Intel can't fool me!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel, you can't fool me, I KNOW you made the TE430VX motherboard, I KNOW about the problems with the VX chipset and SDRAM, even if you try to remove such evidence from your website!
For the rest of you, see how much information you can find on Intel's website conceerning the TE430VX. It's not on their motherboards archive list. I think they're ashamed of it!

Back to you Tom...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, there is nothing on many things on intel sites.

and they do say on theirsite that the <A HREF="http://appzone.intel.com/year2000lookup/detail.asp?intProductID=3303&intLanguageID=1" target="_new">TX430VX is not y2k compliant</A>! perhaps this is the only evidence they forgot to remove.

but they do admit that the VX has problems with some SDRAM chips on their support pages.

btw this board is branded Gateway almost everywhere.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's also the board Dell used in their DIMM sloted Pentium motherboards. And the Dell has better BIOS. But Dell usues a BIOS program that verifies the previous version of BIOS is Dell. And the BIOS itself is hidden in the setup file (DOS executable). Microfirmware offers a FIXED BIOS that is Y2K compliant and supports HUGE hard drives (up to 127GB!), but it cost $45 and I can't find any, uh, free stuff, you know the sites I mean.
Since I started working on computers this new about 3 years ago, Intel has had NO SUPPORT for this motherboard, which was also available in generic form for system integrators (not just Gateway, but any OEM)! The problem I'm having is that this one won't support over 16MB of the "Old" style PC66. As it is the VX only supports up to 2MB/chip for each module (aka 2x), that's 8 chips for a 16MB module and 16 chips for a 32MB module. I keep these around as spares because they are about 10x the price of newer memory.

I can run a single sided chip in it that works fine, but a double sided chip won't even boot, and I have verified these on other VX motherboards. Even the Dell I had would run them. But the Gateway won't and I think it's a BIOS issue.

Back to you Tom...