Sign in with
Your question

GA-7DXR USB & Floppy & PCI Sys Man' Bus

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2001 12:58:50 PM

Greeting, please help me before I chuck this thing out the window.

I've been getting a windows blue screen error when ever I try to use a USB device. I install the software, plug in the device and get promted to insert the Windows 98 cd. After loading some data I get this error message:

A fatal exception OE has occured at 0028:FF053A60 in VXD
HIDCLASS(01) + 00000F40. The current application will be terminated.

Upon rebooting, I get a windows protection error. I then reboot in safe mode, remove the Human Interface Devices under system in control panel & all is ok again, but of course I haven't installed my USB devices.

This happens on any USB device.

Gigabyte said flash my Bios to version F7 (from F6). This I did (last night) & all seemed to work, usb devices ok etc. Then this morning, turn on PC & same old problem.

Also, now I can't stop it showing two floppy drives, even though in the bios I've told it there is no 'B' drive.

Also (yes there more, sorry) I can't seem to be able to install the drivers for the PCI System Management Bus. It goes throught the motions but upon resart there is still a yellow question mark next to it.

Could the USB problem be down to dodgy RAM.

I'm new to this, as you will have realised. I'd be grateful for some help.

Thanks in advance

James

PS. Anyone know where I can buy a Silverado Noise control in the UK?

AMD 1.4 TB 266 fsb
GA-7DXR f7
400watt PSU
256 Crucial PC2100 DDr ram
LS120 Floppy Drive
Windows 98 (First edition)
Dragon Orb 3 H'sink/fan which is going back to the shop as it's too bloody noisy.
Creative GeForce GTS2
Network Card
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2001 6:17:46 AM

Cummon people, please give us some help here.

J
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2001 8:12:31 AM

Hmm... I would be tempted to flash the bios again, assuming the utility provided allows you to. But this time CLEAR THE BIOS after the flash. See the manual about that.

You may want to try clearing the bios first before reflashing.

Other than that, it may be an idea to download the latest via 4 in 1 drivers (sorry no link) and install WITHOUT the agp driver. Then install AMD's AGP driver.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...

I had a problem with Gigabyte's drivers both supplied and off their site. It gave me a 'buss mastering' device error in device manager. Installing the standard 4in1 Vias solved that problem and may help.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2001 6:17:42 AM

Thanks Trickle, I did as you suggested.

Things are looking much better. Floppy problem was me being a twat though I still have a USB problem.

If I look in system properties under USB, Everything has doubled up,
I have the following:

USB ROOT HUB
USB ROOT HUB
VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI TO USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROL
VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI TO USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROL

When I remove these in safe mode, after restaring, it just installs 2
of everything again. Surely this is wrong, how can I stop it doing this?

When I look at the IRQ allocations, there is also some doubling up, Here is the list of IRQ allocation:
00 SYSTEM TIMER
01 KEYBOARD
02 PROGRAMMABLE INTERRUPT CONTROLLER
03 COM PORT 2
04 COM PORT 1
05 ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING
05 CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER PCI128
05 CONEXANT PCI MODEM ENUMERATOR
06 STANDARD FLOPPY DISC CONTROLLER
07 PRINTER PORT LPT1
08 SYSTEM CMOS/REAL TIME CLOCK
09 SCI IRQ USED BY ACPI BUS
10 ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING
10 PCI PLUG & PLAY ETHERNET CARD
10 CREATIVE GB0010
11 ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING
11 WIN 95-98 PROMISE ULTRA 100(TM) IDE CONTROLLER (PDC20265)
11 VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI TO USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROL
11 VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI TO USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROL
12 PS/2 COMPATIBLE MOUSE PORT
13 NUMERIC DATA PROCESSOR
14 VIA BUS MASTER PCI IDE CONTROLLER
14 PRIMARY IDE CONTROLLER (DUAL FIFO)
15 VIA BUS MASTER PCI IDE CONTROLLER
15 PRIMARY IDE CONTROLLER (DUAL FIFO)

Would someone let me know how I can clean this up. I know USB shouldn't share IRQ with any other device, so I presume this could be my problem.

Thanks for any help

James
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2001 11:28:17 AM

Cummon experts, please help me out on this one.

