pcmcia with external antenna

Hello.
I'm looking for a pcmcia card 802.11G+ (108Mbs/s) with possibility to
connect an external antenna.
The best card for me should be with 300mW.

Does it exist ?

(Sorry for my bad english)

Mams
7 answers Last reply
More about pcmcia external antenna

    Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
    I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but only
    with 54Mb/s speed.

    Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna with
    speed 108Mb/s.

    Mams

    41d3464d$0$15027$626a14ce@news.free.fr...

    "Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
    > I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but only
    > with 54Mb/s speed.
    >
    > Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna
    > with speed 108Mb/s.

    no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
    network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls and
    30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and had no signal
    problems at all so far.

    Daniel

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:16:32 -0000, "Daniel Bennett"
    <daniel@djb10.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
    >> I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but only
    >> with 54Mb/s speed.
    >>
    >> Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna
    >> with speed 108Mb/s.
    >
    >no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
    >network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls and
    >30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and had no signal
    >problems at all so far.

    But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
    correct me if I am wrong.

    <omni@zmaxdap.com.spam> a écrit dans le message de news:
    4g1bt0pqnjtsth1mcn10cr5mfuo8qobbls@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:16:32 -0000, "Daniel Bennett"
    > <daniel@djb10.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message
    >>> Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
    >>> I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but
    >>> only
    >>> with 54Mb/s speed.
    >>>
    >>> Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna
    >>> with speed 108Mb/s.
    >>
    >>no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
    >>network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls and
    >>30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and had no
    >>signal
    >>problems at all so far.
    >
    > But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
    > correct me if I am wrong.

    You're rigth !. The Belkin Pre N haven't got connection for an external
    antenna.

    No other help ?

    Mams wrote:
    > <omni@zmaxdap.com.spam> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 4g1bt0pqnjtsth1mcn10cr5mfuo8qobbls@4ax.com...
    >> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:16:32 -0000, "Daniel Bennett"
    >> <daniel@djb10.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message

    >>> no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
    >>> network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls
    >>> and 30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and
    >>> had no signal
    >>> problems at all so far.
    >>
    >> But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
    >> correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    > You're rigth !. The Belkin Pre N haven't got connection for an
    > external antenna.
    >
    > No other help ?

    You don't say what type of router you have. There is *NO* standard for 108,
    only for 54... To do 108, it is a special feature that ONLY works between
    same cards/wap/routers, and is manufacturer specific.
    IE If you have a dlink router set for 108, other manufacturers cards/and
    built in wireless in most computers, won't work at 108 with it (only 54
    max). While there are many manufacturers that make pcmcia/cardbus cards with
    external antenna adapters, they may not work with the wap/router you have
    and want 108 connections too.

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news: 33p86mF40b7siU1@individual.net...
    > Mams wrote:
    >> <omni@zmaxdap.com.spam> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> 4g1bt0pqnjtsth1mcn10cr5mfuo8qobbls@4ax.com...

    >>> But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
    >>> correct me if I am wrong.
    >>
    >> You're rigth !. The Belkin Pre N haven't got connection for an
    >> external antenna.
    >>
    >> No other help ?
    >
    > You don't say what type of router you have. There is *NO* standard for
    > 108, only for 54... To do 108, it is a special feature that ONLY works
    > between same cards/wap/routers, and is manufacturer specific.
    > IE If you have a dlink router set for 108, other manufacturers cards/and
    > built in wireless in most computers, won't work at 108 with it (only 54
    > max). While there are many manufacturers that make pcmcia/cardbus cards
    > with external antenna adapters, they may not work with the wap/router you
    > have and want 108 connections too.

    Thanks for your answer.
    I use multiple routers, at home, at office and at office's customers.
    I know now i can't use 108Mb/s every where, so i'll buy a 54Mb/s. Which do
    you advise ?
    I need the most powerful possible. In France it's limited to 100mW but i'd
    like a 300mW or 200mW
    I think i can buy it in US.
    And, which omnidirectional antenna and directional do you advise ?

    Mams

    > Thanks for your answer.
    > I use multiple routers, at home, at office and at office's customers.
    > I know now i can't use 108Mb/s every where, so i'll buy a 54Mb/s.
    > Which do you advise ?
    > I need the most powerful possible. In France it's limited to 100mW
    > but i'd like a 300mW or 200mW
    > I think i can buy it in US.
    > And, which omnidirectional antenna and directional do you advise ?
    >
    > Mams

    The ones I've been using at work, and may be available near you (they are
    worlwide, but I have no idea what they can sell legally/where, they do have
    300mw stuff, but you may have to get someone to buy it and mail it to you,
    i'd offer but I am on vacation in a motel in Las Vegas NV) are the smc
    cards, at www.smc.com important note, log in as a business user rather than
    a home user (much bigger and better selection). They have both pci and
    pcmcia/cardbus, regular and high-power, etc They also have a wide range of
    antennas.. Omni to directional.

    Just an aside, while I personally used the High power PCMCIA card, and the
    SMCANT-6, in certain circumstances (like now) I use the external USB device
    (not a huge loss from long cable runs like having the antenna and cable) Ex:
    At work, I have a metal shell truck with the USB device mounted in a
    weatherproof box on the roof (about 12 FT in the air).. Nowadays I use the
    high power card in the laptop when running around, and in the truck, I just
    plug the usb connector in. Don't know your exact situation, but the USB also
    allows an external antenna, at home I have the USB device in the attic and a
    highly directional antenna on the roof aimed at my workplace 7.5 miles away
    (have high speed cable there).

    Just out of curiosity, what type of wap/router do you use? Don't know if it
    is legal by you, but heres a link for modifying certain AP's to 251 mw,
    rather than the puny 28.
    <pasted info below from another message>
    >> It looks like the "hackable" models are the WRT54G and WAP54G, and the
    >> best firmware upgrade isn't free, but cheap, from SveaSoft-
    >> http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php Stock power is 28mw, the
    >> Svea firmware will let you boost that up to 251mw.

Wireless PCMCIA Internet Wireless Networking