system32hal.dll missing or corrupt

machine: HP pavillions running XP home
problem: all of a sudden (no really, I had just turned it off to have
lunch) it won't boot. I see the HP logo and the <esc> to change boot /
F8 to "Safe Mode". After it dissapears, instead of botting up to
windows it gives me an error message stating

<windows root> system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt
reinstall file

I have the XP restore disk. what's the process to reload the dll file.

I can <esc> to get to "load from disk drive". will it allow me to just
reload the dll I need (I'm a beginer, if you haven't guessed).

I also, of course have the 3 disks from HP for their system restore,
but obviously I don't want to loose all the data I've entered since my
last save.

I'm scared shitless to try this on my own, just a little help is all I
need.
when I "boot from the disk drive" do I have the XP disk in and will it
allow me to just "restore" or pick and choose the right dll
or.........

Thanks
Rocky
6 answers Last reply
More about system32hal missing corrupt

    HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    information.

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Rocky A" wrote:

    | machine: HP pavillions running XP home
    | problem: all of a sudden (no really, I had just turned it off to have
    | lunch) it won't boot. I see the HP logo and the <esc> to change boot /
    | F8 to "Safe Mode". After it dissapears, instead of botting up to
    | windows it gives me an error message stating
    |
    | <windows root> system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt
    | reinstall file
    |
    | I have the XP restore disk. what's the process to reload the dll file.
    |
    | I can <esc> to get to "load from disk drive". will it allow me to just
    | reload the dll I need (I'm a beginer, if you haven't guessed).
    |
    | I also, of course have the 3 disks from HP for their system restore,
    | but obviously I don't want to loose all the data I've entered since my
    | last save.
    |
    | I'm scared to try this on my own, just a little help is all I
    | need.
    | when I "boot from the disk drive" do I have the XP disk in and will it
    | allow me to just "restore" or pick and choose the right dll
    | or.........
    |
    | Thanks
    | Rocky

    I have the same problem on a Dell Dimension 8400, Attempts to recover have
    all been unsuccessful. When I try to get to winddows pro xp setup from the
    installation CD, the screen freezes when the 3 choices are 1) press enter 2)
    press r 3) press f3 (none of the 3 options work). I also checked the hard
    drive diagnostics (using f12 at bootup) and get the message "fail return
    code: 7". Dell assumes the whole problem to be a bad hard drive. Is there any
    possibility that they are mistaken and that there is a software fix?
    Replacing the hard drive, reinstalling all programs, and losing prior data is
    my other option.
    Ron D

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    > not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    > space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    > information.
    >
    > Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    > the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    > recovery operation.
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Rocky A" wrote:
    >
    > | machine: HP pavillions running XP home
    > | problem: all of a sudden (no really, I had just turned it off to have
    > | lunch) it won't boot. I see the HP logo and the <esc> to change boot /
    > | F8 to "Safe Mode". After it dissapears, instead of botting up to
    > | windows it gives me an error message stating
    > |
    > | <windows root> system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt
    > | reinstall file
    > |
    > | I have the XP restore disk. what's the process to reload the dll file.
    > |
    > | I can <esc> to get to "load from disk drive". will it allow me to just
    > | reload the dll I need (I'm a beginer, if you haven't guessed).
    > |
    > | I also, of course have the 3 disks from HP for their system restore,
    > | but obviously I don't want to loose all the data I've entered since my
    > | last save.
    > |
    > | I'm scared to try this on my own, just a little help is all I
    > | need.
    > | when I "boot from the disk drive" do I have the XP disk in and will it
    > | allow me to just "restore" or pick and choose the right dll
    > | or.........
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > | Rocky

    Ron, for what it's worth I have noticed that if I add or subtract a
    Primary Partition I have to reflect that change in the
    boot.ini file or I will get the Hal.dll error. Since I do that often ( I
    have eight linux distros along with a dual boot of XP/ME )
    I can get to the boot.ini file from either a Linux OS or Me. But for
    those who don't share my enthusiasm for multiple OS's
    getting to the boot.ini file can be accomplished by using the Recovery
    Console. But again you need a WinXP CD for that.

