AthlonXP mobo

G

Is there a motherboard availible to buy that supports AthlonXP's new features? What I'm looking for is the feature that detects critical temperature in the processor and shuts down the system. Prefferably with the kt266a-chipset...

G

I saw an article in THG about the AthlonXP diode... It doesn't work. They even made a video showing the result when they pulled the heat sink. P4 worked, slowed then froze, but CPU was fine.... AthyXP => smoked it big time!

I'm on an ABit KG7-Raid, it supports AthyXP, but it uses the AMD761, not the KT266A. I think MSI is one of the only ones with a KT266A out right now. (I'm not a MSI fan, but some folks are saying they're pretty good)

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
have a look at amd's reccomended mobos:
http://www.amd.com/Athlon/mbl/index/1,2217,,00.html

as well as that MSI all i can see is BioStar's. I have a suspicion more boards will be XP compatable, at least with BIOS updates (wether you can use the cpu in order to get the bios update in the first place i dont know...). Also remember AMD wont put boards up there that are 100% compatable with XP but insist on showing actual mhz of the chip, they only allow it so show the "1500+"/"1800+" etc.

Yossarian lives

G

The link thingy didn't work.... :/

ABit just added a FAQ about the KG7 explaining that it will support AthlonXP. They just put out a bios to get the automatic settings of the clocks correct. They went on to explain that the bios update wasn't necessary for the XP to run and show a little table where to set the clocks for the various XP models if the BIOS is pre-5E.

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
sh1t i deleted my post just as those replies came in, i think i made a mistake.

also for XP add the gigabyte GA-7DX (the revision 4.3, not 4.0) which has fantastic features for the price, but its AMD761 chipset. i'm deciding between that and the GA-7VTXH.

it looks a bit like the temp sensor is fairly useless, but since THWG says it uses 20% less power, i'd guess that with the same fan it would run as much as 20% cooler maybe.

Yossarian lives

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
link didnt work? ummm just go through amd.com and find the reccommended mobos bit, its in a box at the bottom if i remember right.

nb for that GA-7VTX, gigabyte says "Auto speed down and alarm when CPU overheat or fan failure (OS independent & driverless)" - no idea if it works or not.

Yossarian lives<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 10/19/01 11:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I saw an article in THG about the AthlonXP diode... It doesn't work.

Yes, it DOES work, just not near fast enough. It takes readings at around one every second, not near fast enough for a processor that fries in under one second. It is meant more so for monitoring, not as much for protection.

Oh, and sorry for nitpicking, but the processor shown in that video was an Athlon MP, not an Athlon XP. Makes relatively no difference, just letting you know.

:smile:

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

Sorry to tell you but the athlon still doesn't have an effective thermal diode. If you're that worried about it, I would go with a slower version of the p4 and a cheaper mobo, such as the shuttle av40. Slightly less performance, but full protection against heatsink fan failure. Fry's had this combo last weekend for only $199.

G

In response to the thermal diode failure of amd:
I will give intel credit for providing a very effective heat-protection. (perhaps thats part why there chips are so expensive)
But before we write of the athlons lets just examine what we saw in that video, we saw the ENTIRE heatsink comming off, now how offen does that happen?
Now the realistic scenario (IMHO) would be the fan failing, now if that happens heat will surly build up fast, but i think that the processor would have time to close down without being damaged (not sure enought to test it on my own athlon, but just to be fair)