Modem problem with Presario 1810 laptop

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 1810 laptop and I’m having problem with the
configuration (detect) of the internal modem in Win2k, as you know it
originally comes with Win98. I have tried with many drivers and I
couldn’t get it work for me (don't detect it). Can someone help me with
this problem?.., what is the correct driver?.

Thanks in advanced,

Porthos
2 answers Last reply
More about modem problem presario 1810 laptop

    You will need to purchase a PCMCIA modem that comes with W2K drivers. None
    are available for the internal modem since W2K is not a supported OS on the
    1810.
    HH

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<GEPec.1242$FB1.1201@fe25.usenetserver.com>...
    > You will need to purchase a PCMCIA modem that comes with W2K drivers. None
    > are available for the internal modem since W2K is not a supported OS on the
    > 1810.
    > HH
    >
    > "Porthos" <fgeronimo@nospam.codetel.net.do> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a Compaq Presario 1810 laptop and I'm having problem with the
    > > configuration (detect) of the internal modem in Win2k, as you know it
    > > originally comes with Win98. I have tried with many drivers and I
    > > couldn't get it work for me (don't detect it). Can someone help me with
    > > this problem?.., what is the correct driver?.

    HH is right. You are better off getting a Pcmcia modem. Something in
    the 1810 bios doesn't allow Win2K/XP to set the resources for the
    modem. If you even try to set the resource manually it too won't work.
    Even the most current lucent/conexant driver will not work either.
    Just an aside, if you have to do a warm restart in Win2K does your
    system freeze when it attempts to reboot and the only way to clear it
    is to power off and then on again? I could never solve this problem on
    the 1810. I had the same problem when I tried running Linux and BSD
    too on the 1810. However, WinNT 4.0, Win98, and WinME had no problems
    restarting from a warm boot. I eventually gave up and traded my 1810
    at a local computer shop for a used Armada M700. It works quite nice
    with Win2K and Linux. =)

Compaq Laptops Presario Modem Computers