pcmcia with external antenna

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 4:05:21 AM

Hello.
I'm looking for a pcmcia card 802.11G+ (108Mbs/s) with possibility to
connect an external antenna.
The best card for me should be with 300mW.

Does it exist ?

(Sorry for my bad english)

Mams
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 10:32:47 PM

Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but only
with 54Mb/s speed.

Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna with
speed 108Mb/s.

Mams

"Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> a écrit dans le message de news:
41d3464d$0$15027$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> Hello.
> I'm looking for a pcmcia card 802.11G+ (108Mbs/s) with possibility to
> connect an external antenna.
> The best card for me should be with 300mW.
>
> Does it exist ?
>
> (Sorry for my bad english)
>
> Mams

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 31, 2004 12:16:32 AM

"Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message
> Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
> I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but only
> with 54Mb/s speed.
>
> Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna
> with speed 108Mb/s.

no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls and
30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and had no signal
problems at all so far.

Daniel
Related resources
December 31, 2004 8:02:34 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:16:32 -0000, "Daniel Bennett"
<daniel@djb10.co.uk> wrote:

>"Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message
>> Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
>> I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but only
>> with 54Mb/s speed.
>>
>> Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna
>> with speed 108Mb/s.
>
>no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
>network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls and
>30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and had no signal
>problems at all so far.

But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
correct me if I am wrong.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 2, 2005 4:55:52 AM

<omni@zmaxdap.com.spam> a écrit dans le message de news:
4g1bt0pqnjtsth1mcn10cr5mfuo8qobbls@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:16:32 -0000, "Daniel Bennett"
> <daniel@djb10.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message
>>> Perhaps you don't use the word "pcmcia" but rather use "cardbus" !?
>>> I found a cardbus with possibility to connect an eternal antenna but
>>> only
>>> with 54Mb/s speed.
>>>
>>> Please, help me to find a cardbus with a connector for external antenna
>>> with speed 108Mb/s.
>>
>>no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
>>network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls and
>>30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and had no
>>signal
>>problems at all so far.
>
> But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
> correct me if I am wrong.

You're rigth !. The Belkin Pre N haven't got connection for an external
antenna.

No other help ?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 2, 2005 4:55:53 AM

Mams wrote:
> <omni@zmaxdap.com.spam> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 4g1bt0pqnjtsth1mcn10cr5mfuo8qobbls@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:16:32 -0000, "Daniel Bennett"
>> <daniel@djb10.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> "Mams" <mamofil@kikoo.fr> wrote in message

>>> no idea about antenna but what range you looking for, i have a pre-n
>>> network(belkin) and i get excellent signal through to brick walls
>>> and 30ft.I've not tested it further yet. I use wpa encryption and
>>> had no signal
>>> problems at all so far.
>>
>> But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
>> correct me if I am wrong.
>
> You're rigth !. The Belkin Pre N haven't got connection for an
> external antenna.
>
> No other help ?

You don't say what type of router you have. There is *NO* standard for 108,
only for 54... To do 108, it is a special feature that ONLY works between
same cards/wap/routers, and is manufacturer specific.
IE If you have a dlink router set for 108, other manufacturers cards/and
built in wireless in most computers, won't work at 108 with it (only 54
max). While there are many manufacturers that make pcmcia/cardbus cards with
external antenna adapters, they may not work with the wap/router you have
and want 108 connections too.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 3, 2005 6:07:42 AM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: 33p86mF40b7siU1@individual.net...
> Mams wrote:
>> <omni@zmaxdap.com.spam> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> 4g1bt0pqnjtsth1mcn10cr5mfuo8qobbls@4ax.com...

>>> But the Belkin Pre N apparently won't allow an external antenna....
>>> correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> You're rigth !. The Belkin Pre N haven't got connection for an
>> external antenna.
>>
>> No other help ?
>
> You don't say what type of router you have. There is *NO* standard for
> 108, only for 54... To do 108, it is a special feature that ONLY works
> between same cards/wap/routers, and is manufacturer specific.
> IE If you have a dlink router set for 108, other manufacturers cards/and
> built in wireless in most computers, won't work at 108 with it (only 54
> max). While there are many manufacturers that make pcmcia/cardbus cards
> with external antenna adapters, they may not work with the wap/router you
> have and want 108 connections too.

Thanks for your answer.
I use multiple routers, at home, at office and at office's customers.
I know now i can't use 108Mb/s every where, so i'll buy a 54Mb/s. Which do
you advise ?
I need the most powerful possible. In France it's limited to 100mW but i'd
like a 300mW or 200mW
I think i can buy it in US.
And, which omnidirectional antenna and directional do you advise ?

Mams
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 3, 2005 6:07:43 AM

> Thanks for your answer.
> I use multiple routers, at home, at office and at office's customers.
> I know now i can't use 108Mb/s every where, so i'll buy a 54Mb/s.
> Which do you advise ?
> I need the most powerful possible. In France it's limited to 100mW
> but i'd like a 300mW or 200mW
> I think i can buy it in US.
> And, which omnidirectional antenna and directional do you advise ?
>
> Mams

The ones I've been using at work, and may be available near you (they are
worlwide, but I have no idea what they can sell legally/where, they do have
300mw stuff, but you may have to get someone to buy it and mail it to you,
i'd offer but I am on vacation in a motel in Las Vegas NV) are the smc
cards, at www.smc.com important note, log in as a business user rather than
a home user (much bigger and better selection). They have both pci and
pcmcia/cardbus, regular and high-power, etc They also have a wide range of
antennas.. Omni to directional.

Just an aside, while I personally used the High power PCMCIA card, and the
SMCANT-6, in certain circumstances (like now) I use the external USB device
(not a huge loss from long cable runs like having the antenna and cable) Ex:
At work, I have a metal shell truck with the USB device mounted in a
weatherproof box on the roof (about 12 FT in the air).. Nowadays I use the
high power card in the laptop when running around, and in the truck, I just
plug the usb connector in. Don't know your exact situation, but the USB also
allows an external antenna, at home I have the USB device in the attic and a
highly directional antenna on the roof aimed at my workplace 7.5 miles away
(have high speed cable there).

Just out of curiosity, what type of wap/router do you use? Don't know if it
is legal by you, but heres a link for modifying certain AP's to 251 mw,
rather than the puny 28.
<pasted info below from another message>

!