something very wrong...

G

I have an Eagle3D nVidia MX 400 32MB AGP card, Epox 8k7A+ motherboard, 256 DDR RAM and 1.33GHz Athlon. Whenever I played graphics-intensive games like Mario 64, House of the Dead 2, Virtual Cop 2 etc, the games just freezed. I dunno why. Tried formatting the harddisk and reinstalling the Win98 SE and the drivers, but the problem still persists. Help me please....I cannot stand this way of computer usage that now I could even press the Ctrl, Alt, Del buttons in the dark!!!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try a better power supply, at least 350 W, the high end graphics cards need a lot of power, and so does a athlon running at 1.33 GHz especially when doing heavy duty processing!

before getting a power supply, try your Athlon at sub G speed, say 950 MHz and try the games, if the occurance of these hangups is less frequent, hen you definitely have a power crunch, time for a better PS!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

My power supply is 350W. Hmm...I was wondering..could it be the high temperature that is causing the hangings?

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Yes, that is a distinct possibility. Check your temperatures using something like Motherboard Monitor.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

Do you have the new drivers from Nvidia or the product drivers installed? Try the Nvidia drivers if you don't have. Also you can try to lower your clockspeed and see if the higher clockspeed is causing the freezes due to high temps

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, check the temperatures first. try these things before spending on anything:

<b>1.</b> Check the temperature, if it is below or around 50 at full load, then its okay.

<b>2.</b> Reduce the CPU speed, FSB first, if required the multiplier too. If things improve, you are having problems due to high speed, which happen due to a number of factors - memory not being able to handle this high speed, PS not being able to deliver enough current, CPU getting too hot,

<b>3.</b> Check the nVidia and other drivers, install the latest drivers and their patches if any.

<b>4.</b> check your windows install, you may require to reinstall windows. maybe some drivers have a conflict.

<b>5.</b> Since you already have a 350W PS thats no worry, continuously monitor the voltages on load, you could opt to keep logs of PC Health data that would help you diagnose the problem. The PS might not be delivering enough current on load leading to a dip in voltage. In this case, you would need to increase the volatge a bit, or adjust the current liiting potentiometer in the PS, yoou have to consult its manual or get a technician.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you install AMD miniport driver as well as VIA 4-in-1 driver (without AGP driver)?
What is your CPU's core voltage?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I just caught this:

Whenever I played graphics-intensive games like Mario 64, House of the Dead 2, Virtual Cop 2
Do you guys realize he is emulating these, if he is playing them on a computer?! None of those games were ported to the PC.

Do you actually expect it to run stable?!

My god, how did I miss that.

G

I've checked. The core voltage is 1.83V and the agp voltage is 1.58V. the cpu temp is abt 53 degress and the system temp abt 40 degrees. As for the multiplier, I think it is at its lowest as all the switches are off. I have installed the latest nVidia drivers(21.83).

The end is the beginning, is the end? is the beginning! is the end; is the......

G

I have another question though: you mentioned about the 4 in 1 VIA drivers. I had only these: the miniport driver, via bus master pci ide driver, ac'97 audio driver, usb driver and highpoint drivers. I didn't install the last 3 though. Are they a must? Is there any sequence I need to follow?
By the way, these graphics games I played are not emulators. They are really games that come in CDs. One thing I forgot to mention is that the system freezes too when I run the 3DSysMark 2001. I think it freezed at the dragon game. Or else it hanged at the part where there is a lot of this person from matrix shooting at each other.

The end is the beginning, is the end? is the beginning! is the end; is the......

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
How exactly then are you running these games, games that have never been and never shall be ported to the computer, on your PC?

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
its probably a problem with your emulator, what is it, bleem? does it happen with normal PC games like say quake or whatever?

Yossarian lives