ASUS A7A266 and DDR

G

I'm having difficulty getting two 256 MB PC2100 DDR RAM DIMMs to work on an ASUS A7A266 motherboard (Rev. 1.03 board, BIOS 1007). I am running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with SP 2. I originally had two 128 MB 133 MHz SDRAM DIMMs and everything worked fine. Ever since I replaced the SDRAMM with the two DDR DIMMS, the computer has been unstable with unexpected failures. I'm using Crucial RAM (which is Micron) that was recommended for the
motherboard. I replaced the power supply with an Antec PP-403X 400 W power supply. I switched the jumper next to AGP Slot to 2.6V. The only thing I was able to do to get a stable system again was to use only one of the DDR
DIMMs.
After going through this with Crucial, they recommended that Windows' pointers might have gotten messed up with the RAM upgrade from 256 MB to 512 MB. They suggested reinstalling the OS. I know that Win95/98/ME might have
issues with more than 512 MB of RAM, but I know that WinNT and Win2k don't. At work, I've increased RAM in WinNT/2k machines with no problem. Is there any merit in Crucial's suggestion?
Crucial in an e-mail reply also suggested the following:
... "on the Asus motherboards there are a few settings in the BIOS that we usually adjust.
CAS is set to 2, CAS to RAS is set to 2, and the Precharge is set to 2. Additionally, if the system has DDR Voltage, we set that to 2.5V."
What tricks have others done to get two sticks of DDR to work reliably
over time? Any help would be appreciated.
John

G

I'm having the same exact problem. It just locks solid and I have to Reset the machine. And it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I could be doing anything and I dies. Did you ever find a solution to this Wonderful problem???

Ed

AMD Athlon 1533MHz OC'ed & ASUS A7A266

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the same problem, but the jumper by the AGP resolved it for me at the time -- this was with an AMD 1.3 Ghz T-Bird. However, I've just upgraded to an AMD XP 1900+ and I get Windows protection faults (can't even boot into Windows). If I reduce the Process to 1200Mhz and PCI is set to 100 my system works -- slowly of course. I have both Crucial 256MB modules too. It is NOT an OS issue, it is definitely a problem with the ASUS board which they seem unwilling to fix. WAY TOO MANY people that have report this problem for it to be ignored.

Rob.

Rob.

G

Hey man, I called ASUS. They told me about a jumper that is right next to the agp slot. The guy said that its not even in the manual. He told me that it controls the voltage for the DDR RAM. I moved it from 1-2 to 2-3 and it works great now!!! No more lock ups. I also told the guy that they should at the least update the website, or even put it in the FAQ's. One thing I was happy about was that I only had to wait 5mins on hold to talk to an actual person that spoke english! Still not happy about there being no mention in the manual or on the website!

Ed

AMD Athlon 1533MHz OC'ed & ASUS A7A266