Sudden Trouble w/ XP Pro!

Greetings. I've had Win XP Pro installed on a new system for about 2 years
now and suddenly nothing wants to work. When I boot up, Windows loads
normally but then I get this error message:
"TRdww:c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe: rundll32.exe" also "The application
failed to initialize properly (0x0000005) click ok to terminate application"
Upon doing so ONLY Microsoft Word will run. Nothing else will, no internet
explorer or any other application. When I reboot in 'safe mode' most things
will work...except the printer spooler (I assume drivers are not loaded)
I've run several Anti-virus scans and have turned up nothing. I've also done
a system-restore to an earlier time and no change! I would appreciate any
help.
I've ordered another HD and am condsidering doing a clean install of Windows
and everything else. However, if this is a virus or worm I don't want to
tranfer it between HD's ( I want to have two)
Thank you in advance for your help!

Thought about spyware?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Klaxzon" <Klaxzon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings. I've had Win XP Pro installed on a new system for about 2 years
> now and suddenly nothing wants to work. When I boot up, Windows loads
> normally but then I get this error message:
> "TRdww:c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe: rundll32.exe" also "The
application
> failed to initialize properly (0x0000005) click ok to terminate
application"
> Upon doing so ONLY Microsoft Word will run. Nothing else will, no internet
> explorer or any other application. When I reboot in 'safe mode' most
things
> will work...except the printer spooler (I assume drivers are not loaded)
> I've run several Anti-virus scans and have turned up nothing. I've also
done
> a system-restore to an earlier time and no change! I would appreciate any
> help.
> I've ordered another HD and am condsidering doing a clean install of
Windows
> and everything else. However, if this is a virus or worm I don't want to
> tranfer it between HD's ( I want to have two)
> Thank you in advance for your help!

angelf

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have the same exact problem as the person who posted this message. Is there a solution without having the headache of formatting the drive?