lobster

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

I'm having troubles running chkdsk. If I do it in windows it says that it
needs exclusive access and do I want to run it on re-boot. On reboot it says
cannot open volume for direct access.

I've tried doing chkdsk /f and chkdsk /c from cmd and it lists loads of
faults but can't fix them because it's in read-only mode.

I've read similar problems and it mentions zone alarm. I used to run zone
alarm but I'm now on Norton.

Any ideas?

""Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access" Error Message When Chkdsk Runs at
Startup"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439
--
Ted Zieglar

"Lobster" <Lobster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having troubles running chkdsk. If I do it in windows it says that it
> needs exclusive access and do I want to run it on re-boot. On reboot it
says
> cannot open volume for direct access.
>
> I've tried doing chkdsk /f and chkdsk /c from cmd and it lists loads of
> faults but can't fix them because it's in read-only mode.
>
> I've read similar problems and it mentions zone alarm. I used to run zone
> alarm but I'm now on Norton.
>
> Any ideas?

lobster

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

Thanks for the reply but I'm already running service pack two. As far as I
know it's running okay.

My c drive is NTFS if that makes any difference