network problems/Exchange/workstation performance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

We are having severe network problems and IT can't figure it out. My
workstation, among others', is suffering serious overall performance loss.

One of the symptoms is that everyone's getting "requesting data" from
Outlook as it constantly communicates with Exchange. One of the theories is
that the Exchange issue is causing so much network traffic that it's slowing
everything down. The other theory is that there is a network bottleneck
through either a bad switch or this $#$$%%# laser connection between the two
buildings (which were on the losing side of).

I can't seem to diagnose anything on my windows machine but I see in my Task
manager Processes tab that the CPU Usage for "System Idle Processes" hovers
at least in the 50's and more often in the 80's and 90's even when I barely
have anything open.

Any thoughts on the matter?

--
_____
DC G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

There are too many variables involved to give an intelligent response. It
could be network traffic problems, it could be a problem with the Exchange
server, it could be poor infrastructure, it could be ...

"DC beloved patriot" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
> We are having severe network problems and IT can't figure it out. My
> workstation, among others', is suffering serious overall performance loss.
>
> One of the symptoms is that everyone's getting "requesting data" from
> Outlook as it constantly communicates with Exchange. One of the theories
> is
> that the Exchange issue is causing so much network traffic that it's
> slowing
> everything down. The other theory is that there is a network bottleneck
> through either a bad switch or this $#$$%%# laser connection between the
> two
> buildings (which were on the losing side of).
>
> I can't seem to diagnose anything on my windows machine but I see in my
> Task
> manager Processes tab that the CPU Usage for "System Idle Processes"
> hovers
> at least in the 50's and more often in the 80's and 90's even when I
> barely
> have anything open.
>
> Any thoughts on the matter?
>
> --
> _____
> DC G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Why don't you start by creating a baseline of your network traffic. You need
to know what travels on your network and how much of it. What is the high
and low periods of specific traffic types. I am not asking you to get a IDS
(would be good if you go into that direction), but still knowing about your
traffic solves a lot of issues..

So one day when you have a problem and you collect some traffic samples, you
could compare that against the baseline and you would know which is in or
out of the the regular traffic. e.g. you could identity somebody was running
shareware, chat software , online games. You never have to go from PC to PC
or runs scripts to collect information.

If you collect data peridocally, over time you would see a certain kind of
trend in your bandwidth usage. You could plan ahead of time for upgrade etc.
One of the best examples i have was when there is a widespread worm/virus
attack, just monitoring your traffic would tell you if your network is
infected.

/Gill

"DC beloved patriot" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
> We are having severe network problems and IT can't figure it out. My
> workstation, among others', is suffering serious overall performance loss.
>
> One of the symptoms is that everyone's getting "requesting data" from
> Outlook as it constantly communicates with Exchange. One of the theories
> is
> that the Exchange issue is causing so much network traffic that it's
> slowing
> everything down. The other theory is that there is a network bottleneck
> through either a bad switch or this $#$$%%# laser connection between the
> two
> buildings (which were on the losing side of).
>
> I can't seem to diagnose anything on my windows machine but I see in my
> Task
> manager Processes tab that the CPU Usage for "System Idle Processes"
> hovers
> at least in the 50's and more often in the 80's and 90's even when I
> barely
> have anything open.
>
> Any thoughts on the matter?
>
> --
> _____
> DC G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I don't manage the network and it's not really my job...but I would like to
be able to monitor it anyway. How can I create a baseline of my network
traffic? Is there a tool to do so?

I have my own 3com switch with 2 servers and a workstation in my office.
The switch is plugged into the company's standard network jack. Am I
monitoring at the switch level? Workstation? All?

What are the tools I need?

_____
Glenn

"Sarbjit Singh Gill" <ssgill.NO.SPAM@NO.SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why don't you start by creating a baseline of your network traffic. You
need
> to know what travels on your network and how much of it. What is the high
> and low periods of specific traffic types. I am not asking you to get a
IDS
> (would be good if you go into that direction), but still knowing about
your
> traffic solves a lot of issues..
>
> So one day when you have a problem and you collect some traffic samples,
you
> could compare that against the baseline and you would know which is in or
> out of the the regular traffic. e.g. you could identity somebody was
running
> shareware, chat software , online games. You never have to go from PC to
PC
> or runs scripts to collect information.
>
> If you collect data peridocally, over time you would see a certain kind of
> trend in your bandwidth usage. You could plan ahead of time for upgrade
etc.
> One of the best examples i have was when there is a widespread worm/virus
> attack, just monitoring your traffic would tell you if your network is
> infected.
>
> /Gill
>

> "DC beloved patriot" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
> > We are having severe network problems and IT can't figure it out. My
> > workstation, among others', is suffering serious overall performance
loss.

> > One of the symptoms is that everyone's getting "requesting data" from
> > Outlook as it constantly communicates with Exchange. One of the
theories
> > is
> > that the Exchange issue is causing so much network traffic that it's
> > slowing
> > everything down. The other theory is that there is a network bottleneck
> > through either a bad switch or this $#$$%%# laser connection between the
> > two
> > buildings (which were on the losing side of).
> >
> > I can't seem to diagnose anything on my windows machine but I see in my
> > Task
> > manager Processes tab that the CPU Usage for "System Idle Processes"
> > hovers
> > at least in the 50's and more often in the 80's and 90's even when I
> > barely
> > have anything open.
> >
> > Any thoughts on the matter?
> >
> > --
> > _____
> > DC G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You could start by using Microsoft Network Monitor or Ethereal for network
traffic. The other tool would be Microsoft System Monitor (Performance
Monitor). Here is a simple document which talks about the basics of
collecting network traffic and identifying what is normal what is not. It is
a high-level overview.
http://www.giac.org/practical/Marc_Duggan_GSEC.doc

Where should you scan? Well like you said, a whole bunch of machines are
having this problem. So the best place would be to capture traffic at the
servers and network monitor performance values at the server.

Don't rule out the switch being the culprit in slowing network connecitivy
and name resolution. Look at everything between your workstation and the
server.

Here is a link to the Windows 2003 Server Performance Counter reference:
(you would find something similar to win2K too)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/dssbd_topo_dljo.asp

and
HOW TO: Use Network Monitor to Capture Network Traffic
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812953

Kind Regards
Gill

What