folder not responding

when i open my hard drive, it opens correctly, but when i click on the
documents and settings folder or the program files folder, it freezes for
about 10 seconds. this does not happen to the other folders on the drive.
how can i resolve this?? thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about folder responding

    I would run disk defragmentor to clean up fragmentation that affects
    directory searches

    "keisuke" wrote:

    > when i open my hard drive, it opens correctly, but when i click on the
    > documents and settings folder or the program files folder, it freezes for
    > about 10 seconds. this does not happen to the other folders on the drive.
    > how can i resolve this?? thanks

    Hello

    I had a similar problem that was caused by a large .zip file in the root
    folder. It was solved by putting it in a sub-folder.

    "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when i open my hard drive, it opens correctly, but when i click on the
    > documents and settings folder or the program files folder, it freezes for
    > about 10 seconds. this does not happen to the other folders on the drive.
    > how can i resolve this?? thanks

    well i ran disk defragmenter, and it wasn't resolved. nor did i find any zip
    files either...any other ideas please?

    "WRH" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I had a similar problem that was caused by a large .zip file in the root
    > folder. It was solved by putting it in a sub-folder.
    >

    > "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when i open my hard drive, it opens correctly, but when i click on the
    > > documents and settings folder or the program files folder, it freezes for
    > > about 10 seconds. this does not happen to the other folders on the drive.
    > > how can i resolve this?? thanks

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP