can't change allocated swapfile size

Hi all - we have a WinXP Pro machine behaving strangely. I can, as
administrator, change the pagefile size, but it always shows me 1536
allocated. The system SAYS the min-max size on drive c: is 2048, but under
allocated, it never changes from the 1536. There is over 30Gb free on the
drive. There are no problems booting. Other machines are showing the min-max
size as allocated. (We run a large software that recommends min equal to max.
We've been told this prevents fragmentation.)
Anyone know what's going on?
Thanks a ton.
Gary
2 answers Last reply
More about change allocated swapfile size

    Are you by any chance running NAV 2004 with Autoprotect on during system
    boot? If so, besides losing control of pagefile size & location, your
    pagefile is probably ALSO being recreated (& moved) on each reboot.

    To disable the Auto-Protect advanced option, perform the steps provided
    below:

    1. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV).
    2. Click on Options.
    3. Double click on Auto-Protect under System.
    4. Click on Advanced.
    5. Under 'How to increase Windows start up protection' uncheck 'Load
    Auto-Protect during system boot'.
    6. Click on OK.
    7. Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists.

    To check whether your Norton AntiVirus is working properly, you can perform
    an EICAR test. Refer to the link provided below to perform an EICAR test:

    Title: 'How to use the EICAR test string to test Norton AntiVirus'
    Document ID: 19975295056
    Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/19975295056

    Old versions of ZoneAlarm can also make you lose control of the paging file.

    "garyme2" <garyme2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all - we have a WinXP Pro machine behaving strangely. I can, as
    > administrator, change the pagefile size, but it always shows me 1536
    > allocated. The system SAYS the min-max size on drive c: is 2048, but under
    > allocated, it never changes from the 1536. There is over 30Gb free on the
    > drive. There are no problems booting. Other machines are showing the
    > min-max
    > size as allocated. (We run a large software that recommends min equal to
    > max.
    > We've been told this prevents fragmentation.)
    > Anyone know what's going on?
    > Thanks a ton.
    > Gary

    Hi Gary

    Please try the following article by Alex Nichol:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "garyme2" <garyme2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all - we have a WinXP Pro machine behaving strangely. I can, as
    > administrator, change the pagefile size, but it always shows me 1536
    > allocated. The system SAYS the min-max size on drive c: is 2048, but under
    > allocated, it never changes from the 1536. There is over 30Gb free on the
    > drive. There are no problems booting. Other machines are showing the
    > min-max
    > size as allocated. (We run a large software that recommends min equal to
    > max.
    > We've been told this prevents fragmentation.)
    > Anyone know what's going on?
    > Thanks a ton.
    > Gary

Windows XP