280x720@60hz and see what that does for you.

1stCEB

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I don't know why I set it to 40 and not 60. Must have just been frustrated and left it there. :) You would think that just adding the next sequence + 460M wouldn't be that difficult...

I will try the lower res, though it pains me knowing how much I spent on this computer for gaming purposes.

Thanks for the help!