Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex White

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I've sought some help from a few of my friends first, they have no idea, so now I've arrived here.

My computer will run 3D games fine, but after 15-30 minutes of play my monitors (I'm using two) will turn random solid-ish colors. I've seen anything from green stripes to solid white, or even just black. Sometimes, the sound will loop, but I always have to reset my computer to get it working again.

The only 3D PC games that doesn't crash it (that I've found) is: World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Minecraft, Bastion and Just Cause 2.
Games that do include: Dungeon Defenders, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Magicka, Bulletstorm, and many, many more. Just about every 3D game where you control an avatar that's come out in the last 5 years is a problem, it seems.

I have updated my graphics card drivers recently, and I don't think it's an overheating problem, because I have two fans and my house is usually 50 degrees anyway, the computer never feels hot in the slightest.

I don't know if I could upload it here, but I've gone ahead and uploaded my msinfo32 to mediafire.
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?167p7up6hn2m55g

Solution
Are the GPU's overclocked? If so, set them at default. Your OC may be unstable. Also, the video corruptions you described can be related to failing video ram on the GPU. If this is the case, only a new vid card will fix it.

Alex White

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
(xpost from PC Gaming)I've sought some help from a few of my friends first, they have no idea, so now I've arrived here.

My computer will run 3D games fine, but after 15-30 minutes of play my monitors (I'm using two) will turn random solid-ish colors. I've seen anything from green stripes to solid white, or even just black. Sometimes, the sound will loop, but I always have to reset my computer to get it working again.

The only 3D PC games that doesn't crash it (that I've found) is: World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Minecraft, Bastion and Just Cause 2.
Games that do include: Dungeon Defenders, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Magicka, Bulletstorm, and many, many more. Just about every 3D game where you control an avatar that's come out in the last 5 years is a problem, it seems.

I have updated my graphics card drivers recently, and I don't think it's an overheating problem, because I have two fans and my house is usually 50 degrees anyway, the computer never feels hot in the slightest.

I don't know if I could upload it here, but I've gone ahead and uploaded my msinfo32 to mediafire.
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?167p7up6hn2m55g

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
So it locks up.
First go to start type msconfig enter

Services tab then tick hide ms services. Click disable all then just tick the services related to your gpu.
With startup items do the same disable all then just tick the ones related to your gpu.

Press apply reboot.
Then run the game and check your Gpus temp while doing like above suggested

Alex White

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I disabled all those services, restarted, then watched the temps while I played. It was at about 30C before I launched the game, 38C in the menu, and it varied between 39 and 43C in game. It didn't spike when it crashed, it was at 41C.

Alex White

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks for the response. Sadly, that was what I expected, and consider it a worst case scenario :p.

I guess it is the video card, and I plan on building a new computer next month, so I guess I'll wait

Status
Not open for further replies.