    Ron D wrote:
    > I have the same problem on a Dell Dimension 8400, Attempts to recover have
    > all been unsuccessful. When I try to get to winddows pro xp setup from the
    > installation CD, the screen freezes when the 3 choices are 1) press enter 2)
    > press r 3) press f3 (none of the 3 options work). I also checked the hard
    > drive diagnostics (using f12 at bootup) and get the message "fail return
    > code: 7". Dell assumes the whole problem to be a bad hard drive. Is there any
    > possibility that they are mistaken and that there is a software fix?
    > Replacing the hard drive, reinstalling all programs, and losing prior data is
    > my other option.
    > Ron D
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >

    >>HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    >>not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    >>space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    >>information.
    >>
    >>Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    >>the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    >>recovery operation.
    >>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en
    >>
    >>--
    >>Carey Frisch
    >>Microsoft MVP
    >>Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>
    >>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    >>"Rocky A" wrote:
    >>
    >>| machine: HP pavillions running XP home
    >>| problem: all of a sudden (no really, I had just turned it off to have
    >>| lunch) it won't boot. I see the HP logo and the <esc> to change boot /
    >>| F8 to "Safe Mode". After it dissapears, instead of botting up to
    >>| windows it gives me an error message stating
    >>|
    >>| <windows root> system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt
    >>| reinstall file
    >>|
    >>| I have the XP restore disk. what's the process to reload the dll file.
    >>|
    >>| I can <esc> to get to "load from disk drive". will it allow me to just
    >>| reload the dll I need (I'm a beginer, if you haven't guessed).
    >>|
    >>| I also, of course have the 3 disks from HP for their system restore,
    >>| but obviously I don't want to loose all the data I've entered since my
    >>| last save.
    >>|
    >>| I'm scared to try this on my own, just a little help is all I
    >>| need.
    >>| when I "boot from the disk drive" do I have the XP disk in and will it
    >>| allow me to just "restore" or pick and choose the right dll
    >>| or.........
    >>|
    >>| Thanks
    >>| Rocky

    Ran into the "missing hal.dll" error on a couple computers. Found that
    hal.dll is a file that isn't actually needed. Followed the path
    specified by the "missing file" report and created an empty file at that
    location and labeled it "hal.dll"....problem solved... You might wasnt
    to give this a try...

    HTH,
    Fred

    Thanks for the post. The hard disk failed read diagnostics and was finally
    replaced (so far without further problems. Apparently hal.dll can be caused
    by multiple problems.
    Ron D

    "Fred" wrote:

    > Ron D wrote:
    > > I have the same problem on a Dell Dimension 8400, Attempts to recover have
    > > all been unsuccessful. When I try to get to winddows pro xp setup from the
    > > installation CD, the screen freezes when the 3 choices are 1) press enter 2)
    > > press r 3) press f3 (none of the 3 options work). I also checked the hard
    > > drive diagnostics (using f12 at bootup) and get the message "fail return
    > > code: 7". Dell assumes the whole problem to be a bad hard drive. Is there any
    > > possibility that they are mistaken and that there is a software fix?
    > > Replacing the hard drive, reinstalling all programs, and losing prior data is
    > > my other option.
    > > Ron D
    > >
    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >

    > >>HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    > >>not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    > >>space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    > >>information.
    > >>
    > >>Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    > >>the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    > >>recovery operation.
    > >>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en〈=en
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Carey Frisch
    > >>Microsoft MVP
    > >>Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >>
    > >>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > >>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > >>
    > >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------

    > Ran into the "missing hal.dll" error on a couple computers. Found that
    > hal.dll is a file that isn't actually needed. Followed the path
    > specified by the "missing file" report and created an empty file at that
    > location and labeled it "hal.dll"....problem solved... You might wasnt
    > to give this a try...
    >
    > HTH,
    > Fred

    For more information on hal.dll search the Internet for Hardware Abstraction
    Layer.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > Thanks for the post. The hard disk failed read diagnostics and was finally
    > replaced (so far without further problems. Apparently hal.dll can be
    caused
    > by multiple problems.
    > Ron D
    >
    > "Fred" wrote:
    >
    > > Ron D wrote:
    > > > I have the same problem on a Dell Dimension 8400, Attempts to recover
    have
    > > > all been unsuccessful. When I try to get to winddows pro xp setup from
    the
    > > > installation CD, the screen freezes when the 3 choices are 1) press
    enter 2)
    > > > press r 3) press f3 (none of the 3 options work). I also checked the
    hard
    > > > drive diagnostics (using f12 at bootup) and get the message "fail
    return
    > > > code: 7". Dell assumes the whole problem to be a bad hard drive. Is
    there any
    > > > possibility that they are mistaken and that there is a software fix?
    > > > Replacing the hard drive, reinstalling all programs, and losing prior
    data is
    > > > my other option.
    > > > Ron D

    >>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&p
    roduct=71013&dlc=en?=en

    > > Ran into the "missing hal.dll" error on a couple computers. Found that
    > > hal.dll is a file that isn't actually needed. Followed the path
    > > specified by the "missing file" report and created an empty file at that
    > > location and labeled it "hal.dll"....problem solved... You might wasnt
    > > to give this a try...
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > Fred

DLL Hewlett Packard Windows XP