Best CPU Motherboard Combo

G

Hey everyone,

I am looking to do a hard core upgrade as I haven't upgraded my PC in a while and wanted to get some feedback on the best CPU Motherboard combo to use.

I am looking to spend around 500.00 for CPU and Motherboard. Any suggestions would be greatly apprciated.

Jeff

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you REALLY wat to spend THAT MUCH money, I suggest the Abit TH7-II and a Socket 478 P4.
But if you want the best performing chip for the price, the AMD T-Bird "C" 1.4GHz is only around $100, and the ECS K7S5A is a top performing baord with ultimate stability/reliability for only around $60. Spend the rest of your money on other parts.

Back to you Tom...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, a P4 on a TH7-II RAID is a good combo.

you could get a AthlonXP 1800 and the Epox KT266A board, Asus havent made one yet.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Add to your list an enermax power supply, for extra quiet and overclocking. I use a shuttle ak31 version 3.1, and with alot of tweaking, I am finally able to run it at 150 fsb. I left off the windows security upgrade and norton anti-virus files, which seem to slow the system down. A simple bios upgrade while in windows, and it's ready for the xp. The next amd event and giveaway are happening at Barton creek mall tomorrow morning in south austin.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you own one? Do you know anyone who owns one? How do you know that KT266A works like it's supposed to? Benchmarks from reviews? HAH! If you think a review of a motherboard prooves its' value, when the only thing mounted on the board durring the test is a video card, your sadly mistaken! Does it have bugs similar to former VIA chipsets? NOONE KNOWS, so shut up until you do.

Back to you Tom...