iBook Airport multiple WEP keys : cannot authenticate

I'm trying to get an Apple iBook G4 with built-in Airport wireless
capability to join an existing wireless network:

Linksys WAP11
-- "access point" operation mode
-- "shared key" authentication" using four WEP keys
-- the second of the WEP keys is the "Tx Key" (64 bit)
-- "infrastructure" mode

The iBook network configuration assistant recognizes and includes the SSID
of the existing network in its dropdown list; I select the SSID, and then am
prompted for a password. I don't know what password to enter since the
network is using shared key authentication. I've tried the 2nd WEP key but
that doesn't work: incorrect password error message. What should the
password be?

Does Airport work with WEP encryption?

Thanks
Timo

Timo <timo@anonymous.biz> wrote:

> Does Airport work with WEP encryption?

Yes, but not with rolling keys. Delete all but the first key on the
access point.

Is the "password" requested by Airport the first WEP key on the access
point? And will deleting the 2nd-4th keys require a reconfig of existing
devices?
Thanks for the help.
Timo

"Timo" <timo@anonymous.biz> wrote in message
> Is the "password" requested by Airport the first WEP key on the
access
> point? And will deleting the 2nd-4th keys require a reconfig of
existing
> devices?
> Thanks for the help.
> Timo
>
> "Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Timo <timo@anonymous.biz> wrote:
> >
> > > Does Airport work with WEP encryption?
> >
> > Yes, but not with rolling keys. Delete all but the first key on
the
> > access point.

The more secure method is open instead of shared key authentication
using wep.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got to read up on wifi.

The magic bullet for getting the iBook to work with my Linksys WAP11 turned
out to be this: use the first WEP key as the Airport "password" as was
suggested to me in this forum ... but when entering the key into the Airport
prompt, you must precede it with a dollar sign: "$" :

e.g. $CC45D29756

Uppercase may also be required for hex "digits" A to F.

I used a static IP address even though the setup wizard said at one point
that DHCP was necessary.
Timo