J
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2001 12:21:43 AM

If you have 4 usb ports it is normal to have 2 devices in system manager.Your IDE controller card is sharing an IRQ with your USB Your video card is sharing with your Ethernet card Which is not good..The easyest way to free up some IRQs is to dissable all unused ports. If you are not using the serial ports ,Dissable them in the bios. Same with printer port etc... If you are not using the onboard IDE controllers , dissable them also.Evreything you dissable frees up an IRQ.
This may help, but VIA is known to have problems with USB

I aint signing nothing!!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2001 10:43:29 PM

>>"If I look in system properties under USB, Everything has doubled up,"

As criswell said that is normal. Also, he was right suggesting tring to shift the irq off the promise away from the USB ports - but I think.... *think* there is no way to get round that without dissabling the promise controler (you do that with the jumper on the board).
I think the bios sets the usb ports on the same irq - I will check, as I currently have it dissabled on my sytem.

What on earth is the system clock doing with an irq??? Did you reinstall the via 4 in 1's? (I cant see now I'm in reply mode) I really dont think its going to be an irq issue. Ive currently got problems with my USB mouse and I rekon it may be because I didnt wipe the bios after the last flash... must get round to doing that - but Dark Age of Camelot is taking all my time up at the mo :) 
October 25, 2001 11:39:49 PM

did you install the via 4-1 drivers? just so you know you do not install via drivers on a the 7dxr! it is a AMD chipset so you need to instal AMD drivers. if you did install via drivers... do a clean install of windows and do not install via drivers but instead install the amd drivers and that should fix it up.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2001 6:23:39 AM

Hi all, thanks for your help so far.

I did install Via's 4 in 1 drivers, apart from the AGP driver. I used AMD's as suggested.

So I need the AMD drivers, not the Via ones. When you refer to the chipset, are you refering to the northbridge & southbridge, in which case, isn't one AMD & one VIA.

Man, am I confused.

Anyway, I can disable my serial ports as Rick suggested. I presume I can change irq allocation in the bios??? Is an IRQ given to a pci component or their slot, i.e, can I move pci cards around to change their irq?

Re-install Windows again. I'm getting good at that :0) Think I'll just buy XP. I tried uninstalling my game voice & it comes up with some error & won't uninstall. Thought I'd clean off all usb devices. Maybe a reinstall would be a good idea.

Well, thanks for your help. I'm learning loads. Apart from this problem, the system seems stable.

James
October 26, 2001 4:22:02 PM

It's a hybrid.

The North Bridge is the AMD main chipset
The South Bridge is the VIA secondary chipset

What the drivers (4in1) due is drive the memory, agp, cpu and everything near the north (excluding your peripherals such as USB and parrallel port and onboard audio and video. The agp port i believe is driven (or controlled) by the north bridge same with the PCI databus.

So the North bridge is the main component that drives (hence the name drivers for software) your hardware. WHen you install the wrong drivers those drivers tells the hardware to drive it's data incorrectly resulting in crashes, blue screens and extreme slowdown of your computer.

ALso please trust me! someone else had the same issues clean swipe reinstalled windows and installed the AMD drivers instead and it worked fine after that. I had the same problem because i have the same board! Thats why i know.

DO NOT INSTALL VIA DRIVERS ON A AMD BOARD. :)  The only VIA drivers you need to concern yourself with are the via IDE busmaster drivers. Which it is recommended that you install the standard microsoft drivers anyway.

SO NO via drivers needed!

-to the general public

Hear me everyone! DO not install VIA drivers on your AMD board! Have you ever wondered why there arn't any via drivers loaded on the CD? it's because you do not need them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUH!

ok! got it now!
Good!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 4:14:25 PM

>>>"I did install Via's 4 in 1 drivers, apart from the AGP driver. I used AMD's as suggested."

Thats fine.

>>>"Anyway, I can disable my serial ports as Rick suggested. I presume I can change irq allocation in the bios??? Is an IRQ given to a pci component or their slot, i.e, can I move pci cards around to change their irq?"

