Hi All
I have a lot of old 78 record albums and would like to put them on a CD how
do I go about doing that ?
Thank You--
Ed

How to backup your music collection
http://digitope.com/digitalizer/top1.htm

WUGNET - Media Digitalizer - Windows XP/2000/NT Shareware
http://www.wugnet.com/shareware/spow.asp?ID=504

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23D8M2e3xEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Ed Hricik <edd19@enter.net> hunted and pecked:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:50:43 -0500, "Ed Hricik" <edd19@enter.net>
wrote:

>Hi All
>I have a lot of old 78 record albums and would like to put them on a CD how
>do I go about doing that ?
>Thank You--
>Ed

I have done the same with audio cassette.
Good results,even if I say so myself!.
Connect the turntable to an ampifier.
Connect the amplifiers "line out" or "record out" to
the "line in" on the pc's soundcard.

Open the soundcards mixer and enable line in and
record. Use a program such as Microsoft's sound recorder
to record the albums.

Once you get the basics working, main thing to ensure is
that the record level is not set too high - this will cause
clipping as the wave form peaks and flattens out. To be avoided at
all costs.
Good luck -
Dave

Ed

There's a fine freeware application called Audacity that you will really
need to transfer LPs to CD. It'll allow you to do some editing, eliminate
much of the surface hiss/noise and you can monitor as you record. I've used
it and another very good application called Wave Repair (I think I paid
$30.00 for that one) which I really love. You will, of course, have to
install your turntable through the sound card's line in (for recording) and
line out (for monitoring if you're connected through an audio receiver as I
am) but once the table's installed it's a breeze.

I have done many, many of my old jazz recordings from the forties and
fifties and they sound great after being cleaned up and transferred to CD.
The big danger is that, like me, you'll get hooked on the process and spend
far too much time doing the transfers and edits.

Good Luck, Dan

Ed Hricik wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a lot of old 78 record albums and would like to put them on a
> CD how do I go about doing that ?
> Thank You--
> Ed

If you don't have a turntable that runs at 78rpm you may want to buy (about
$7.00) this small app RIPvinyl at www.ripvinyl.com .

Resorurces:
http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html
http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/index.htm
http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm
http://www.zisman.ca/Recording/index.html

I have put over 200 78s onto CD (using RIPvinyl). I found that since my
turntable does not have a spherical stylus there is a lot more hiss than if
a 78 compatible stylus was used. Make sure you clean the 78s first and I
found floating the stylus on a health layer of silicone spray lube greatly
helps the sound.
--
Remove nospam in email