slow responding context menu/DHCP client

Hi,

I have a user who has documents on his desktop that when you
right-click on them, it takes about 1 minute for the menu to open. I
ran the System Configuration Utility and after much troubleshooting
narrowed down the service that is causing the slow down to the DHCP
client. Does anyone know why the DHCP client would cause this
behavior and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Colleen

Type regedit in Start Run then backup (File - Export) then delete all non MS context menu extensions, (people normally want to argue here with me that program x can't possibly cause it and refuse - normally they only have 3 non MS so 1/3 chance). The example here is for folders as you don't say what files. But files inheirit from All File System Objects as well then * (all files) then the extension usually. However they can be in over 30 places most not used by most programs.

There is a vague possibility of a corrupt file (type sfc /scannow in Start Run to fix windows not application files).

So post the exports of those keys.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If you can't work out what an entry is look up it's number here
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\<long number>\\InprocServer32

EG
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000105-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\InprocServer32

This says the file that is providing the program code.

Then delete the non MS one's.

Try right clicking a drive now. No rebooting needed.

http://www.uscricket.com