Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Free games?

Last response: in Video Games
October 29, 2011 11:00:06 AM

Anyone know websites with free games? It needs to be legal.

Trials and demos are acceptable too but I am searching for high quality/indie games that are free but with the option for donations etc.

Has anyone had good luck with Dosbox or a program similar to it? I have never tried it...I heard it was confusing but I also have heard a lot of old school games are available free for download now.

For those with the funds: Check out the steam holiday (halloween) sale. I see quite a few awesome games for pretty cheap.

Thanks,

- Douglas Rochford

More about : free games

October 31, 2011 4:29:13 PM

Steam has several play for free games. Team Fortress just went free I believe. Check out Alien Swarm on Steam. It's fun.
Score
Related resources
October 31, 2011 4:38:13 PM

League of Legends is FTP
Score
November 1, 2011 1:13:36 AM

nice comments. ive played them all so far, got TF2 with the orange box back in the day. I heard league of legends was kiddy?
Score
November 1, 2011 1:15:47 AM

TF2 is still great fun.
Score
November 1, 2011 6:19:37 AM

Hey hi, I am a newbie to this forum. Have witnessed some really nice and very interesting threads here, was actually about to post my comment there but then thought why not to introduce myself first.
Hope will have a nice time here!
Score
November 1, 2011 10:11:59 AM

If you are interested in oldies, GOG.com (Good Old Games) has some real classics, many of which are free. Even the paid ones are really cheap and good value for money.
Score
November 1, 2011 12:26:06 PM

Herr_Koos said:
If you are interested in oldies, GOG.com (Good Old Games) has some real classics, many of which are free. Even the paid ones are really cheap and good value for money.

+1
Score

Best solution

November 1, 2011 12:31:37 PM

Doug Rochford said:

Has anyone had good luck with Dosbox or a program similar to it? I have never tried it...I heard it was confusing but I also have heard a lot of old school games are available free for download now.

Absolutely. DOSBox is fantastic, it works really well. With a bit of tinkering you can get just about any DOS era game to run flawlessly on a modern PC. It's not hard to use, either. There are plenty of settings you can play with, but the majority of games will run just fine with the default options.
November 1, 2011 12:44:45 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Absolutely. DOSBox is fantastic, it works really well. With a bit of tinkering you can get just about any DOS era game to run flawlessly on a modern PC. It's not hard to use, either. There are plenty of settings you can play with, but the majority of games will run just fine with the default options.

Dosbox is great; I get to play all the nostalgic stuff I grew up playing
Score
November 1, 2011 2:14:05 PM

Keep an eye out for humble bundles.
Every few months they do a "pay as much as you want" program for indie games.
They had some awesome games in the past (braid, gish, world of goo, etc)
Score
November 1, 2011 3:03:54 PM

Herr_Koos said:

Agreed. DOSBox is really good.
I still play many DOS-based games. They're my BF3! :lol: 
Score
November 4, 2011 9:10:08 AM

Best answer selected by Doug Rochford.
Score
November 4, 2011 9:14:31 AM

haha you guys are great. this forum is fantastic. Google knows about this thread. I will have to check out Need for Speed world and see what I can do about DOSBOX. The thing is, is it legal to download the games for dosbox? I know some publishers have put the games out for free now.... But when I was little, I was playing like Raptor: Call of the Shadows..... Duke Nukem 3D [hardcore! I know.] , and commander keen. Are these games legal to download and play for free...especially because we had purchased them in the past?

If anyone wants to hit me up on steam thats cool. PM me and ill tell you my steam name. I have been playing left for dead. Left for Dead 2 is a great game.

- dougrochford
Score
!