standby

Is there anyway I can go into sandby or hibernation mode without signging off
of AIM or shutting down windows?
6 answers Last reply
More about standby

    why? what is the point? that's kind of like saying, I want to turn off my
    car, but I want to keep driving...

    first off i have a room mate that doesnt have a computer so i want to be able
    to have some security by turning on the password prompt, and I want to be
    able to stay connect online while im away during the way

    "<©¿©>" wrote:

    > why? what is the point? that's kind of like saying, I want to turn off my
    > car, but I want to keep driving...

    you are between a rock and a hard place...

    I will assume that your computer is password protected...

    right click someplace on your desktop, go to the "Screen Saver" tab, select
    your favorite screen saver and place the check in the "On resume, password
    protect", then click OK

    there is a problem with this, you will have to set a time short enough to
    give you protection, but if you sit a think a little bit, you will have to
    keep typing your password.

    is there a way that just turns off the monitor without turning off windows?
    and if so can that be password protected?

    In the same place that you put the check mark for password, there is a
    button on the lower right hand corner, set the time there to turn off the
    monitor after the same amount of time as you had set for your screen saver
    to come on.

    A note, set to never turn off the hard drive...it takes a hell of a long
    time for the computer to come up after a sleep. If it is a laptop, you can
    have two different settings, one forplugged in and one for under battery
    power. set the plugged in time for never and the battery time to the same
    time as all the rest of the power off events.

    Yeah it's the power button on the screensaver tab under display properties
    if your monitor isn't 15 years old. Just change the setting from never to
    turn off monitor after ** minutes. But it should be set like that by
    default if your monitor supports it.

    "molly" <molly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > is there a way that just turns off the monitor without turning off
    > windows?
    > and if so can that be password protected?

Hibernation Microsoft Windows XP