Can one antenna transmit CDMA and TDMA?

I'm curious, can the same antenna transmit TDMA and CDMA, or would you have
to have two different antennas on the same tower to do this? And along
those lines, do TDMA and CDMA antennas look different?

Thanks...

Same antenna, regardless of protocol.

"John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in

> Same antenna, regardless of protocol.

So one antenna can simultaneously transmit/recieve CDMA and TDMA?

WW wrote:

> "John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in
>
> > Same antenna, regardless of protocol.
> >

> So one antenna can simultaneously transmit/recieve CDMA and TDMA?

Certainly.

x-no-archive:yes
It real-world terms, there are very few areas where the same carrier is using
both TDMA & CDMA in the same market.
If Verizon, for example had both TDMA & CDMA in your area, they could use one
antenna on a pole or tower.
Most often, you will see 2, 3 even 5 or so sets of similar antennas mounted to
a pole or tower, since different companies (VZW, Cing, ATT, Sprint), NEVER
share antennas, only the tower or structure they are mounted on.

"WW" <WizWack@home.com> wrote in message
> I'm curious, can the same antenna transmit TDMA and CDMA, or would you
have
> to have two different antennas on the same tower to do this? And along
> those lines, do TDMA and CDMA antennas look different?
>
> Thanks...

There is no reason that 2 or more carriers can't share a common antenna as
long s they are in the same band.
The antenna doesnt care about the modulation scheme..TDMA,CDMA,GSM,AMPS.
RF is RF...
This is a common practice in 2-way radio.

> There is no reason that 2 or more carriers can't share a common antenna as
> long s they are in the same band.
> The antenna doesnt care about the modulation scheme..TDMA,CDMA,GSM,AMPS.
> RF is RF...
> This is a common practice in 2-way radio.

Often when a antenna/feedline is used by more than one device then Isolators
and Circulators are used to allow the RF flow out the antenna. Otherwise all
sorts of problems develop such as intermod inteference. The loss in such
devices limit the number of things that can be connected to one antenna. The
other downside or upside is devices connected to the same antenna have the
same pattern of coverage.

"WW"

| > Same antenna, regardless of protocol.
| >

| So one antenna can simultaneously transmit/receive CDMA and TDMA?

If you are talking about the base stations the answer is yes. Not only that
depending on the design of the system the antenna can handle a lot more than
TDMA/CDMA

Mobile side is a bit more complicated.

"ADVANSPEC" <advanspec@aol.com.ze> wrote in message
| x-no-archive:yes
| It real-world terms, there are very few areas where the same carrier is
using
| both TDMA & CDMA in the same market.
| If Verizon, for example had both TDMA & CDMA in your area, they could
use one
| antenna on a pole or tower.
| Most often, you will see 2, 3 even 5 or so sets of similar antennas
mounted to
| a pole or tower, since different companies (VZW, Cing, ATT, Sprint), NEVER
| share antennas, only the tower or structure they are mounted on.

Technically they can share antennas, as to NEVER ... in a few areas the
carriers have made agreements with the local zoning authority to do just
that.

Janice

Well aren't you brilliant. Go back to posting in
rec.arts.movies.erotica. Perhaps you are more knowledgeable there. From
reading your posts, that seems to be the case.

x-no-archive:yes From: "Not Me" me@privacy.net :
".. in a few areas the carriers have made agreements with the local zoning
authority to do just that..."

I am not aware of any local zoning authorities that regulate the actual
electronics on the tower (Antennas & xmitters), that should be the FCC.
Are you sure you don't mean that the carriers are sharing the Tower,
monopole or rooftop per zoning (which is common), but not the actual antenna
panels??
A friend is a VZW cellsite tech, & he confirmed that here in the NYC market at
least, VZW has Never sent their signals into an antenna panel being also
used/owned by another carrier. They have co-located, however, on many towers,
buildings & monopoles along with the other carriers, some of these structures
are even owned by the other carrier....

Antennas are based on Freq, so it would matter if your talking about a
PCS CDMA system and a 800 MHz TDMA.

Also you would need a splitter for each line, which is a 3 dB loss, and
available power is a part of capacity.

So its possible, but would never, ever happen

--
kownbey

"kownbey"

| Antennas are based on Freq, so it would matter if your talking about a
| PCS CDMA system and a 800 MHz TDMA.
|
| Also you would need a splitter for each line, which is a 3 dB loss, and
| available power is a part of capacity.
|
| So its possible, but would never, ever happen

Antenna can be multi band and work efficiently not quite as well as single
band antenna but close enough for government work.

Splitters are necessary only for closely spaced systems there are other
coupling tricks that are not so inefficient.