Before I installed XP Pro, I was enjoying top modem speeds of around 50 kbs.
After the install, the speed dropped to 26.4 on good days. Then SP2 came
along and it increased to a whopping 28.8. I've seen these same numbers all
over this newsgroup, all of which leads me to believe that there is
something with XP , most likely in the registry, that can be adjusted to
receive the full speed from the modem.
Has anyone found where I could make these adjustments?

doghousechef wrote:
> Before I installed XP Pro, I was enjoying top modem speeds of around
> 50 kbs. After the install, the speed dropped to 26.4 on good days.
> Then SP2 came along and it increased to a whopping 28.8. I've seen
> these same numbers all over this newsgroup, all of which leads me to
> believe that there is something with XP , most likely in the
> registry, that can be adjusted to receive the full speed from the
> modem.
> Has anyone found where I could make these adjustments?

I seriously doubt that sp2 had affected the dialup speed. I wonder,
though, if the modem driver is correct, or if there was a V.90 or
similar driver patch that was installed previously, but is not installed
post-sp2?

"Quaoar" wrote:

> doghousechef wrote:
> > Before I installed XP Pro, I was enjoying top modem speeds of around
> > 50 kbs. After the install, the speed dropped to 26.4 on good days.
> > Then SP2 came along and it increased to a whopping 28.8. I've seen
> > these same numbers all over this newsgroup, all of which leads me to
> > believe that there is something with XP , most likely in the
> > registry, that can be adjusted to receive the full speed from the
> > modem.
> > Has anyone found where I could make these adjustments?
>
> I seriously doubt that sp2 had affected the dialup speed. I wonder,
> though, if the modem driver is correct, or if there was a V.90 or
> similar driver patch that was installed previously, but is not installed
> post-sp2?

It did affect the dial-up speed. When I installed the SP2, the speed
increased slightly. I had done nothing else to the modem. Like I said, I
was enjoying good speeds before I installed XP! I actually have two modems
installed on my machine and they both responded the same way, with the exact
same speeds. Now, if there was something wrong with things outside the
operating system, statistics would suggest that speeds would vary from
machine to machine. However, I looked at several posts talking about dial-up
speeds, and the same numbers ( 26.4 and 28.8 ) were in all of them. This
suggests a strong correlation! If it is the drivers, why did they get
replaced. I installed the factory driver when I put on my OS. What's the
deal?

doghousechef wrote:
> "Quaoar" wrote:
>
>> doghousechef wrote:
>>> Before I installed XP Pro, I was enjoying top modem speeds of around
>>> 50 kbs. After the install, the speed dropped to 26.4 on good days.
>>> Then SP2 came along and it increased to a whopping 28.8. I've seen
>>> these same numbers all over this newsgroup, all of which leads me
>>> to believe that there is something with XP , most likely in the
>>> registry, that can be adjusted to receive the full speed from the
>>> modem.
>>> Has anyone found where I could make these adjustments?
>>
>> I seriously doubt that sp2 had affected the dialup speed. I wonder,
>> though, if the modem driver is correct, or if there was a V.90 or
>> similar driver patch that was installed previously, but is not
>> installed post-sp2?

> It did affect the dial-up speed. When I installed the SP2, the speed
> increased slightly. I had done nothing else to the modem. Like I
> said, I was enjoying good speeds before I installed XP! I actually
> have two modems installed on my machine and they both responded the
> same way, with the exact same speeds. Now, if there was something
> wrong with things outside the operating system, statistics would
> suggest that speeds would vary from machine to machine. However, I
> looked at several posts talking about dial-up speeds, and the same
> numbers ( 26.4 and 28.8 ) were in all of them. This suggests a
> strong correlation! If it is the drivers, why did they get replaced.
> I installed the factory driver when I put on my OS. What's the deal?

I think the only test of the actual connection speed is to do a large
download and time it. Many modems report 40K-50K connection speeds that
cannot be verified as other than 26.4K or so. Some modems report the
speed that it is capable of delivering as the connection speed unless
the "report the actual connection speed" switch is set in the dialing
properties. Some modems retrain to lower speed after that initial
connection speed message. The only way to verify is to test, IMO.

OTOH, have you checked that the driver and any patches are correctly
installed? Have a look at the telephone modem speed test at
www.broadbandreports.com , and the telephone modem forums for some help
with determining the speed.