BF3 Performance / System Lag / Stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted to share up my issues.

So I'm getting some weird issues. Here is my pc specs.

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz
16 Gigs DDR3 G Skill SDRAM
EVGA GTX 570 (latest drivers 285.62)
OCZ Solid 3 SSD 120gig (have my os installed on this and currently bf3) (incorrectly labled it agility earlier)
Sound Blaster XFI Fatality (older one with front panel for pc with inputs on it)
(Onboard sound controller has been disabled)

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 Bronze

Now I can get anywhere from 60-85fps constant on servers but every so often I get major spikes. First I thought it was lag until i kept up task manager and my fps displayed in bf3 and saw that the CPU was spiking like mad and as a result the frame rate dropped drastically.

There is no way my system should be dropping like this. Anyone else having these issues? I was playing on ultra (everything) ran fine but with these issues. So I dropped down to full on medium and it still had it. So I don't think it's the game but I could be mistaken.

Any clues?

Also note it is doing this on low settings across the board too.

FPS will drop from 80-12 in seconds then back up

This is beyond frustrating. Never had these issues.

1562960474.png

Any ideas? Maybe a memory leak? Bad CPU management in BF3 code?

Just get's bad when flying and people getting mad because I fly right into a tree or some other obstacle that normally I would have avoided.

pleasehelp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hey I am getting the same problem. I also have a GTX 570, but its Gigabyte with 3 turbo lift fans. I am playing it on ultra, 1920X1200 resolution, and 4XAA. I get a constant 30-45 fps...perfectly playable. I get massive spikes also, where it drops to like 3 fps, totally freezes, then goes back to normal. I have ruled out over heating, since it maxes at 67C. I have latest driver also.

My specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo OC 3.4ghz
4 GB ddr2 800mghz
Xfi Fitali1ty Xtreme Gamer Edition sound card
1 TB HDD 7200 RPM
GTX 570

I have a better processor then you and you have more RAM then I, so we can pretty much rule out each of those....unless like you said has something to do with bad coding.
Look at this
bf3_2011_10_30_16_57_48_595.jpg

bf3_2011_10_30_16_49_57_796.jpg

bf3_2011_10_30_16_52_38_099.jpg

bf3_2011_10_30_16_57_54_441.jpg

Now that graph shows that neither the CPU or Graphics card are bottle necking, since they are constantly aligned with each other. I don't know what to do but this issue is ruining the game for me.

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
We both have the xfi sound cards. I wonder if those may be the issue. Its a long shot but now i am curious. I didnt have issues with rage or bad company 2 but i wonder if it is indeed the sound card.

Still like ya said its killing the experience for me. I just want this to get figured out bc damn this games sexy.

pleasehelp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Yeah i know. You should try doing this console command and show me what happens on yours.

render.displayfps 1
and
render.perfoverlayenable 1

then a post a few pics and lets compare graphics.

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
will do after dinner here. Gonna give that a shot and might take out the xfi card and uninstall all traces to see if it fixes anything. I'm just shuttering at the onboard sound thoughts now already.

pleasehelp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Ok looks like we have identical problems. I talked to some other people, they mentioned turning down the AA to 2X. This seems logical. I will try that when I get a chance and see if that helps. I don't think it has anything to do with the Creative Card, because I also use my G35 headphones which don't use the card and it still happened.

dlong

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I get the same stuttering problem with CF 5850's. frames go from 80-1 periodically.
i downloaded the latest drivers 11:10 v3 + cap4. i play on high with AA off. but everything is fine when i play with a single gpu

thinking about ditching these cards to get one beefier card. this is ridiculous

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
dlong... see i don't get this. it makes no sense at all to me. I have done everything I can to optimize my rig and get things up to speed but the constant stuttering is beyond lame.

I am a 3d artist and have worked on quite a few games and know all about the horrors of qa and the bugs those guys send and it's impossible to test every scenario as far as pc goes but this just isn't right.

Having a pretty beefy setup with a good video card should run this game with no issues. Like I said earlier. Even on low settings it hitches and stutters.. Just doesn't make sense to me.

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Just uninstalled my audio and video drivers and did clean installs and still getting the spikes on my cpu.

Even overclocked cpu to 3.63 from 3.4 to see if it helped at all.

Nothing noticable.

pleasehelp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Under Nvidia Control Panel go under specific programs, BF3, and change the power management mode to Maximum Performance. Also try turning the Anti Aliasing Post to totally off or low.

I turned off my AA, and I didn't get any stuttering for the last 1.5 hours I played. So I don't know if that fixed it for sure, but it definitely helped.

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I'll give that a shot.

I also just did this.

Set my nvidia to compute the physx instead of letting system decide.

physx.JPG

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Tried turning off my AA post and it still had issues.

Fired Rage up again and now I'm having issues there as well.

I was playing rage pretty smooth with my old 9800GTX 512mb card up until I decided to upgrade to a GTX570 and get a new power supply.

Just doesn't make any sense why I'm getting these issues.

I really don't want to format my system and redo everything only to find out I still have the issues.

Damn PC gaming....

mrmaffen

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
doubleposting cause there seem to be 2 posts containing the same issue:

im having the exact same issue like you "pleasehelp" ... i really did try everything i could think of. i underclocked and overclocked my gpu and cpu (there for ram), i checked the temps, i updated the bios of my gpu and my motherboard, i updated every driver i could think of, i defragmentated my hdd, i tried every videosetting preset from low to ultra to custom settings. i tried turning off AA, which finally seems to helped at least a little bit, but i still have no fun playing bf3 because of these extremely annoying lag spikes (fps drops). the problem i have does appear in singleplayer / coop and in multiplayer mode.

my system:
- intel core 2 duo e8500 @ 4gHz
- 4gb aeneon ram @ 1066 mHZ
- gigabyte 1024mb 560 ti overclocked edition
- hitachi 1 tb hdd
- asus p5k se-epu mainboard

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

What do you mean? I have the phenom x4 chip. So who am I kidding?

Still the cpu spikes caused are relative to the FPS drop because they seem to happen at exactly the same time. Something is going on with this game that isn't right.

darklabeley55

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I have this same issue. It seemed like an overheating issue it was so bad. It was almost as if my integrated graphics card was taking over or the cpu was overheating. It happens randomly. not too often. Should be a problem with the game. My cpu is i5-2500k w/a gtx 465 OC. Load around 70c for both. But when this happened I looked @ my processes and I saw that rtvscan was going, which is symantec's anti-virus scanning. I ended the process and it was fine.

Nenketsu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I have found a solution to the problem that has worked for me. I was having lag spikes a lot so I looked in to it and found AMD's Cool 'n Quiet to be the problem. Intel also has a similar program called Intel Speed Up Technology, and disabling this in the BIOS should fix your problem. Also I'll throw in a workaround I have found for alt+tab issues in-game. Open Windows Task Manager and set it to "Always On Top" and then run BF3, when you alt+tab it will tab to the Task Manager and work correctly. Have fun!

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I've disabled cool 'n quiet. Everything is set to run at max at all times if possible.

I do 3d art for a living and try to make sure i get the most out of my system at all times as I'll have 3ds max, photoshop, zbrush and sometimes Unreal 3 (Unreal Development Kit) open.

This is why this is so puzzling to me.

Nenketsu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
That's really strange, I was really having a hard time with it too until I did that. I suppose it's best to pray that DICE fixes their poor coding errors and puts out a patch quickly. I wish you the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.