external hard drive

I had a power outage and when I started my computer my storage drive green
light just keeps blinking and when I go into My Computer the drive is not
there.I unplugged everything and reinstalled and it still will not work and
I have all my important stuff on that Disk is there away I can fix this and
get my stuff back
Thank You
Ed

Try Shutting down the computer, unplug the USB port from the hard
drive to the computer and then unplug the power from the hard drive.
This resets everything. Start the computer and when it is up and
running put the power back on the external hard drive and then plug in
the USB port. Windows should then see the drive and set it up.
TonySper

"Ed Hricik" <edd19@enter.net> wrote in message
I had a power outage and when I started my computer my storage drive
green
light just keeps blinking and when I go into My Computer the drive is
not
there.I unplugged everything and reinstalled and it still will not
work and
I have all my important stuff on that Disk is there away I can fix
this and
get my stuff back
Thank You
Ed

That did not work. Now I called Tech support and they told me the back was
not working. They also said I could take the hard drive out of the external
case and install it in my computer.Anyone know where can I find info on how
to do this ?
Thank You
Ed
..
"Ed Hricik" <edd19@enter.net> wrote in message
>I had a power outage and when I started my computer my storage drive green
>light just keeps blinking and when I go into My Computer the drive is not
>there.I unplugged everything and reinstalled and it still will not work and
>I have all my important stuff on that Disk is there away I can fix this and
>get my stuff back
> Thank You
> Ed

If the above doesn't solve your problem then go to device manager & check ur
USB cards driver. May be it is not installed or may be xp has installed
default driver for that. If that is the case then Install proper driver for
your usb card that came with your motherboard (or usb card) cd.
this problem can also occur if you use USB 2.0 HDD on USB 1.1 port.

i know it's happened b'coz of power outage problem but if you have important
data then this is worth tryin!

gud luck!

> I had a power outage and when I started my computer my storage drive green
> light just keeps blinking and when I go into My Computer the drive is not
> there.I unplugged everything and reinstalled and it still will not work
and
> I have all my important stuff on that Disk is there away I can fix this
and
> get my stuff back
> Thank You
> Ed

Ed,
I did just that with my external drive. I took it out of the case and
saw that it is just a plain hard drive. I set up the jumper setting to
be a slave, made sure that my C drive was set up for master and
everything works just fine. I wonder if you ever set up the drive??
Did you Fdrive it and then Format the drive?? If you did not do this
you will not be able to see it.

That did not work. Now I called Tech support and they told me the back
was
not working. They also said I could take the hard drive out of the
external
case and install it in my computer.Anyone know where can I find info
on how
to do this ?
Thank You
Ed
..
"Ed Hricik" <edd19@enter.net> wrote in message
>I had a power outage and when I started my computer my storage drive
>green
>light just keeps blinking and when I go into My Computer the drive is
>not
>there.I unplugged everything and reinstalled and it still will not
>work and
>I have all my important stuff on that Disk is there away I can fix
>this and
>get my stuff back
> Thank You
> Ed

Had wondered about doing the inverse, using an internal HD
and using it externally, saving like$75 or so?????
TIA
H.D.

You will need a device that will connect your hard drive to the USB
port. That is all that is in the external box. I do not know if you
can purchase such a thing but if they have it in the external box you
would think someone could purchase one. The box also contains the
power supply for the hard drive. The 12 and 5 volt supply. You could
just add an extension to the power supply plug in the computer and run
it external. The problem with that is that it would not be very
convenient to change it from computer to computer.
TonySper

"HappyDaze" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Had wondered about doing the inverse, using an internal HD
and using it externally, saving like$75 or so?????
TIA
H.D.

Yes this is available. I have one such. It mounts any good hard drive and is
connected through a USB 2.0 card which you will need. The card will come
with driver software and it becomes just like any other drive. I have 2
internal drives and 1 external drive. As a matter you can stack them and add
even more of these drives.

"TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> You will need a device that will connect your hard drive to the USB
> port. That is all that is in the external box. I do not know if you
> can purchase such a thing but if they have it in the external box you
> would think someone could purchase one. The box also contains the
> power supply for the hard drive. The 12 and 5 volt supply. You could
> just add an extension to the power supply plug in the computer and run
> it external. The problem with that is that it would not be very
> convenient to change it from computer to computer.
> TonySper
>
> "HappyDaze" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Had wondered about doing the inverse, using an internal HD
> and using it externally, saving like$75 or so?????
> TIA
> H.D.

Thanks to all, It was a big help. Again a great big thank you. Best news
group around
Ed