Changing PCI slot will change your IRQ if you specify in the bios that you want a particular slot to have a specific one. Also, not that you may be force to share an irq with USB ports etc, if it is in a certain slot - there is no getting round that with the DXR - not a significant issue really though.
October 27, 2001 4:35:08 PM

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by troopr on 10/27/01 12:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 27, 2001 5:52:47 PM

Quote:
So I need the AMD drivers, not the Via ones.

You need both of them. AMD's AGP miniport (for graphic card) and VIA 4-in-1 drivers but don't install its AGP driver.
Try install <A HREF="http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/driver/detail.jsp?hDr_id=1... &hDr_os=1&hDr_ver=1.08" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>USB filter driver</A></b></font color=blue> to see if your problem go away.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
October 27, 2001 6:37:50 PM

Quote:
The only VIA drivers you need to concern yourself with are the via IDE busmaster drivers. Which it is recommended that you install the standard microsoft drivers anyway. SO NO via drivers needed!-to the general public Hear me everyone! DO not install VIA drivers on your AMD board!

I don't know about your experience, but I do have Abit KG7-RAID which has same chipset as GigaByte GA-7DXR. The VIA drivers does improve my Hard disk transfer rate much better than Microsoft's especially in WinME ( I have Dualboot Win2000Pro and WinME).
Quote:
Have you ever wondered why there arn't any via drivers loaded on the CD? it's because you do not need them!!

In my <b>Abit CD</b>, it does provide VIA's drivers.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
October 27, 2001 7:29:36 PM

"I don't know about your experience, but I do have Abit KG7-RAID which has same chipset as GigaByte GA-7DXR. The VIA drivers does improve my Hard disk transfer rate much better than Microsoft's especially in WinME ( I have Dualboot Win2000Pro and WinME)."

that has nothing to do with the north bridge now does it?

Now go ahead and try enabling DMA and see what happens :) 
At least up to version 4.32 when you enabled DMA your cd-roms go bye bye.

"In my Abit CD, it does provide VIA's drivers."

And what drivers are those? 4-in-1 drivers? Or the VIA IDE bus mastering drivers? I do believe i was talking about the 4-in-1 drivers.

you people need to learn how to freakin read! stupid i swear... reread what i said!!!! because obviously you have not read it.

October 28, 2001 1:02:20 AM

Quote:
Now go ahead and try enabling DMA and see what happens :) 
At least up to version 4.32 when you enabled DMA your cd-roms go bye bye.

It's already been DMA enabled, and all my peripherals are working normally (IBM 60GXP ATA100 40Gb, IBM 34GXP ATA66 27.3Gb and Pioneer DVD-116).
Quote:
And what drivers are those? 4-in-1 drivers? Or the VIA IDE bus mastering drivers? I do believe i was talking about the 4-in-1 drivers.

It's called <b>'VIA Service Pack Drivers'</b> and I believe it is another name of 4-in-1 drivers because it has a <b><font color=red>ReadMe Text</b></font color=red> that clearly states <b><font color=blue>VIA 4-in-1 drivers</b></font color=blue> printed on it!!! and its drivers are
1. VIA ATAPI Vendor Support driver (it is IDE Bus Master driver, isn't it?).
2. AGP VxD driver (which I didn't install on my KG7).
3. IRQ Routing Miniport driver.
4. VIA Inf driver.
The most important thing is I did install VIA 4-in-1 drivers (4.32 downloaded from VIA Tech) and it works right without any problem.
Can you discuss this matter without insulting?
FYI, in Abit KG7's manual, they said you can and I quote
>><font color=blue>No matter or what, you can install VIA service pack first then install AMD AGP miniport driver, or you want to reverse the sequence</font color=blue><< (<b>Page B-1, Appendix B</b>)

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2001 5:04:11 AM

Should I install the via 4 in 1 drivers?

Only joking, only joking.

I'm waiting for the delivery of Windows XP & a new cpu cooler so will try what you recommend when they arrive.

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens. Just want to thank all you knowledgeable people again for taking the time to debate this one. I really appreciate the help.

J
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2001 5:15:48 AM

Just to let you all know. I installed Win XP & all my problems went away.

Didi a check & it had installed all of the AMD 4 in 1 drivers.

Anyway, apart from new problems with XP, all is fine now with regard to USB

Thanks again for your help

J
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2001 10:25:43 AM

We wernt much help ;) 
!