Sign in with
Your question

What do we have behind door number 1?!

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2001 9:13:02 PM

Ill keep this short and simple.
For a T-Bird 1.2 and a system mainly only for gamming,which board would be best of these two:

Ecs K7s5a
or
Msi Ms-6380 K7t266
????????

Thanks

More about : door number

October 19, 2001 9:17:44 PM

Overall, the K7S5A. If you want to overclock, stay away from it.

(There are rumors that a new, overclocking BIOS will be available soon, but I don't have any verification of that.)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 19, 2001 11:17:22 PM

The K7S5A. If you want to overclock, use the unofficial overclocking bios or a software program like SoftFSB or CPUCool. (however, you are only allowed to alter the FSB, not the multiplier when using these programs).

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2001 11:28:22 PM

Thanks guys,Ecs it is.
October 20, 2001 2:14:03 AM

Or you might think about getting the Leadtek WinFast 7350KDA, it uses the same SiS735 chipset as the ECS, plus it has better performance and has Overclocking features.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
October 20, 2001 3:48:13 AM

You might check out the Shuttle AK-31A. It's got the new KT266A chipset, it only costs $89 at Newegg, and it has a lot of overclocking options. Performance-wise, it will be better than either of the motherboards you listed.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2001 5:55:48 AM

I wouldn't be the beta tester for a new motherboard using a new chipset from a notoriously problematic company (VIA) like the last guy suggested. The K7S5A looks very good right now.

Back to you Tom...
October 20, 2001 7:50:24 AM

The last guy, I mean Crashman, will tell you to avoid VIA at all costs due to his experiences with them. I can only speak from my experience, but so far I haven't had any problem with VIA chipsets. I'm on my third VIA motherboard now. As far as I know, the KT266 didn't have any issues, it's just a mediocre performer. The KT266A is more of an update with much improved performance than a brand new chipset, so you wouldn't quite be beta testing it. But the SiS735 chipset is also pretty good, so you can't really go wrong by going with the ECS board.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2001 8:08:45 AM

I'm in the same boat, I have a AMD 1.333 and my Mobo-a7m 266 is giving me probs.
The mouse has this annoying jitter, not matter what I do.
I totally lost faith in via, I am not impressed, although I have heard good things about the kt266a chipset, just I always seem to have problems with their chipset, especially when I use my nvidia cards.

I am looking for a board, the ECS, sounds good is cheap but is it really a high end board?
Not really.....
October 20, 2001 4:16:11 PM

I saw your other posts about your jittery mouse problem. I don't really know what's causing it. Sounds like your problem is due more to a bad motherboard than any inherent problem with the chipset. I had an A7M266 board until last week and didn't have any problems with it. And you can't necessarily blame VIA, since the chipset on that board is a combo of AMD and VIA. The ECS board isn't necessarily the "high end," but it performs better than the AMD760 and the other DDR chipsets other than the KT266A and the upcoming nForce.

!