How Much Should I Upgrade for Skyrim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott42

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @3.00 GHz
Video Card: GTX 570
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 667 (which I will upgrade)
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D
OS: Windows 7 32-bit (which I will upgrade to 64-bit for more RAM)
Monitor: 1440 x 900
PSU: 750W

The E6850 has always done me well, but I've had it for years, and Skyrim recommends a quad-core. Do I really need it? Based on other games that recommend four cores, does it usually make much of a difference? If so, will an older quad-core compatible with my motherboard do, or will I need a new motherboard to support a newer processor? My current motherboard has an LGA 775 CPU socket.

My motherboard will only support up to PC2 800 RAM. I know this is a tad obsolete, but it's not such a big deal that I need a new motherboard, right? Also, should I get 4 gigs, or should I get 6 to be safe?

And does a 64-bit OS have something to do with the CPU? I know it lets you use more RAM, but I vaguely remember it being relevant to the CPU somehow.

If you can't tell, I like a high-end PC, but I'm not a total enthusiast. I want a stable 30+ FPS, but I don't need 60+. I want to be able to run it at 1440 x 900, with close-to-max draw distance. Anti-aliasing is a plus, but not a necessity, and I wouldn't likely go over x4 unless I had plenty of power to spare, which I doubt I will.

Thanks!

Solution
I dont know what kind of budget you have or anything like that, but I would say its about time for an upgrade on your mobo, cpu, and ram... A dual core might be able to play Skyrim, since you have a 570 gpu, but I am almost 100 percent sure your CPU is a bottleneck for your GPU. Since you seem to like intel, there are a few cheap builds that could last you for a few more years. But Like I said I dont know your budget. A 64 bit OS is for higher amounts of RAM, so if you wanted to have 6 gigs of ram, you would need a 64 bit OS. So imo, get a SB quad core CPU and release the potential of your vid card

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I dont know what kind of budget you have or anything like that, but I would say its about time for an upgrade on your mobo, cpu, and ram... A dual core might be able to play Skyrim, since you have a 570 gpu, but I am almost 100 percent sure your CPU is a bottleneck for your GPU. Since you seem to like intel, there are a few cheap builds that could last you for a few more years. But Like I said I dont know your budget. A 64 bit OS is for higher amounts of RAM, so if you wanted to have 6 gigs of ram, you would need a 64 bit OS. So imo, get a SB quad core CPU and release the potential of your vid card

Solution
i'd get a q9550/9450 and more RAM. Look at toms Bf3 review and see how little difference CPU scaling makes, by changing your whole platform you'll get little benefit. My belief is that a 2.5+GHz quad will last you for another 2 years. A platform upgrade probably 3 years. So get the quad and upgrade in 2 years, beyond ivy bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.